My Very First Love Song

Dougie is my favorite jangly pop songwriter. Is this the same as the CD, or do I need to download it?

Daf

Really nice recording doo-gie. Better than the stuff on your disc... only thing bothering me about the recording ? The D.I. sounding gtr...

Would like to hear actual drums from you ... since we all know you're a friggin monster on th'skins.

Thumbs up!

C

(I'm out of ka-o-pec-tate :D)

Hey daf!: Thank you for the gratuitous comment on my work. :D
That's what I love about friends...

It's the same one as on your CD, daf...

I posted it here to see what can be fixed/re-done for the better with it.

Party Inda Pants: Maybe the difference in quality is because this tune was recorded on an ADAT unit, and was not bombarded with effects. Thanks for the criticism on the DI'd guitar.
I should re-record it miked, huh?

VI

Damn that was funny. "It was leaving or heaving, so I had to pick. I love you my darling buy you make me sick." Just a couple of the great lines. "You'll get over me, I'll get over these allergies." Some more good stuff.

Liked some of those little bass licks.

Not sure about the coughing and other sound effects (was it puking) at the end. To me the song should stay "pretty" all the way through.

Soft harmonies just doing "ahs" over the chord progression would be nice in the pre-chorus.

I didn't think the DI'd guitar sound worked in this case. A good old mic'd acoustic would work better IMO.

This reminded me of the Brady Bunch episode where they thought Jan was allergic to Tiger. But then everything in my life can be retold in a Brady Bunch rerun.

Loved the song.

Not to turn this into a mutual admiration society thread, but it definitely is a good thing when Triple M likes my lyrics.

That guy is my favorite lyricist around here, and I swear if I ever move to Chicago, I would bum-rush my way into Marsha Marsha Marsha.

So where do you think I should add the ahhs? during the turnaround, or during the verses? I'd like to try rhat.

The coughing and wheezing was a spur of the moment addition I added when the "tape" was still rolling on the vocal take.
I suppose it sounds a little disgusting...I'll edit that out on my next take and see what it does.

Thanksfor the listen, Triple M...PM me when you post something new. Sometimes I don't see everything people post until it's 3 pages deep.

:D
VI

Hey if you come to Chicago look me up. You can bum-rush MMM anytime.

Regarding the "ahs" I'm hearing them come in at about :33 on the line "It kills me to say this..." and similarly with the line "It was leaving or heaving..." at 1:16. Then a regular three part on the tag line: "I love you my darling..."

I just noticed you doubled some vox. I guess I was paying too much attention to the words the first time. I like the doubled vox - if it were me, I'd have them doubled all the way through. That's just me though.

One last thing... there is no way this qualifies as a love song. :D Please never write one of those. They're boring. :D:D:D

VI,

Great tune! Very funny and entertaining!

Mix-wise, I am hearing a lot of exaggerated top end on the cymbals, toms, snare and on the guitar. Otherwise, everything sounds great here on my end!

The bass sounds fine as does the vocals.

I like the coughing at the end, myself. I would leave that as is.

Five stars from me!

Cheers! :)

Triple M: Is "MMM" a real band, or a project?
I would come out to Chicago on the drop of a hat to hear you guys play if you are a band. I'll drag Buck62 with me so I stay outta trouble.

Axe for Yahweh: "Douglas"? The only people who ever called me that were pissed at me :D
Thanks for the listen, brother.
And WHICH wife were you referring to? :D

Ghosty!: You are the first person to ever tell me the vocals sounded fine :D Thank you for your sympathy.

The drums are an Alesis SR-16 Machine, and the Cymbals suck on that unit alot. Looking at the advice I have been given, I'll re-record the tune and this time mic the Guitar and use my real drum kit.

Thanks again for the advice, guyz...
This place is awesome for people like me who really want to learn home recording.

VI

great lyrics! other than the cymbals being a bit in front, I didn't think the sr-16 sounded too bad here.. beautiful sentiment!

Clever lyrics. I like clever lyrics. Makes me want to break out my Ween CDs.

I love the "eclectic-ness" of your stuff.

Good, light-hearted, fun song. Very refreshing. No real complaints with the mix.

I listened to your other stuff. Very cool. Nice for those particular "moods."

Piltdown Man

good song...good lyrics........try micing up the acoustic next time....the DI sound ain't bad, but micing it would be so much better

I laughed, I cried...

I think maybe the vocals could come up a bit since its a "vocal piece". Very good arrangment. I really here so ooos and ahhhs in the chorus.

Excellent lyrics and done in waltz time.

This one was excellent! I laughed most of the way through especially the keopectic (spelling?) line. Very funny stuff.

The DI guitar didn't bother me so much, but I could see where micing it would sound better.

Some excellent vocals as well!

Great job!

:D

The first verse vocal could come up at least a dB. It seems to get better as it goes.

1:31 "Why do you date me"...I LOVE the vocal production there. Your voice reminds me a little of Triple M's. It's like a solid tenor or something. Nice and easy going, but you both can belt it out when you want to.

Other than that first verse needing to come up a little, I thought the mix worked very well.

Dude that tune was fun... Cheers!

Tom

Back