Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: My Revenge on Jamal

Thanks

My Revenge on Jamal

Sign in to disable this ad
    Jamal recorded a song and posted it here before I ever knew this place existed. I heard it for the first time a few weeks ago, and I love it (shitty recording and all, lol).

Anyway, I started trying to do the tune like him, but I couldn't, so I took it right down the toilet....LOL.

2 things:

1. I HIGHLY recommend you listen to Jamal's version...it's kind of a Blink182 vibe...very fast, very cool...very UN-Chris.

2. [edit] Nevermind, NWR came back

Jamal's www.nowhereradio.com/mynewhead/singles ("One Mistake")

Mine
    www.nowhereradio.com/honestmango/singles
    "ONE MISTAKE"

AND JUST FOR JAMAL, I USED THE AUTOTUNER LIKE IT WAS GONNA' BE TAKEN AWAY FROM ME TOMORROW

Thanks,

Chris

(I'm very seriously interested in mix comments, b/c I'm trying some new stuff...especially in the EQ department...listen for mud, and see how many guitars you can make out...and any other instruments...lol...THERE'S MORE THAN JUST AUTOTUNE IN HERE)
    Last edited by chrisharris; 03-10-2003 at 19:53.

Thanks
    hey cher, nice rendition. i can definitely hear the autotune on this one. it almost sounds like something is stuck in your throat sometimes.

hey that break at 2:20 is pretty cool. nice double tracking. i like the background swell instrument. what's that? it almost sounds like an organ.

seriously, your mixes are getting bigger sounding every time. you are really filling up the space well.

Thanks
    Hey erichenryus...You didn't complain about the drums... Based on your advice, I've gone exclusively to loops, but I've been changing them to try to get some dynamics...expecially in the snare, etc. Then I saw you post in another forum that loops suck.

lol. I hate you so much.

Will you just get an acoustic kit and move in next door, please?

I'll take your silence as acceptance (of both the drums on this, and the rental of my neighbor's casa).

Thanks

Thumbs up

lol, no sooner is NWR back up...

Excellent work on this one. Intro is great. Downloadng the original now because I liked this so much.

I'm part of the "don't big pan the toms" crowd, but the drum track fit in so well I didn't care.

The mix sounds very glued together for having so many tracks so spread out. Nicely done.

Doug

Thanks
    i'm shopping for an acoustic kit presently. i have a 'gig' in two weeks and still don't own a real drumset! maybe i'll just show up with a washboard.

did i really say that loops suck? i love loops. i just bought the discrete drum loops from dudleys100 and have big plans for them.

i didn't even notice the drums on this, so that's really cool. yeah, loops rule. very low hassle way to get great sounding drum tracks.

oh, and jamal. this is some great songwriting! i like this one a lot.

Thanks

This one made my day.

Thanks
    Just checked um' both out back to back. I'm inclined to think I know Jamal's song from before (but, I THINK I know alot of things)

Nice renditions dude, you took your strengths and the songs strengths and binded them together to make a fine alternative interpetation cover.

I dug on the dual vocal hard panning thang. It can be hard to pull off and it stuck out like a warm and welcome thumb( )

I spent a nano-second (such is my limit of attention) thinking about the inverse, i.e. if Jamal was cutting a cover of your tune of the same. Both ways, it is a solid song (prop's to the writter ) but, I'd love to hear a Jamal version with his newfound recording chops.

Cool shit guys,

Theron.

Thanks
    hehe...that was fun to listen to both versions. It's a good song and holds up well with both styles. Nice work guys

I see the Cher joke has already been taken care of
    John

Thanks
    I love it Chris.You made this one yours.This is a well written song......jamal can wrote a good tune with a hook.I like the auto-tune,it works well with this tune.You are getting a hell of a lot bigger sound in this mix than your previous mixes.The bass might be a little too Big(or too loud).....the whole mix sounds pretty even but at times it seems like the bass and vox are heavy on the lower mids....the vocals are definetly a lot beefier than your usual vocal mix........what are you doing didffently?Whatever it is,it's working.......cool vocal stuff starting at 2:21!Yeah man,this is cool.

"hearts gone on vacation,pre-mature evacuation".Thats a cool line!

I've listened to this a few times and I'll listen some more.I like it as a song and performance right off the bat and the mix is good enough to keep me listening to it on repeat.

How are you getting that effect on the intro where it's real thin and then comes in big?

As I keep listening the bass does seem a little too big/fat tonewise/or just too much low end on it....I know you've already done some of the standard bass roll offs.LOL....I'll keep listening,it could just be me.

I will say this.You did a GREAT fuckin job with this in all aspects of the process.....makes me wanna get off of my ass and do something with this kind of quality.

5 Stars!

Thanks
    Wow Chris this is great. Love your voice, and the guitar work is wonderful. Mix is just huge. The autotune is interesting as well. I would like to hear the snare a little louder. It sounds really good, and the crack fits the song well, but I would like more. Great work.

Jamal: Great song. The arrangement of your version is great too. It is more what I usually listen to. Cool stuff.

Dammit, you guys are making me want to stay in here a lot more. Like I wasn't busy enough already.

Thanks

Matty

Thread Information