My latest recording (metal mix #2)

dabluesman

Here is my latest. I tried some different mixing techniques (that I found out about from some of you on here) on this one. It's my 9th recording, I'm getting better with each one. Its my first mix down, I havent remixed/remastered it yet like I had to do with my other recordings. After I tracked the rhythm guitar, I hard panned it right then another one left. Then I moved the right one back just a little bit behind the left one. Then I tracked the rhythm guitar again with a different guitar (I didnt hard pan it like the other one though.) Then I panned the solos just a bit right of center. I negatively expanded the bass track to put it more in the center (I track everything in stereo.) The drum track is a Zoom RT-323, expanded just a little. All the guitars were recorded direct with a Cyber-Twin and I mixed everything with Cool Edit Pro. I'd like to hear any comments/suggestions as I only get better with more experience. Thanks!
"Injured Hand" (metal mix 2)

good crunch sound... what do you mean by "negatively expanding the bass track"?...that's some new termonolgy to me. The drums need to rock out. The leads remind me of some old "Guess Who" sounds....

mixmkr said:
good crunch sound... what do you mean by "negatively expanding the bass track"?...that's some new termonolgy to me. The drums need to rock out. The leads remind me of some old "Guess Who" sounds....

Good crunch on the guitars. The snare is not working for me. The Pentatonic scale solo thing is a little unimaginative, but I like the tone of the lead guitar for the song. Also, I agree with Mix. For the drums in this song, you must "rock out with your cock out".

Fangar

Rock on man. Nice sound on the guitars. I agree with the others that the drums could sound larger. Other than that my only gripe is the ending. It seems to just fall of a cliff. :)

pretty cool bluesman,

I actually liked the lead.. It does have an old type sound...not really metal IMOP, but cool..

I agree about the drums, but it's not life or death..

The recording sounded good also...

later

B

Thanks for the comments, keep'em coming. About that "negative expanding" thing.. In Cool Edit Pro, the expander can widen or narrow the stereo image. Going up into positive number's widen it and negative narrows it, at least thats how it seemed to me after playing around with it for a while. I wasnt to crazy about the snare either at first but it kinda grew on me after listening to it over and over and over. Its my first try with that drum machine so I didnt get to deep into customizing the kit.

Cool wall of guitar sound but it really needs eq bad. There are definately some bad frequencies in there. It very harsh--if you have wavelad you can see a graph on it--many spikes that shouldn't be there.
The mix is good

Thoughts

I got a "Stranglehold" vibe from the song too.

Nice sound on all the guitars - rhythm and lead. Some of the lead work was a bit simplistic, but again great tone on the guitars makes 'em work pretty well.

I personally didn't have a problem with the drums. I think it comes down to individual differences in taste. Doesn't everything?

Back