Naked City

Ah, pretty good man...I remeber this one. You captured a pretty authentic sound with this. Good use of the verb. Nice bass tone...and good guitar sound. I think you did a pretty good job all around...and the mix is good.

Nice one man....:D

Wow, another obscure KISS cover. Sounds really accurate. All the parts are there. Good job on the performances.

Only nit I have is that the guitars are kinda "harsh" compared to the original. This is like a modern metal tone. Kiss used a "warmer" classic rock kind of sound. Still, it's very good. Not one of my favorite KISS songs, but yall did a great job. :)

Do "Torpedo Girl" next. :D

Never heard the original, but I liked this recording. The vocals are excellent - you have a great range and tone. The reverb on the vocals is interesting - care to share? The mix is good in that everything has a nice spot in the mix. Bass guitar is very nice... Really nice job overall! :cool:

hey, thankyou guys......
Thanx Greg, I will see what I can do with T/Girl, that's twice you've asked me for that, so I should start looking at that shortly! (I guess!).
Thanx Dogman!..really appreciate your comments, always.
Thanx I57!!.......yes, I was waiting for someone to ask about the vox verb!...it is a bit kookey, and I'm surprised it still comes out in an MP3 conversion!

I used a totally dry vox track, just used a Behringer MDX4600 comp / limiter rack, post production, to tame vox a little.
Used a Behringer Ultramizer 1424P rack to extend the lower and upper end of the track, just ever so slightly.
Used 2 Behringer Virtualizer Pro 2024P's, one for a really long stereo verb, and one set for a really long echo (about 2seconds on one channel and 800ms on the other...but just set to background only, via the fx sends on the desk)
I brought everything vocal out of the MX-8000A desk and routed thru the above and then back into the desk to re-print the track.....this gave me some flexibility and room to change my mind, as I don't really use plug-ins, and don't like commiting to anything straight away.
Oh yes, I used a 57, recorded at a very low level!...(for once!).

I hope I didn't waffle on to much, sorry......I wish I could afford some nicer gear, but the shit seems to work ok, I guess.

Fine job man !
Sounds great, nice cover with just a hint of your own styling in there.

Totally diggin hearing a KISS song that's not one of their big ones.
Gene Simmons had something with a couple songs on this album, "She's so European" is another one with this sort of smooth sound.

Glad to hear this !

Like what has been said.....excellent rendition of an obscure (but great) Kiss tune. Unmasked has always been a very underrated album of theirs. Can't wait to hear your version of T-Girl. Keep up the good work!

Back