need to check balance and loudness

Please lend me your ears and headphones...

Mixed these two using headphones and pc speakers. i like to know how far it is from being balanced (bass, guitars, vocals, drums).
The playing is sloppy, and I used VST for the drums - not sure how real/fake they sound (tho they sound good to me :listeningmusic:)

Thanks!

The toms on track 1 make it sound fake. The way they're panned and move sounds unnatural to me.
The hi-hat, snare and kick sounded believable. A bit robotic as the track goes on.
The kick could be louder.

The whole mix was a bit drowned out but I think that that is the sound you are going for since it's rather consistant.

Song #1 I actually like the drums in this, but as stated, the kick could be more prominent, it comes through ok in a couple of spots, but mostly drowned. I can tell a bass is in there, but it could also be more distinct.
As for the song itself, I like the hell out of it. Almost made me thing of T-Rex for a second.

Similar crits for Song #2, except I liked the drums in #1 better. Bass is a bit better in this one.

I'm getting a peculiar vibe from these recordings like they were done with a 4 track using a distant mic.

Don't worry too much about your mixes at this point. You stated that the playing is sloppy, so that is your first order of business. Take care of that, then figure out how to record things in such a way that they sound great as recorded, then worry about how your mixes are coming across to others. I'm not trying to be pretentious here, and I'm sorry if I am assuming too much (or too little), and there is nothing wrong with asking for mix feedback no matter what level you are at, but there are bigger fish to fry here.

To answer your question though, on the first song, there are some low mid battles happening so that will make it a challenge to get levels to work well together. The vocals are too low. You also have some really prominent room noise that is going to make it hard to end up with clean, balanced mixes. The second song has the same problems, but in addition the vocals are pretty much completely buried.

I get the 'distant mic' sound,, too. Specially on the vocals on #2. Probably too much distortion on the guitars, they've lost all their tone definition, and there's no 'air' to the mixes overall.

For being mixed on headphones and PC speakers these don't sound too bad at all. I agree with all the above in general though. The mixes kind of remind me of The Shins first album or Beulah's first album. The songs have a similar vibe to early Beulah stuff.

It's a real struggle to define any of the lyrics though. They're buried and sound very muddy. Dropping the guitars a few dB along with a EQ cut to the lows could help with that.

As they are though they're not too bad at all. I just wish I could understand what you were singing.

:thumbs up:

I'm getting a peculiar vibe from these recordings like they were done with a 4 track using a distant mic.

Don't worry too much about your mixes at this point. You stated that the playing is sloppy, so that is your first order of business. Take care of that, then figure out how to record things in such a way that they sound great as recorded, then worry about how your mixes are coming across to others. I'm not trying to be pretentious here, and I'm sorry if I am assuming too much (or too little), and there is nothing wrong with asking for mix feedback no matter what level you are at, but there are bigger fish to fry here.

To answer your question though, on the first song, there are some low mid battles happening so that will make it a challenge to get levels to work well together. The vocals are too low. You also have some really prominent room noise that is going to make it hard to end up with clean, balanced mixes. The second song has the same problems, but in addition the vocals are pretty much completely buried.

First of all, thanks for pointing out the obvious.
I don't know exactly how that "peculiar 4-track/distant mic" do sound. But if you're referring to that early 90's "lo-fi" sound, I'd love to emulate that, though I don't know exactly what attributed to that. Cheap mic maybe, the amp hiss maybe. You also mentioned room noise. I don't know but here's my set-up. I'm open for any suggestion to improve it (or keep it for that "noise" effect).

guitar->dist.pedal->amp (15W)->mic dynamic (AT-X11)->Tascam US-100->Laptop (Reaper)

drums - I used a vst plugin, tho I don't really how to play 'real' drums (I guess that was obvious)

bass - I used the guitar, then downtuned 1 octave

vocals - used the same mic, no preamp, not distant (3-5" space), but prolly i wasn't singing really loud

room - bed room, 'untreated'

pc speakers 2.0, headphones (ATH-M30x) - for mixing

Song #1 I actually like the drums in this, but as stated, the kick could be more prominent, it comes through ok in a couple of spots, but mostly drowned. I can tell a bass is in there, but it could also be more distinct.
As for the song itself, I like the hell out of it. Almost made me thing of T-Rex for a second.

Similar crits for Song #2, except I liked the drums in #1 better. Bass is a bit better in this one.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
I am using pc speakers w/o sub woofer, maybe I was trying not to overcompensate the kick and bass.:facepalm:
Noted all your comments. Will redo these songs later.

Anyway, here's another I've recorded and mixed on the same weekend that I did track 01.
Actually, I found the bass and drums louder in this song, so probably this is closer.
I hope you can give it spin as well. thanks!

View attachment 03.mp3

or

I listened to track 1. The intro was a bit too long, but once the vocal got there I thought it was a cool song.

I agree that the main crunch guitar is missing some higher-end frequency. I'd like to hear more sizzle to it.

The cleaner guitar is a bit small sounding. Sounds a bit out of tune as well.

I'd nudge up the lead vocal. Maybe a little boost at 5K-6K or so.

Lots of cymbal crashes. Drums are a bit up front.

First of all, thanks for pointing out the obvious.
Written word... I'm not sure if this statement is accompanied by rolling eyes or not :).

I don't know exactly how that "peculiar 4-track/distant mic" do sound.
Yes you do, it sounds like this.

If I place a microphone a few feet (for example) from a sound source, it will not capture a lot in the way of transient information and it may (depending on the reflectivity of the room) capture secondary signal. It will also capture more of the sound of the room due to the influence of the room on the source and because of the increase in preamp gain compared to what is needed for a mic that is closer to the source at the same level. The result will be a sound that comes across as distant, indistinct, roomy and soft edged. This is neither intrinsically bad nor good. It depends on what you want to capture.

Prominent room noise or a sense of distance can be due to the stuff mentioned above, but can also be attributed to over compression as well as EQ and reverb settings at mix time.

But if you're referring to that early 90's "lo-fi" sound, I'd love to emulate that, though I don't know exactly what attributed to that. Cheap mic maybe, the amp hiss maybe. You also mentioned room noise. I don't know but here's my set-up. I'm open for any suggestion to improve it (or keep it for that "noise" effect).

I don't know if you have achieved a particular lo-fi 90's effect that you would like to represent. Since it is something you would love to emulate, you must know what it sounds like. Does your recording sound like that to you? You need to be the judge of whether or not your recorded audio is captured how you want it to be captured and presented how you want it to be presented. If you are getting what you want, don't let anyone steer you away from it. My opinions are based on my sensibilities, my preferences and what I am hearing in my room. Your sensibilities are more important because it is your art, not anybody else's.

Tips for improving... depends on what you think of the sound of these recordings and where you want to go. A day or two of just pure experimenting can go a long way. Get your amp sounding good to you in the room, stick the microphone against the grill, right in the centre of the cap. Record something and then listen back to it. Take note of characteristics that you are hearing and what you like or don't like about it. Move the microphone back an inch and record something else. Move it back another inch, and so on. Now put the microphone back on the grill, but put it off to the edge of the cap and do the same sort of experimenting. Do the same thing in the middle of the cone and then again on the cone edge. Then, move the microphone to the middle of the room. Then move it to the other side of the room. You can also repeat all of the above, pointing your microphone at an angle to your speaker rather than straight on (assuming all the above was done straight on).

After spending a few hours doing this, you should be forming some opinions of your microphone and your amp and what sounds good to you. Keep all these things in mind or keep some notes to give you a starting point when you want to work on a song.

You can do the same stuff while experimenting with your vocals.

I like your tunes by the way!

#

It's lacking presence. Mids, high end, something.
It all sounds a bit dull.

+1

It's worst when the crunchy guitar comes in - that's the culprit.

The vocal has intonation issues too. And it's not present enough.

And at 1.49 why did you suddenly shift the left-panned guitar to the middle? Goofy.

The vocals at 2.05 are too dark and too loud.

Aside from that, it's kinda dull. You have some arranging chops, but you're not even beginning to understand what s-o-u-n-d-s good.

Nope, I'm referring to the point on Track 2 when the left-panned guitar suddenly shifts to the middle.
It was originally at the middle, i added phaser and panned it left to differentiate it from verse one (not that I'm defending my choice). I shifted it back to the middle before the third verse/chorus.

It's worst when the crunchy guitar comes in - that's the culprit.
I was aiming for some noise/fuzz for some soft verse/loud chorus dynamics. I've overdone it and will try to refine it.

The vocals at 2.05 are too dark and too loud.
Copy that.

I appreciate every bit of comments here, brutally frank, harsh or not. Especially, if someone paid attention and took notice of something, regardless of genre or whether they liked the tune or not. Thanks, got some work to do. =)

Cool little tune!

Just a few little notes:
- seems to be a fair amount of background noise (especially beginning). Maybe use a gate on each track?
- there are some pitchy notes, but it almost fits this type of genre.
- sounds pretty damn clean though.

Cool little tune!

Just a few little notes:
- seems to be a fair amount of background noise (especially beginning). Maybe use a gate on each track?
- there are some pitchy notes, but it almost fits this type of genre.
- sounds pretty damn clean though.

Thanks, man. By clean, did you mean it's lacking distorted/fuzzy guitars?

Back