Need feedback please

I thought the vocalist sounded good. I thought the bass player was good.

Everything is bunched in the middle of the spectrum: Vocals, synths, snare, overheads, guitar, etc. All those things are struggling with each other.

The drums and synths have a bit of a cheap sound.

The reverb, especially on the vocal, makes it sound like an 80's mix. If that's what you want.

Some good guitar soloing.

Cymbals are very swishy/phasey - probably mangled by SoundCloud.

Vocal doubling got off at around 3:10.

It's a pretty good mix.

The first thing I'll pick on is the hi hats. They tend to dominate the instrumentation when they shouldn't. (I know. I know. They were loud during tracking.) One thing that project studios seem to always neglect to invest in is a good pair of hi hats just for recording. Even when drummers bring their own kits in, they should use your hats. Hats come in different sizes and thicknesses. Some are far louder than others. Generally, the larger and thicker they are, the louder.

A few years ago I went into my local drum shop and played a bunch until I found a smaller 13" (33cm) pair that were not very loud. They were used and ugly and way cheaper than the others there. But wow! They sound great on every recording I've ever used them on. They were higher pitched and had a really nice sounding "chick" when closed. Most importantly, they were not too loud. I still have them and they work well for almost all music styles. I can close mic snare drums and the hats don't over-bleed the track. They are right in the pocket where I want them to be.

The next thing I've noticed is the vocal track. It seems to have the mids cut away a bit too much. This singer sounds good, but her power is in the mid-range. It almost sounds like a smiley face type EQ was used on her and the power has been sucked out of the track. But, be careful here. You don't want too much mid-range either. There must be a perfect balance where her voice has more authority without sounding annoying. It also sounds like you've gone a little heavy on the compression. All of her lyrics sound the same volume to me.

Thirdly, with the key board (synth) part sounding similar to distorted guitar, you may want to separate it further from the rhythm guitar part. You can put more distance between the two by using panning, volume, reverb, or EQ to your advantage. You could even go so far as making the synth intro portion be in stereo and then where it becomes a background instrument, place it in mono and corner it somewhere less obvious in the mix just for balance.

All in all, it's a damn fine mix. You are not that far away from having it sound really nice.

Best.

Sounds pretty good to me. Something about the synths at the beginning seemed a little off, maybe high passed or something? Accompanied they sound fine. Drums seem like they might be panned a little wide? Maybe widening the vox a little would help. All the parts are really well performed, lead singer is fantastic. When all the parts are going, it sounds really full. Lead guitar level I might bring down a little, and the vox up.

Last edited:
here is my 2 cents. the vocal is great, she can really sing, the kick is a little distracting, sounds too mid rangy. I would dump from around 250 to 800, boost around 100 and 4k. the toms sound really good, the low tom, floor maybe? has a really good punch, try to get the kick in the same ballpark. hat and cymbals could back out a bit. overall not a bad mix, keep working it. :D

This is cool overall. The cymbals are very harsh. I would back them off first, and then maybe take a bit out of the harshness range in the 3-5k. Like someone else said, the kick could have a bit more punch by taking some of the mid range boxiness out.

I agree the vocals could have a touch of the mids given back, but not too much. If you left them alone, it would still sound real good.

Lead guitar has a really wonderful tone.

The whole mix is super 80s, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. As a throwback track it sounds great.

Well thank you everyone for the comments, I appreciated them! A few of you talked about the mid of the kick, what frequencies would you bring back for it

Martin

Back