Need advice about wall of guitars

You need to post a link. I don't know about most folks, but I am not into cutting and pasting an unknown site into my browser...

The link is last.fm/music/Galvorn/
and last.fm isn't an unknown site at all, it just has a weird domain name... (when I first saw it I thought the same)... also it didn't allow me to put links (full with www), it said I need 5 posts.
Anyway here is another mirror if you still think last.fm is a scam or whatever public.box.net/vagodeoz
Pd: Still 2 more posts for links...

Last edited:
I think my main problem is that I don't have a guitar amp, so I record directly to the computer and then use guitar rig or amplitube. Both create some high frequencies that I find very irritating so when I eq after the distortion I remove a lot of that high frequencies (which removes definition)
As for the wall of guitars, someone told me that you put a mid based guitar on a speaker, a treble based guitar on the other speaker and a bassy guitar on the middle (both speakers). But obviously I'm doing a lot wrong :P also my old fender squier doesn't help a lot, but well, you do the best you can with what you are given. So any advices on how to improve that sound using a fender squier and guitar rig/amplitube?

A wall of guitars:

There are several ways:

Record each guitar part on a different guitar and amp set up (in your case, different settings on amplitude)

Play some guitars with the lower register notes of the chord, compliment it with guitars playing the higher register notes of the chord (it's a technique the black crows used). Layer several different guitars, panning them in a circle pattern. Hard left/right, 75% left/right, 50% left/right....

Try something like that. Experiment with it.

And get an amp if you can (if noise isn't an issue). You'll have better luck with your guitar tones.

Yeah, get the link thng together - if that site isn't up to it go to soundclick or lightning even myspice!
It is a bit muddy & blurry around the edges - a bit like listening through a pillow to be honest.
i like the intro & it all seemed to be going places BUT the sound isn't clear at all.
You do need an amp & mic - or at least a good emulator - have you tried the voxengo boogex - it with a mic sim can work considerable magic for free - there's also the voxengo tube amp sim.
You need to get something that will allow you to make the well played & thought out guitar parts shine.

I edited the first post with the links
And yes, all guitar tracks are limited. Mistake?
I was trying to get as loud as possible without peaking.
Oh, another thing. I read in internet that guitar amps don't play anything above 4-5 Khz. So when I put a low pass filter in that frequency, part of that top end painful distortion goes away. Mistake again?

I edited the first post with the links
And yes, all guitar tracks are limited. Mistake?
I was trying to get as loud as possible without peaking.
Oh, another thing. I read in internet that guitar amps don't play anything above 4-5 Khz. So when I put a low pass filter in that frequency, part of that top end painful distortion goes away. Mistake again?

After listening to the first clip, remove all FX or anything you have on there. Or just delete the tracks all-together. The guitars sound horrible. I think you need to go back to the tracking stage and get some usable tracks from your amp that you can layer together. Start with one. Then add another and mess with levels/panning. If they don't blend, erase the 2nd one and redo it. If you think you need another track, record another, and so on.

The 2nd clip sounds pretty good to me but I'm guessing it's not the one you are asking help with.

EQ and other FX aren't what you should be worried about in my opinion.

Looking forward to hearing this when you get yer probs sorted.. My kinda noise!

Anyone agree the kick has loo much lowend on the first song?

Well, no need to re-do the guitar, I record them clean directly to my pc and then add distortion fx and plugins, so I can change distortion without recording it again.
I have been trying a lot of different variations, I don't even remember which technique/distortion used for each song, so I'm asking for an overral opinion. Do you think the second one (la espada de fuego) sounds better? Maybe becouse it doesn't have that many "guitar orquestration" plus regular orquestration.
I think my situation is even more difficult than the common wall of guitars, since here I have to make the wall and yet leave room for the orchestra.
When it comes to music, I'm a "maximalist". There are never too many tracks :P So it's a real pain to put everything through 2 speakers.
Luckily these are demos yet :) exactly for this porpouse, so I hear some second opinions (since in the studio it's pretty much me doing all the work).
As for the kick, that was yet another experiment :) I found somewhere in the internet (and was never able to find it again) what was supposed to be the vagina resonant frequency XD so I tried adding a sine wave of that frequency to the kick to see if women had any "strange sexual pleasure" while listening to my band hahaha. But either I did something wrong, or it was a scam :P

I found somewhere in the internet (and was never able to find it again) what was supposed to be the vagina resonant frequency XD so I tried adding a sine wave of that frequency to the kick to see if women had any "strange sexual pleasure" while listening to my band hahaha. But either I did something wrong, or it was a scam :P

Wow...sounds like you're running out of ideas.

Try just using presets with whatever amp simulator software you're using. Find one that sounds closest to what you're going for. Then add another that compliments that one. But don't just copy/paste the track, re-track it. If you can keep good timing then it will sound more full.

Although I imagine trying to create a wall of guitar sound using amp simulators will be pretty difficult.

I tried that kick thing and I forgot to remove it from the demo mixdown :P
I could borrow from a friend this Behringer amp if it helps, but do you guys think it will be better than the plug-ins?
Just in case, I got decent mics, the problem is the amp.

If I make a topic like the one called "mix my song", would anyone try it? :)
I could upload a stereo mix of everything but the guitar (or stereo submixes of drums, vocals, keys... if you preffer), and upload the guitar tracks totally clean, so you can try amplitube, guitar rig, or playing it throgh an amp and recording it with a mike.
So, anyone up for the challenge? :)

For me, getting a heavy `wall of guitars' sound is about playing the part panned left, and then recording exactly the same part again, panned right. For me, this seems to never fail...Although, will always depend on the musical style, etc.

Ben.

Back