Need 4 veteran members for a mix contest to judge the final mixes

Myriad_Rocker

I have an idea...just for fun. I did some recording with my band some years back (band now defunct) and I thought it'd be cool to have a bunch of people mix them and add their own production flare just to see what creative ideas come up. I may do multiple songs or just one, not sure. However, I would like to get 4 other vet members of this board in on the judging. We can come up with a point system and whatnot for the songs and I can also send the songs to each judge so we can pick what we wanna hear remixed/produced.

I figure it's a pretty good way to get some experience. These mixes and tracks have issues abound. They were my first full blown recording. I'm not looking to gain anything out of this...the band isn't together anymore and the album has been released for some time. It's on iTunes even. But enough of that. Let's get to the fun!!!

Who's game? PM me if you so choose! We'll all pool together and figure things out via email or whatever. I may setup a box.net account so we can all easily share files and whatever.

I guess a "vet member" would be considered to have over 1,000 posts.

That sounds like it could be fun. I meet the 1k+ posts minimum, so I'd be willing to judge.
The biggest problem I could see here would be getting enough participants.

Three judges in the mix so far (no pun intended)! VomitHatSteve, Greg_L, and myself. Anyone else want to jump in on the judging? Rami? Bob? Rayc?

As far as getting enough participants...not sure there. I would hope we could get at least 5 if not 10. Judges themselves could participate too, I suppose. Can't judge your own stuff, of course! We'll weight the scores accordingly.

Cool, we got our list of judges!

VomitHatSteve
Greg_L
PoeticIntensity
Track Rat
Myriad_Rocker

The dirty details:
I have selected the song. It is a rock song with somewhat of a bluesy vibe. The song has plenty going on and there are some things that definitely need to be addressed in the mix. While this is generally a no-no (fix it in the mix), it is what happens a lot. I think it will serve its purpose well.

I am about to upload the raw tracks and I will post the topic once that is complete.

Judges are also welcome to participate in the mix contest. However, you cannot judge your own work. I will collect all of the mixes personally and I will post them anonymously in the thread for the judges to download and review. I will also collect the reviews and scores, compile it all, and post the results anonymously. I think that's a pretty fair and unbiased way to go about things.

The criteria/scoring system, courtesy of Greg_L:

Balance - spectral balance including levels and panning
Separation - everything clean and audible in it's own space with no EQ clashing
Production - clever use of automation or effects
Overall Mix - general overall sound

The rating scale is from 0 to 5. At the end, the participant with the highest total number of points will win something. I'm not sure what yet, but it'll be on my dime. :D

I will cap the # of participants to the first 10 people that ask to participate. Anyone may participate.

I've been listening for the last few days and making notes. Do you want scores/ critiques in this thread or do you want to start a new one?

Back