Need mentoring in mixing

All I believe that some mentoring or guidance will get me there a little more efficiently

Mentoring keeps coming up.
Now I mean no disrespect, but it sounds like you want someone to hold your hand.

With all the pros on youtube sharing their hard earned wisdom, and with the mp3 clinic here all too willing to lend a hand, you've got it made.

As others have said practice doing it. How do you think the masters learned in a pre internet world? They did it. And if they were fortunate enough to make coffee and sweep the floor, and put away mics and cables in a studio, they kept their eyes and ears open to gather the tricks of the trade.

Nowadays it's easy, just do a youtube search and find out everything you need to know. For free!

Start posting in the mp3 clinic, maybe sign up for an online mix academy.
But do it, suffer on through. Just like you did when learning to play the guitar.

Brings to mind an old Ringo Starr song. "It don't come easy".
There's a line in there;
"you've got to pay your dues if you want to play the blues, you know it don't come easy"
:D

I shared a wav on google drive with another member who was very helpful and specific in pointing out an issue in the high end and midrange which actually may have been technically related to the wiring of a few mic preamps. I will re record those tracks now that it is fixed and report back. Thanks all!

Yes room can help. However I’ve recorded in holes in the Wall in Brooklyn with my bands and they came out pro. Keith Richards amp was stuffed in a closet for brown sugar and i am playing on a vintage tele and tweed amp and my sound is flatter. Using tape and a console. The talent of a mixing engineer makes a big difference.

When I talked about the room, I was really thinking more about the control room. Most of us tend to record and mix in the same room or employ a live end-dead dead strategy. If you're lucky, you've remodeled your house a built something in the yard which allows for multiple rooms.

My guess is that the guy (or girl) who mixed Brown Sugar was not stuffed in a closet, but a properly treated control room. Although you never know. Rock music is replete with strange anecdotes. My favorite is the tale of the DC punk band, Bad Brains, and their not so epic recording of the song Sacred Love. I guess the lead vocalist was in jail at the time, so he had to phone it in--literally. I doubt, however, that they mixed the song over the phone. I'm guessing that the mix took place in a nice control room in the wilds of New York City. Of course, it is old school punk and I think they were on the Discord label. So you never know.

I shared a wav on google drive with another member who was very helpful and specific in pointing out an issue in the high end and midrange which actually may have been technically related to the wiring of a few mic preamps. I will re record those tracks now that it is fixed and report back. Thanks all!

I have to admit that I'm curious about this. What was the technical issue with the "wiring" of some of the mic pre-amps that caused the mid and high frequency issues?

I have to admit that I'm curious about this. What was the technical issue with the "wiring" of some of the mic pre-amps that caused the mid and high frequency issues?

maybe he used red wire instead of green wire

folks on gearslutz swear taht the wire color changes the sound

My preamps were modded for selectable high band from fixed high band but later after tracking I noted a tremendous fixed boost when engaged that upon analysis turns out to cover up to frequencies beyond the human hearing range. Thus the imaging of the music is completely off. This has been fixed in the interim but its affect on the tracking is still there. I will re track and hopefully the issue is solved (or it may reveal something else). We will see.

My preamps were modded for selectable high band from fixed high band but later after tracking I noted a tremendous fixed boost when engaged that upon analysis turns out to cover up to frequencies beyond the human hearing range. Thus the imaging of the music is completely off. This has been fixed in the interim but its affect on the tracking is still there. I will re track and hopefully the issue is solved (or it may reveal something else). We will see.

why would you mod a preamp

especially taht way ?

Funny. I guess every forum is full sarcasm

if only

the idiots in that discussion believed the wire color made a difference

they were goldeneared stereosnobs who think they can hear ANY difference between two wires
and that the color of the wire somehow changed the capacitance which changed the freq response and they could hear it

I’m all for the mentoring thing. There is nothing wrong with seeking advice from professionals. I did it a lot, now I get work from those very same mentors. That said it wasn’t until I put in a lot of time editing, and mixing, working on recording techniques, mastering my DAW of choice. I did use mentors though, I think they’re extremely valuable resource. If you don’t have one, find a good experienced home recording person near you to talk with. You can also do what I did a couple times. Record the best tracks you can, then book a mixing session with a friendly pro that knows you are coming in for mixing advice. It’s quite helpful to have an engineer show you, with you sitting there being able to hear what he hears.

It can take a bit of time to train your ears. Learn techniques, get a system down that you like, and learn when to be flexible with that system.

I’m all for the mentoring thing. There is nothing wrong with seeking advice from professionals. I did it a lot, now I get work from those very same mentors. That said it wasn’t until I put in a lot of time editing, and mixing, working on recording techniques, mastering my DAW of choice. I did use mentors though, I think they’re extremely valuable resource. If you don’t have one, find a good experienced home recording person near you to talk with. You can also do what I did a couple times. Record the best tracks you can, then book a mixing session with a friendly pro that knows you are coming in for mixing advice. It’s quite helpful to have an engineer show you, with you sitting there being able to hear what he hears.

It can take a bit of time to train your ears. Learn techniques, get a system down that you like, and learn when to be flexible with that system.

I agree. Mentorship is such a big part of so many professions. Why would this be any different.

why would you mod a preamp

especially taht way ?

1073 ——> 1084

I agree. Mentorship is such a big part of so many professions. Why would this be any different.

That's true. But I try to avoid anything that was dealt with in great detail by a Seinfeld episode. Besides, if I got a mentor, I would be the mentee. And I believe that's too close to Mentos, exploding liters of Coke, and the Foo Fighters. :D

That's true. But I try to avoid anything that was dealt with in great detail by a Seinfeld episode. Besides, if I got a mentor, I would be the mentee. And I believe that's too close to Mentos, exploding liters of Coke, and the Foo Fighters. :D
You ever try fighting foo? It's tough. Real tough.
:D

Back