My newest song NEED HELP!

good song! every tune I heard from you has been good.. great vocals!

sounds like the bass drum is way too weak in the heavier parts.. the guitar sound is o.k. but it sounds a little clippish in the heavy parts.. maybe lower it a bit.. sounded like it was begging for more gain, even though it sounded clippish.. nice harmony @2:45.. what did you use to record the guitar?

--good tune!--

B Sabbath's right. Not only that, the guitar break at 1.34 is wonderful, but way too short. The great big bird was just spreading its wings to go into flight, and then the song returned to verse.

"Imagination carries me away for awhile". Okay, but 'awhile' can be 20-30 seconds, right? :)

One thing though - I'd bump the vocal up 1.0, at least in the first part - the singer's behind the drummer, if you know what I mean. Not only that, but the guitar break is a bit too loud. Cut it by at least as much as you boost the vocal. Look, you're singing in tune, right? Don't hide the vocal. I know we're living in a guitar culture (I bought an electric guitar recently, just in order to speak everybody else's language), but the vocal is still more important than the guitar. The vocal is the human voice. It's stage central in songs made by homo sapiens.

Good sound, good song, good listen.

ps That descending figure from 3.15 - 3.19: can you do it legato? The song's a bit too fast to put the brakes on each note, so it might work better if all the notes slid into each other.

ps I was at Nowhere and spotted this one on the mainpage. I dl'ed it and planned to do a review whether you'd announced it or not. You beat me to it. :D

Nice one.

I didn't think it sounded too muddy but I'm listening on small headphones. So I can maybe understand that it's muddy on a big system. I'm thinking you can roll off some lows (up to and maybe past 200 hz) from that main distorted rhythm guitar part. It seems like they have a bunch more stuff down there than they need. That might remove some muddiness.

After the intro this song is also clipping almost constantly. It's not audible distortion, but it might be adding to the overall "thick" low end.

There's a little pitchiness in the vocals at :27 - bobbled note in the 'ooohs'. There are skips at :32 and :43.

But I'll tell you, I liked the overall job you did. Good song. I liked your singing on it too. Nice vocals - both lead and harmony.

Dude...this is more "you" than anything else I've heard from you, I think...it doesn't remind me of something else.

I think the kick has too many low lows...like roll them off below 63Hz... I don't have anything to add to the comments above, except that I totally love this.

Damn scotty.This fuukin rocks!I love everything about it.The drums are killer.They've gotta be real drums.Guitars sound great...lead guitar tone is excellent.Vocals are good also.What do you record on?Software or a stand alone DAW?This is awsome man........the only thing I can think of that might need tweaking is the lead vocal.It could stand to come out a little more in the mix.I dont know if it's an eq or volume thing.

Very good job dude.

Really, this sounds great. Seemed like the guitar was a liitle hot during the parts where you were playing full chords though. Nice lead guitar! I liked this a lot. More lead guitar during the outro please.

Twist

The opening guitars seem alittle harsh and trebbily to me.
Awesome bass and vox.. The highs are hurting me though.
Killer tone on the solo 1:48.> Guitars seem much louder than the drums. Vox sit great in the mix.

This song has "that feel" to it. Nice guitar work and vocals are killer. Really a radio friendly song i think..me likes it!

yea...

on a quick listen, I think the muddiness is in the Bass Guitar and Kick. There was a constant pressure on the ears that was just to the point of annoyance. it's not to distracting, although my preference would be a bit more definition in the low end.

FWIW... in moderate amounts I'd start with scooping the Bass Guitar (250Hz) some and see where that leads. next I'd look for more definition in the kick. then I'd roll off the guitars at about 120Hz.

consider listening without the bass guitar for a day or so. if after some time you don't miss the bass, roll off the guitar lows and then add the bass back.

dobro said:
...but the vocal is still more important than the guitar. The vocal is the human voice. It's stage central in songs made by homo sapiens

Highly debatable, as far as I'm concerned... :) But let's not get into that, I'm sure we'll never give in or agree. LOL (damn, I really like to discuss these type of matters....can't help myself ;) )

The song is downloading. Will respond later.

Doesn't sound muddy at all....

Sounds pretty good. Lots of high end though, for sure. With the maximizer/optimizer added it's getting a bit too harsh for my taste.

Btw, heard some intonation issues in the first verses. It seems to get better when you scream....in other words: scream the verses. :D

Anyway, cool job man!

This sounds terrific!

i like your guitar sound....it's got teeth.

Vocals sound great.. but i would consider retracking the line at 2:09. Based on the rest of the song, i think you can do it with more strength. i really dig 2:20 ish...the section right before the solo.

Harmonies sound nice in the second verse.

i think the heavy guitars could actually come down a couple notches each (both left and right). Or at least maybe EQ the brain darts out of it (2k?).

i really like the harmonies in the chorus.

My comments were pretty nitpicky...this is a very good recording and a good song to boot!

Good job!

Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it. I have tried to implement some of your advice but it seems the more I try the worse it gets. I may have to set on this one for a while. I can't seem to calm the guitars down without making them seem too thin or to low.

I am really afraid of the EQ so I don't know what to do to them using it.

I did bring up the vocals a bit and that helped.

Back