My Revenge on Jamal

chrisharris

King of Bling
Jamal recorded a song and posted it here before I ever knew this place existed. I heard it for the first time a few weeks ago, and I love it (shitty recording and all, lol).

Anyway, I started trying to do the tune like him, but I couldn't, so I took it right down the toilet....LOL.

2 things:

1. I HIGHLY recommend you listen to Jamal's version...it's kind of a Blink182 vibe...very fast, very cool...very UN-Chris.

2. [edit] Nevermind, NWR came back

Jamal's www.nowhereradio.com/mynewhead/singles ("One Mistake")

Mine
www.nowhereradio.com/honestmango/singles
"ONE MISTAKE"

AND JUST FOR JAMAL, I USED THE AUTOTUNER LIKE IT WAS GONNA' BE TAKEN AWAY FROM ME TOMORROW

Thanks,

Chris

(I'm very seriously interested in mix comments, b/c I'm trying some new stuff...especially in the EQ department...listen for mud, and see how many guitars you can make out...and any other instruments...lol...THERE'S MORE THAN JUST AUTOTUNE IN HERE)

Last edited:
hey cher, nice rendition. i can definitely hear the autotune on this one. it almost sounds like something is stuck in your throat sometimes.

hey that break at 2:20 is pretty cool. nice double tracking. i like the background swell instrument. what's that? it almost sounds like an organ.

seriously, your mixes are getting bigger sounding every time. you are really filling up the space well.

Hey erichenryus...You didn't complain about the drums... Based on your advice, I've gone exclusively to loops, but I've been changing them to try to get some dynamics...expecially in the snare, etc. Then I saw you post in another forum that loops suck.

lol. I hate you so much. :D :D

Will you just get an acoustic kit and move in next door, please?

I'll take your silence as acceptance (of both the drums on this, and the rental of my neighbor's casa).

lol, no sooner is NWR back up...

Excellent work on this one. Intro is great. Downloadng the original now because I liked this so much.

I'm part of the "don't big pan the toms" crowd, but the drum track fit in so well I didn't care.

The mix sounds very glued together for having so many tracks so spread out. Nicely done.

Doug

i'm shopping for an acoustic kit presently. i have a 'gig' in two weeks and still don't own a real drumset! maybe i'll just show up with a washboard.

did i really say that loops suck? i love loops. i just bought the discrete drum loops from dudleys100 and have big plans for them.

i didn't even notice the drums on this, so that's really cool. yeah, loops rule. very low hassle way to get great sounding drum tracks.

oh, and jamal. this is some great songwriting! i like this one a lot.

Just checked um' both out back to back. I'm inclined to think I know Jamal's song from before (but, I THINK I know alot of things)

Nice renditions dude, you took your strengths and the songs strengths and binded them together to make a fine alternative interpetation cover.

I dug on the dual vocal hard panning thang. It can be hard to pull off and it stuck out like a warm and welcome thumb:-)D :rolleyes: )

I spent a nano-second (such is my limit of attention) thinking about the inverse, i.e. if Jamal was cutting a cover of your tune of the same. Both ways, it is a solid song (prop's to the writter;) ) but, I'd love to hear a Jamal version with his newfound recording chops.

Cool shit guys,

Theron.

hehe...that was fun to listen to both versions. It's a good song and holds up well with both styles. Nice work guys :D

I see the Cher joke has already been taken care of ;) :D

I love it Chris.You made this one yours.This is a well written song......jamal can wrote a good tune with a hook.I like the auto-tune,it works well with this tune.You are getting a hell of a lot bigger sound in this mix than your previous mixes.The bass might be a little too Big(or too loud).....the whole mix sounds pretty even but at times it seems like the bass and vox are heavy on the lower mids....the vocals are definetly a lot beefier than your usual vocal mix........what are you doing didffently?Whatever it is,it's working.......cool vocal stuff starting at 2:21!Yeah man,this is cool.

"hearts gone on vacation,pre-mature evacuation".Thats a cool line!

I've listened to this a few times and I'll listen some more.I like it as a song and performance right off the bat and the mix is good enough to keep me listening to it on repeat.

How are you getting that effect on the intro where it's real thin and then comes in big?

As I keep listening the bass does seem a little too big/fat tonewise/or just too much low end on it....I know you've already done some of the standard bass roll offs.LOL....I'll keep listening,it could just be me.

I will say this.You did a GREAT fuckin job with this in all aspects of the process.....makes me wanna get off of my ass and do something with this kind of quality.

5 Stars!

Wow Chris this is great. Love your voice, and the guitar work is wonderful. Mix is just huge. The autotune is interesting as well. I would like to hear the snare a little louder. It sounds really good, and the crack fits the song well, but I would like more. Great work.

Jamal: Great song. The arrangement of your version is great too. It is more what I usually listen to. Cool stuff.

Dammit, you guys are making me want to stay in here a lot more. Like I wasn't busy enough already.

Thanks

Matty

P.S. Hell of a nice job creating your own take on this tune.I remember jamals tune from way back.It's more of a fast punk style beat with a VERY different melody than the one you came up with.I'll give you 5 more imaginary stars for being able to create this version.

doug - thanks: you were actually the reason I wasn't too scared to let Jamal hear this. I mean, your version of Acid Wash was TOTALLY different, but take it from me, Jamal liked it a ton...Knowing that made this more fun.

theron - Dude, every since I heard this, I've been trying to convince Jamal to re-record it...he has the attention span of a goldfish, but I think he actually IS re-recording it now. thanks for listening.

erichenryus - maybe you said that "samples" suck, which I interpreted as "Chris' Drums," lol. I think you can definitely get cooler SOUNDS with loops much easier than doing the real thing, but it's still a huge pain in the ass for me. I mean, the basis for this tune is a series of loops, but I've got another track of a different kick to beef it up a little, and the same thing for a snare that I enveloped...I mean, absolute minutia...I hate it. That break...as simple as it is...drums took me too long to even admit publicly, lol.

Kramer - You're right about the EQ I think...It's a constant battle for me between avoiding mud and having a "harsh" mix. Honestly, I'll take harsh over muddy, so that's how I usually EQ. For this one, b/c I had a lot of stuff that aren't usually in my mixes, I decided to just cut the frequent offenders very slightly and see how it hit some ears. What you're saying is exactly what I was afraid of...lol. Low mid mud. But the way you responded is telling me that it didn't just totally wash out, so I'm gonna' do some more surgical stuff, maybe just not as drastic as I usually do. On the vocal, I don't know...I used some more doubling than usual, but not a lot. Honestly, I think it might just be a volume thing...I set it WAY on top for this one...I liked the words. :D :D. The effect on the intro...I'm actually glad you asked, lol. I took the first part of that guitar track (two measures) and made a copy of it...I took the copy, and EQ'd it like a telephone, basically...no lows or highs...I mean NONE, hehehe...then I looped that telephone track once (so it's 4 measures now) and faded in the un-Eq'd track while I faded out the telephone track. I was trying to go for a lofi intro in honor of Jamal (and that guy who only listens on lofi :D,), but without that HUGE drastic change that I usually do.

Okay, I'm typing too much...nobody reads this...I think I've just always looked forward to the day when somebody WOULD, lol...

matty
&
Jagular
- cool, ya'll listened to Jamal's version...I just think it's a kickass song...but I know my limits. Actually, the drums are what prevented me from being able to do a truer version (I don't have a "Jamal" plugin, but I imagine its icon would look like a vile of crack)...Anyway, the "differentness" was more out of necessity than choice...so I decided to change the melody, chords, key, tempo...lol...I think I even hacked off a couple of words...I'm not sure...the goal was to use this as an excuse to record another song that I'll put new words to later (kidding, kidding - this is the only version that I'll do).

thanks guys...ANYBODY GETTING THAT LOW MID MESS?????

(the lows and low mids are the hardest part, you know :D)

Oh, and if it really does sound "bigger," it's because of the keyboard...is that what it's even called anymore? An Alesis q5. something...or 6. somehting...lol.. I can't remember. I got it off of ebay because it's broken, but only in parts. Some patches work fine (organ), some never work, but most just kinda' screw up sporadically, which I'm learning how to incorporate as "effects," lol. That stuff near the end that sounds kinda' like a broken Moog...uh huh...broken Moog patch, lol.

chrisharris said:

thanks guys...ANYBODY GETTING THAT LOW MID MESS?????

(the lows and low mids are the hardest part, you know :D)

It's not to the point of mess by any means.LOL.I shouldnt have said anything.What the hell do I know.LOL....what im hearing is just minor lower frequency problems....nothing that most people wouldnt just let pass.LOL.It's sounds fine man!Dont listen to me until you get confirmation from someone who knows what the hell they're talking about!

:D

Very cool dude. Interesting use of Autotune for sure. Canned drums or not, I have always thought your stuff sounded pro!

Nice Job - I would like to hear you do it in punk though
Beez

Kramer said:
.I shouldnt have said anything.What the hell do I know.LOL....what im hearing is just minor lower frequency problems....:D
Dude, that almost bothers me. The "I shouldn't have said anything" part. See, here's what's gonna' happen: I'll pop this in the car tomorrow, and it'll sound muddy, and I'll say to myself: "Why the fuck didn't erichenryus say anything about this...is he deaf, or just stupid?"

Seriously, mix comments VERY much appreciated. I think I'm at a point in this hobby where I know how to do some stuff, but there's a helluva' lot more that I DON'T know... Plus, I have low self-esteem, so I trust the critics more...lol. :D

Beezoboy said:
I would like to hear you do it in punk though
Beez
Yeah, me too...If I could just get a workable drum track to copy the original...I'd be 100 years old by the time I cut and pasted something that sounded decent enough to sing over...lol.

This version reminds me of the theme to the Love Boat. BAHAHAHAHA

really, it does. I wouldn't probably say that in somebody else's thread, but this is my thread, so I can say it.

DarthFaders said:

The overdone autotune kills me...just on guy's opinion though...

Darth
Oh no, I'm sure you won't be the only one...lol.

I'm mentally prepared for the onslaught.

Thanks for checking it out man.

second try....

ok ..never would have imagined how a "chris-i-fied" version would even sound......well I GUESS IT SOUNDS DAMNED GOOD..wow it doesnt even sound the same at all...but in a really good way:D...my wife likes this more than my version....yeah BIG SURPRISE....lmao....really cool of you to do this..i kno whow hard it must have been to listen to that piece of crap i had and hear something like this in it.......

jamal

Back