my sixth post in the clinic

must be a snowstorm? really freaking slow download. but then again, i'm happy to be able to notice that now that i have DSL. I'll wait it out and give a listen when it finishes the download.

Dude, get a nowhereradio account.

That was....

uh......

:confused:

er.....

extremely weird.

:p

Nice recording....

but very odd.

:D

WATYF

A progressive, organized exploration of drumwork. Suddenly it's a song. Really clear, really nice sound on everything. I'm not sure about the octave jump in the melody around the 3 minute mark. If this has a guitar break, everything will satisfy... oh, wait a minute... no guitar break... it's turned into art music. And now it's the song again. I think I would have enjoyed the chaos more if it had been shorter, or if there'd been a thread running through it that linked the two musical sections.

Nice drum playing, nice singing. Really nice song. Pity it'll never make it onto Top 40 radio. :D Good work, Alex. This one's got a 60s flavor to it, but it's your own song.

Boy you number your posts like Chicago numbered their albums. :)

Yeah the download took a while, but I finally got it.

Real rich sounding instruments. Real loud mix, good job on that. Interesting "mood" piece. The drums were recorded (assuming they're real) extremely well. I could practically see the stick hitting the ride cynbal. I was kind of reminded of Pink Floyd. Nice mix of instruments.

The vocals get buried here and there - they seem to get covered by guitars in spots. The intro is neat, but at about a minute, probably a bit long.

The "bathroom sounds" and the din of voices in the middle were a little weird. Not sure what they were adding to the song.

Good job all in all.

TripleM - it wasn't the intro that I thought was indulgent, it was the chaos toward the end LOL.

alex - yeah, what TripleM said about the vocals getting buried a bit at some points. You've got a gentle vocal delivery, which makes it difficult to get it heard in a big mix like this. Did you work the volume envelopes or the faders or whatever you've got to boost segments of a track?

I finally got to listen to this. I like the song over all. I would have like to hear the lead vocal up a little bit. I'm not wild about 1 minute intros and 1 minute + breaks in the middle of songs and 30 second outros, although some of the stuff sounded pretty cool in the break...I agree with dobro in that if there was some kind of melodic thread running through the break and it was shorter it would be quite interesting.

The instrumentation and recording sounded great and you have a very distinctive and recognizable voice and it fit this song well.

Nice work.

I went to your NoWhere page but there's nothin there.

Normally I can download something at 80-90K

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 127
ok...

i finally was able to upload this file to nwr..

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2749&alid=-1

my bandwidth has been SUCKING latley....for two days i couldnt upload the file without it timing out!!! it finally went up successfully.. i think i need to switch internet providers..

dobro: thanks for your comments.. i tried to bridge the chaos section with music, if you listen carefully in there, there is a keyboard part playing a very sort of strange part, but it is not musically related to the rest of the song.

watyf: it was supposed to be kind of odd. i didnt feel like composing a pop song that day :)

triplem: perceptive observation. i am definatly a pink floyd fan.. this particular tune is definatly a result of that influence i would say. i dont care much for most of chicago's stuff though. :) the drums are actual drums, not sequenced. the odd effects in the chaos section were all kinds of things.. i just went about recording anything i could find. i was hoping for the elements to be even more blurred than they turned out to be. i didnt quite achieve the "chaos" i was looking for in that section, but it is at least in the ball park.

jagular: yeah.. often i dont stick to "prescribed song structures" i tend to like long intro's that drag you away from the song and suddenly hit you with it. i guess its a stylistic thing. maybe i should rethink that a bit since ive gotten a fair amount of negative feedback about that (between this and mask) thanks overall for your comments.

-alex

Hi Alex, the work is very pro as usual. The octave change sounds a little too different tone wise. It's more than a register change, it's pretty different tone wise also? I don't know if that's what you wanted or not.

#9........#9..........#9.................... cool break. I like the way you take chances.

Very nice work.

Joe

Sounds very good! Got nothing to comment about the mix. Thumbs up! Very rich and open. Excellent mood. Good cymbal playing & drums in general (real? definitely sounds like it). The harmonies in the chorus are brilliant!

I agree with Dobro about the octave jump in the vocals, it just sounds so differently from the lower octave vocals in the beginning. It sounds like there's some reverb missing....

The long intro is cool, the bit at the ending just a tad too long. IMHO. :)

Aside from the intro and outro this sounds pretty radio-friendly in my ears. Well, I would play it...if I had a station... :D

Dude, your a freak!

I mean that in the nicest possible way.;)

This tune is great. The recording is good and full of suprises. I love outside-the-box stuff like this.

NoWhere was a bit slow too, though:

Attachments

• download2.jpg
    download2.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 85
a 7 minute song about a rodent? huh. i've never even thought about rodents that much.

i like the drums. i like real drums. that ride cymbal is very nice. very dry and clear. woodblock sound was a bit strange. the snare sounds like it's in the bottom of a well, but i'm not real big on big reverb.

i really like that piano part! did someone compose that and play it for real?? it's very cool. extremely nice! in fact, that's the coolest thing i've heard compositionally in a long time.

ok after the piano sound came in, then the shower, then the etc. etc. very strange. whew, made it through that. i'm glad you came back out of that, cause i was getting scared for a second. very scary with headphones on.

Hey, this is okay!

I do like this kinda (weird) tracks, being a fan of Pink Floyd, Zappa, Tool etc.
the drum intro? hmm, not so interessting.
the piano break (Great! which piano do you want me to break, lol)
is awsome, I love this kinda thingies

Recording wise: Very transparant, great use of the FRQ spectrum, not to much comressed so great dynamics but also power.
I love the dark voice, the octaver in the middle is a cool thing, keeps you appreciate the lower voice even more!

Hey Alex,
..very cool man!! VERY Floyd, and well done in that genre. The way the tune breaks back in at around 5:28 is SOOO PFloyd i can taste it. I like the dry octave vocs. They add another dimension to the tune. It might be cool if they were panned to the side a little harder..... ...just a thought.
Very cool stuff alex! gw/5

I'm very into this one. It's hard to be this experimental and this smooth at the same time, especially in the "normal" parts of this song.

The weird piano part was just to the point of getting on my nerves when the parts started layering up and the song came back in. Perfect timing!

Only complaint is the octave jump in the vocals that dobro mentioned.

Back