My stuff

Rokket

Trailing Behind Again
I finally got around to posting my songs. There are two of them on the site that I want you to look at. The first is called "Leona", and it's a finished product. It's the song I wrote about my Grandmother when she died. I am looking for feedback on the mix. The second one is also just instruments, but I am going to put vocals on it eventually. Just a little background. I don't own a mixer or mic preamp. I recorded into my Fostex MR-8 and mixed on my pc using Sony Vegas. I am going to get more and better equipment eventually, and your feedback will determine that. What I am looking for is mostly to know if I am heading in the right direction, or am I fooling myself? As far as the second song goes (daddy's little girl), I am looking at the mix. I redid it because my wife said it was "too noisy". I sort of drowned the guitars and added a keyboard string section in there. Please feel free to listen and comment. But please, give me constructive criticism. If you liked it, tell me what you liked, and if you hated it, tell me why also. This is an important step for me. I record mostly for myself and my family, so this is also a first. I will be waiting to see what you all think.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/krystalcobramusic.htm
:)

The quality of the guitars I used are minimal. I left all my good gear in storage when we moved to Japan because the housing is so cramped over here. I broke down and went the cheap route when I decided I couldn't take not playing. The electric is a yamaha starter kit srat copy, the acoustic is a $60.00 Japanese guitar. The only expensive(?) guitar I have with me is my bass, an ESP B-205 with active HMG pickups. I recorded everything DI, using the MR-8's cheezy effects due to problems with noise and neighbors. The drums are my keyboard and DD-55 drum pad. Thanks again!

I listened to "Daddys Little Girl" I would like it better if the keyboards were nixed and the guits wider and meaner. But,..I should tell ya that i really dont like anything with keyboards. I think also that the solo at the end needs re-worked. It stopped too abrupbtly. Like you ran out of ideas and just said,.."ahh fuck it,..good enough'. Also,..it(the solo) didnt seem to make alot of sense 'musically' to me. Didnt really fit is what I'm trying to say there. Also there were a few sour notes,..nothing I'm sure you couldn't fix with another take though,..just a little sloppy on this one.
It's hard to give an opinion on a tune thats meant to have a vocal line and its not there. The music in general seems boring but,..with a good vocal and good lyrics it might be a great tune!
Aslo,..the mix in general was somewhat muddy. But seems pretty good for your limited amount of equipment.
I dont think your foolin' yourself,..and so what if I did anyway. If your having fun,...Keep going!!!!

take 'er easy,...
Calwood

Thanks for the feedback. The solo is only a guide. i threw it on there just for place keeping. It's sloppy and hurried, like you said. I will be putting the vocals on this weekend, and I will put the final mix up after that. I will also put a track up without the keyboard. Thanks again!

Wtf????

I looked at the stats on my songs. I've had 32 people listen to them, and 18 people actually DOWNLOADED them. How come only one person commented on them? Are they that fucking bad that they are not worth the time to say anything about them? I've heard far worse stuff on here get 40 or 50 comments....
Just ranting.... sorry :o

Rokket said:
I looked at the stats on my songs. I've had 32 people listen to them, and 18 people actually DOWNLOADED them. How come only one person commented on them? Are they that fucking bad that they are not worth the time to say anything about them? I've heard far worse stuff on here get 40 or 50 comments....
Just ranting.... sorry :o

I think there are allot of nice people here and nobody wants to be the mean guy. calwood was trying to say it sounds boring....and well....he's right.
I think you're stuck in 1980 with the tunes.
If you stop trying to fill up every little space in every measure and let it breath, you could be surprised what starts flowing out of you.
The Clash and Bob Seger tunes are long gone man. Let them go.
Sorry to have to be the mean guy.

C

yeah man...Epiloque is short and boring and not recorded very well....the backing guit sounds out of tune....mix needs work for sure...

on daddy's little girl...I can't gauge the recording because the mix is soooooooooooo bad.....guits and bass are muted something fierce....
I take it you don't own a pair of monitors....

Now Leona.....

I was pleasantly surprised to hear a decent recording with a decent mix of some music that was upbeat and not boring....very cool dude...
The keys are too low in the mix and sound bottom heavy to boot....
bass could use a slight low cut and a mid boost as well....
Leona would be a great bed for a vocal...ya know?

Good luck with your music man....and keep on tracking...you can only get better at it...ya know?

Joe

Now that's more like it! At least I know where I am lacking. Thank all of you! None of you should be sorry that you have to be the mean guy. Remember the emporer's new clothes? You don't help someone if you only tell them "oh, that's nice....". Thanks again! Now it's back to work, and see if I can fix this stuff. Daddy's little girl needs some real work. It was stuck in the 80's....

CGibson said:
...I think you're stuck in 1980 with the tunes.
If you stop trying to fill up every little space in every measure and let it breath, you could be surprised what starts flowing out of you...
Sorry to have to be the mean guy.
What would you suggest I try? I guess I am showing my age, but that's almost exactly how I hear the song in my head. Maybe I should axe the keyboard and remix the guitars and add the vocal? :confused:

joro said:
I take it you don't own a pair of monitors.... (No, I don't, just the JBL speakers that came with my no-so-good Compaq pc)

Now Leona.....

I was pleasantly surprised ....very cool dude... (If you read the background, you'd know I put my heart into this tune, maybe that's the key?)

Leona would be a great bed for a vocal...ya know? (I never thought of that, maybe I will try to write something to fit. I was also thinking of a Satriani type of song, but my lead playing isn't that great...)

Good luck with your music man....and keep on tracking...you can only get better at it...ya know? (This was my first attempts at mixing. I am sooo new at it. I've only been recording for about 9 months, and only trying the mix thing for about 2 months. That's why I posted. I need the help!)
Joe
Thank you so much for your honesty. I appreciate it so much!
Eddie (Rokket)

eddie,

i don't know what you're up to, but now the only song i see on your soundclick page now is 'leona'... wtf? are you already working on the others again? :P

i like 'leona'. granted, it is a little tedious with no vocals, but that's the heart of a good, lyrically written tune. good luck with it. the guitars sound good, but a little muddy. drum machine is working allright but maybe a little repetetive--change up a few of the fills and maybe try stopping the beat altogether for a second or two and jump right back in. i think the song needs some kind of 'middle', too--you've got the melody and the break/chorus, but maybe another little snippet of emotion wouldn't hurt.

and how about a guitar solo? and where'd the rest of your stuff go?

ZIM

zim said:
eddie,

i don't know what you're up to, but now the only song i see on your soundclick page now is 'leona'... wtf? are you already working on the others again? :P

i like 'leona'. granted, it is a little tedious with no vocals, but that's the heart of a good, lyrically written tune. good luck with it. the guitars sound good, but a little muddy. drum machine is working allright but maybe a little repetetive--change up a few of the fills and maybe try stopping the beat altogether for a second or two and jump right back in. i think the song needs some kind of 'middle', too--you've got the melody and the break/chorus, but maybe another little snippet of emotion wouldn't hurt.

and how about a guitar solo? and where'd the rest of your stuff go?

ZIM
Zim, I took them off so that I could work on them. Thanks for the thoughts on Leona. I am not sure about putting lyrics to it yet, but I am writing a middle. I don't want to add a guitar solo, since my playing isn't that great. I did put a pause in the drumming. Didn't you listen all the way through? I will work on the drums though, because I need the practice.
Thanks for your comments!
Rokket

Back