Need advice with these mixes.

polok_dark

Hello guys

This is my second post. I have made some changes to the first mix. To my ears, on my monitors, the second mix sounds somewhat better. But I still can't be too sure.

The track has been recorded in my room [including voice, with a SM-58 connected directly to the M-Audio FastTrack Ultra 8R], which sadly, has no acoustic treatment. I constantly find myself producing mixes that sound muddy and tiny =\

All the guitars were recorded the same way, except a processor was used for the tones.

It is a Bengali song, so many of you might not get the lyrics. Please still give the mixes a listen.

I'd be really helpful for me if you guys could provide some advice and feedback.

Also please comment on which mix you find better, why, and what I could do to it to make it sound even better.

Mix 1

SB Mix 1 by poltush on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Mix 2

SB Mix 2 by poltush on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Mix 3 [Latest]

SB Mix 3 by poltush on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Last edited:
I listened to the second mix. I liked the energy in the song. Nice melody. Didn't understand a word :).

I liked the guitars. I thought they sounded pretty good. Some good lead playing.

The bass seemed to have a low end rumble. I'm not listening on a big system, but it sounds like there could be a problem. the bass part was kind of cool in spots though.

I don't think that's the best possible vocal take of the male singer. It sounds a little reserved. I'd go for another take and really let it loose. Now that I listen, I'd say the same thing about the female vocal. It sounds like they were both trying to "get through the take." I suspect both can do better.

I actually like the first mix better. The second seems muddier.

I'm hearing some artifacts but that may be from the file compression, what format did you upload to soundcloud?

I agree with Flubly - I like the first mix better too. It has more presence and a fuller sound - the sound mix is darker. The cymbals also sound better on the first mix as they have some distortion on the first which may be due to the compression or clipping?

I like the song itself - you've got nice warm tones in the vocals and guitars and the female vocal was a good and unexpected change up. I think that TripleM would like the female vocal better on the second mix too - again more presence and the EQ gives it more sheen.

Did you write this yourself poltush or is it a cover? I enjoyed.

I listened to the second mix. I liked the energy in the song. Nice melody. Didn't understand a word :).

I liked the guitars. I thought they sounded pretty good. Some good lead playing.

The bass seemed to have a low end rumble. I'm not listening on a big system, but it sounds like there could be a problem. the bass part was kind of cool in spots though.

I don't think that's the best possible vocal take of the male singer. It sounds a little reserved. I'd go for another take and really let it loose. Now that I listen, I'd say the same thing about the female vocal. It sounds like they were both trying to "get through the take." I suspect both can do better.

Thank you TripleM for the reply.

I tried to clean up the low end rumble after reading your reply and i think it sounds a it sounds a lot cleaner now =)

And about the 2 vocals, to be very honest, they aren't that skilled yet. But they are a rising band and they're learning fast. Unfortunately, at the time of recording, that was the best i could get from them.

I actually like the first mix better. The second seems muddier.

I'm hearing some artifacts but that may be from the file compression, what format did you upload to soundcloud?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

@Flubby

I think I need to get it right somewhere between the first and the second mix, as at my end, the second mix sounds a little less muddier. but thanks for the pointer. I'll keep working on the song until I get the better sound. And the uploaded files are 320 kbps mp3 files.

@Robgreen

That was a good thing you pointed out. I too thought the first mix had a fuller sound. But like I said, I approached low and low-mids a little more aggressively when cutting as i felt the mix, although had a fuller sound, sounded muddy.

I too am more satisfied with the vocals on the second mix. As for the song, It's the band's composition.

I'll try to find a balance between the overall tonality of the first mix and the vocal of the second mix (minus) some mud.

I guess I'll upload the 3rd mix in a day or two. Do give a listen to that when you guys get the time.

Last edited:
Back