Need aan objective/audiotechnical opinion on emo-punkrock song

Atari

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm doing my first cd-job. This is what I have now but maybe you guys can give me some tips about how to get it better. The snare and kick are too loud I know that and it's already fixed in another mix.
Thanx a lot!

I like it. It just seems a bit dull. I'd send this version to a mastering engineer and see what some multi-band compression and a bit of L2 could do to it.

The song is cool although a bit long. I guess that's ok in this genre.

Guitars sound cool. I don't think the kik and snare are too loud, they just don't sit in the mix right. Maybe some eq here.

Vocals are good. Maybe a bit dry. But then again, probably right for this genre.

This band really rocks.

Well.....It's ok. But very much not professional. Get some serious mixing chops by researching on the internet alot, contacting sound engineers etc. These forums are more for tips and things like that, but you seem to just need to learn the entire mixing thing. Not that it's that bad, but it's just not that good either ;)

It's a decent track - average, nothing spectacular. To be honest, I really don't like the singer's voice or the song itself. However, there are some quick fixes to make it much more presentable.

First, the snare hits in the intro seem too loud when the guitar in the L channel begins. I'd equalize one or the other.

The backing vocals bug me thru out the entire song. They don't blend well at all...way too high in the mix. Add some reverb or something to knock it down.

The bridge is absolutely horrible. The tribal thing works a little - but again, the vocal limitations of the singer really show. I think he may have been injured in the recording of this track.

Sorry.

I really can't critique this track anymore...there's a lot to be fixed. The ones I mentioned are the first to jump out at me during the first listen. I can't listen anymore.

My apologies. I really don't intend to sound like a dick.

Kick, snare and toms are really, really boxy and lack any amount of sparkle. In fact, the whole mix is--as described above--incredibly dull. It sounds like there is wax in my ears.

Guitar sounds thinner than an Ethiopian on a diet.

Overhead/ride sound is anemic too.

In general too boxy, too thin, the vocals are produced poorly, utter lack of high end, utter lack of definition.

I think with some further work you could probably manage to get something to sound decent, but this is just too amature sounding right now.

I don't know if I put 'emo' in the description of this song. It sounds more like metal-punk with a few Finch/Thursday style vocals. Unfortunately it sounds like something that should be on Drive Thru Records... not good.

Also, the song wanders too much... too many parts. I lost interest around 1:30 into it. The production didn't help.

The drums sound alright but dont work with the rest of the instruments. Im sure its EQ and level problems. Vocals aint that hot in the mixing departement. Like the wee indian kinda vocal break down, sounds like the guy is gettin some!

Haha, is that a vocal impersonating a digerydoo in the bridge? That's kind of a cool idea if so.

But yeah, the song comes out really dull sounding. It's not that bad, but it's like it's just missing the frequencies that provide clarity somehow, I'm not sure really what exactly to do to fix it. The kinda thing that I just seems to come out better, for me anyway, the more I record, even though I dont do anything differently.

Now I know I still have a big job to do. The backings are something I didn't gave too much attention yet, I just made a first mix and posted it here to let you guys put me in the right direction. The critics about the song itself is not something I need. It's not my band, I'm just the engineer.(I thought there was another part of this forum that dealed with "songwriting" and stuff no?) And yeah the dullness of the song is a problem I also noticed, but I had hoped that someone could give me a more specific solution for that. I allready tried to brighten op the vocals and put the overheads up. Maybe I should get more high end in most parts? I'll have to figure it out. Thanx for the replys even though I had hoped to get more specific tips and less critics on the song itself. If you still want to add something. Please do so.

Back