My Indie Rock Band

guinsu

Here's an mp3 of an indie rock band I play in. We recorded in my basement onto a VF-16. Good mics, Presonus preamps, good iinstruments, minimal mixing at this point. Any thoughts? I know the electric guitar needs to come up more.

Sounds pretty good, man. I dig the banjo sound. Interesting lyrics. Good recording. Keep it up! :)

Acoustic guitar seems to need an overdub. Seems a bit thin and lacks any stereo depth.

Drums lack punch and need more fidelity.

Vocals a tad bit sibilant for my tastes.

Low end needs more definition.

Getting there... needs some more spit and polish.

Cloneboy Studio said:
Acoustic guitar seems to need an overdub. Seems a bit thin and lacks any stereo depth.

Drums lack punch and need more fidelity.

Vocals a tad bit sibilant for my tastes.

Low end needs more definition.

Getting there... needs some more spit and polish.

I agree on your points, can I ask some advice for fixing it?

Vocal sibilance is an eq thing right? Punch on the drums would be EQ and maybe some compression on the kick and snare? I am really unhappy with the kic, but the drum has no front head and it doesn't sound great in the room either. Low end definition, can you be a little more specific?

As for the acoustic, we miced it from the front and back, the two band leaders didn't like how the front mic sounded so we only used the back. I would have prefered to rerecord it with a different mic or different positioning, but it was getting late. If I do record stereo acoustic guitars, how would they get panned in the mix?

Thanks for the critique, I do appreciate it, I just need some advice to make it better.

guinsu said:
I agree on your points, can I ask some advice for fixing it?

Vocal sibilance is an eq thing right? Punch on the drums would be EQ and maybe some compression on the kick and snare? I am really unhappy with the kic, but the drum has no front head and it doesn't sound great in the room either. Low end definition, can you be a little more specific?

As for the acoustic, we miced it from the front and back, the two band leaders didn't like how the front mic sounded so we only used the back. I would have prefered to rerecord it with a different mic or different positioning, but it was getting late. If I do record stereo acoustic guitars, how would they get panned in the mix?

Thanks for the critique, I do appreciate it, I just need some advice to make it better.

Syllibance is not always an eq thing. It can be the result of not using pop filter or from how the singer was singing into the mic. There are de-esser plugins that can fix it if it's not too bad.

As far as overdubbing the acoustic guitar, I think what Cloneboy was suggesting was not stereo panning, but rather to record the guitar part twice, with the second one tweeked with a bit of compression, and "just under" the first guitar track (volume a tad lower), to give it fullness. One way to do this is to copy and paste the first guitar track and add a little delay to it (about 10ms), and pan the two of them together (not separated in the mix). It'll make the acoustic stand out better in the mix.

I really liked this. Love the banjo. I'd slide the gain up on the vocal just a tad. If you go making big changes to it make sure you keep this version saved seperately. Okay it sounds a little lo-fi but if you polish this song up too much you might find it loses some of it's charm. I'm can't tell you much about recording and mixing, and I'm sure it could be improved on greatly... but I like what I hear... keep it safe.

Back