Need higher quality MP3 converter

c-funk

I have a nice wave file of a bass,guitar,sax jazz trio. There is a good amount of reverb on the guitar. When I convert to MP3 with soundforge or wavelab, the guitar solo (when it is just guitar and bass) sounds like it has a ring modulator on it. Everything else sounds fine, the guitar playing chords sounds fine, the bass in that section sounds fine, but the guitar solo is all metallic and sounds almost like digital noise. Is there an MP3 converter of choice that people use?

Wavelab has an option to convert at 3 different speed/quality levels, and this happens even on highest quality, when it takes several minutes to do the conversion.

The Wavelab mp3 encoder (lame) is a pretty good one.

What version of Wavelab are you running. The one I have (ver 4) has 28 different encoding choices, 14 at 32,000 sample rate, and 14 more at 44,100 sample rate. All the way up to 320 kbps @ 44,100 - which is pretty damn close to CD quality.

Are you speaking about the 3 radio buttons at the bottom of the page? If so, leave that at highest quality, and click the down arrow underneath "constant bit rate." You should, at a minimum, be using 128 kbps @ 44,100. I typically use 192 kbps, which is a "fair" tradeoff between size and quality.

I think now, it's actually something to do with Windows Media Player. If I fast forward to the middle of the guitar solo, that's when I get the ring modulator. If I let it play, it's fine. And when I play it back in Soundforge, it's fine. Hopefully, that's a quirk of my computer, and other people that use Media Player will not have that experience.

Here are the files, for the curious
http://csua.berkeley.edu/~cody/xfer/3rdcoast/

Any comments about anything else would be appreciated, too.

Im listening with windows media player 9 and it sounds fine.I just fast forwarded to the guitar solo and nothing strange going on...sounds fine.This sounds like an analog recording.What did you record this on and what kinds of mics did you use?

Great playing.....gotta love that jazz.

Well, good to hear it is just my media player being weird.

bass direct off the transducer, and a room mic for guitar and sax. The Audio Technica ATM61HE. http://www.audio-technica.com/prodpro/profiles/ATM61HE.html

Into M-audio omni (which has 2 preamps) into delta 66, into Sonar. Messed with a little in Sonar and a little in Wavelab, but it's a complete take, no overdubs or editing of individual mistakes or anything. Just a little reverb and EQ. Oh, and some fake-stereo type chorus, and stereo separator on the room mic.

Encoded to mp3 as suggested by dachay2tnr

a good free cd ripper and multiple format converter is called CdnGo. Does oeverything and lets you choose between every different mp3 converter: Lame, gogo, many others and ogg.

Back