Need a critique on metal mix...

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=7096

Hey I was wondering what you guys think of this mix sound-wise (not necessarily performance) as this is going to get re-tracked soon. I know the beginning clean guitar part gets repetitive but the guitarist wanted in enlongated to "play" around with his options as this is just a scratch mix.

The drums performance are going to be redone but which drums sound better- the "regular verse-parts" or the "breakdown"? I have two options here basically and want to know what to go with.

I was just wanting a opinion of the overal guitar tone, drum quality, stereo spread, high end and low end, etc more-so than the technicals of the performance itself.

Thanks in advance.

Guitars sound good to me......overall sounds good.......now I'm not a drummer (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night) and to me,the snare sounds a little whimpy and hollow........with a little ring to it.....maybe that's what you were going for........if so,just disreguard my drum comment...... :D

Lots of hiss in the intro. The intro guitars sound sort of tinny, and not very 'full'. When the distorted guitars finally come in, they sound sort of hollow like you over-did the 'metal EQ scoop'. The bass lacks enough punch to cut through. Can't really hear it. The drums sound pretty rough overall. The kick is present and appears to have a good sound to it for this genre, but like the bass its not really punching through. The snare is weak and distant and the cymbal crashes are panned too wide for my taste. Overall its a cool song. You just need to go back to the drawing board on everything to do it justice. I don't know if you need to retrack because the performance is pretty good. Maybe just get back to square one with the mixing.

Great! Thanks for the input. I should've stopped mixing when my instincts told me to. I overmixed this and anyway, your suggestions let me get my bearings straight.

Back