My kid is out of school so he must record and play guitar to keep busy.

dreib

Since my 14 year old kid out of school for 4 weeks I fired up the Home studio and we recorded some cover songs. Since I am also working on my bands recording this is good practice for recording and mixing.

Still struggling with ..well everything ,but the high end sounded ok in my room and in ear pods but not so much on other crap systems.

Other than performance I need constructive criticism in a general sense of the whole recording. Probably not gonna go back to this one but apply the pointers on the next.

Thanks!

Doug

This is a cover song.

Ben-Guitars-bass-singing

Doug- Drums- producer-motivator and dad.

YouTube

Well, great song to cover and good job doing so. If you have more time, you might consider retracking some of the higher vocal parts where your son falters a little. hard notes to hit, for sure.

The mix could use some minor tweaks to get more clarity. I am not sure what is going on. I think reverb might be a little much and I think the kick and bass are stepping on each other. So, turn down the reverb return and then do some EQ shaping with the kick and the bass. See where that takes you.

Good job to you and your kid. If I could get my 14 yr old daughter to do some singing..... Oh well.

I agree with Chili. Would also add that there seems to be a low mid build-up going on. I think a lot of that is coming from the bass track.

Well I usually cut the bass frequency where the kick is to give both more room but Im still learning EQ. I do hear that clutter though.

Thanks!

Great song to jam to. My first impressions is that the drums are missing some air and sound muffled to me. Maybe give a little bump to open it up a little. And the guitars are at times a little harsh on the ears. You could try a little cut around 2K and play around with that and see if it helps. Its great to hear the young kids doing this kinda stuff and keeping music alive. I love it!

Back