Need help on mix... bass, drums... everything!

Superhuman

Shagaholic
Need mixing advice - instrumental metal

Hi guys,

This is my first attempt at recording and mixing my own material (always had an engineer help me before) so please go easy on me!

As of yet there is no bass guitar in this track - still cant find a tone that suits, so if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great. I'll be playing a 5 string Washburn Bantam BB5 through a Sansamp Bass Driver DI.
If you can recommend a suitable Sansamp setting please let me know!

Also, I'm not sure how to approach the drums.... tips on how to make the most out of what I've got would be appreciated!

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Showband.asp?id=4890

Thanks in advance,
S

Last edited:
Yeah I have a bitch of a time with bass. Your tune sounds pretty good, but it really needs the bass to balance it up. Just throw something on there, compress the living sh1t out of it and run it through a distortion plug

Song & playing are good but there's no "fury".
Bass wise I'd suggest going DI or just straight in & then tweak about so long as you put a good boost at 3k.
If you must go sansamp pull up something that has a rolled off bottom & a peak around the 3k as mentioned - I'd have suggested a tube sim but with this style of music that's not really an issue is it?

Song & playing are good but there's no "fury".
Bass wise I'd suggest going DI or just straight in & then tweak about so long as you put a good boost at 3k.
If you must go sansamp pull up something that has a rolled off bottom & a peak around the 3k as mentioned - I'd have suggested a tube sim but with this style of music that's not really an issue is it?

Cool playing, man. Nothing to add other than you did a good job with the drum tracks, but it needs some crash cymbals occasionally. :D

Back