"My Heart Sinks" - comments welcome

alibish

Hotrod Cadet
Hi all

I've been away for a while (real life, and all that) but now I've got a new song here:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1715&alid=-1

It's called "My Heart Sinks" and it's about forgiveness, or the lack of it.

I would be very grateful for comments and suggestions on any and all aspects - songwriting, arranging, performance, engineering, mixing, "mastering", etc.

Please be frank - tell me what could be improved, and (ideally) how!

Cheers

AB

sounds very good alibish. can't think of anything on the first listen. sounds like a heavy dose of Ozone going on? if so, you're getting good value for the price. i could never figure that tool out.

on second listen that guitar that carries the melody starting at :23 is just a little loud. it's taking over the mix imo. that's really all i can come up with. sounds great.

well

this is better than a lot of fun, this is one of the best songs Ive heard on the forum. Your accent is very unique for start but the production is top notch. The best part of the song is the Chorus because it is such a good hook. Very much like James I must say and thats good because they always have these catchy songs. Well done, 5 stars. This is really good work.

Great tune again Alibish. Haven't heard anything from you since "Excellent Girl" which i think is awesome. The instrumentation on this one gives me shades of the Cure, except for the vox which are all Alibish.

You have a very commercial radio friendly feel to your music too, which i hope you find encouraging if you're planning on taking it in that direction.

This song sounds finished to me, great job. I liked everything.

Hey stranger

Top-notch songwriting
The mix is fine by MY standards which are very low-fi:D
Your 'pop' sensibility is firmly carried on in this tune.
I'm sure you will get a chapter from StudioV on this one:D :D

I LIKED it.
Glad to see you back!

Nice song. Pretty chorus. Nice guitars. Nice melody.

Intro was a little "busy" - lots of things going on. It was tough to hear the "woo hoo hoo's."

Have you thought of double tracked vocals? At least in the chorus, I think that would sound nice. Harmonies in the chorus would be nice too.

A little pitchiness in the "woo hoo hoos". Check out 2:00. Other spots too I think.

Nice

The woo's were lost in the opening, but no big deal. The singing and playing are top notch. The mix is very nice.

Welcome back. :)

Nice mix from here. Cool song. That's some good brit pop. Total James type feel. Brings back memories of my high school/college days.

Nice acoustic guitar intro. Like the spread.

Like when the electrics kick in. I like that one kazoo sounding electric. :cool:

I like the vocal performance, especially from 2:00 or so on when you let loose.

Alibish, I've missed you. Glad to see you back.

I'll listen to this tomorrow. I should be sleeping right now.

Wow, thanks everyone. It's always a pleasure to come back to HR.

erichenryus - I really appreciate that you always listen and post - thank you.

The level on the intro lead guitar has been up and down like a yoyo - looks like it should come down a little.

Yes, the post-mix processing (aka "mastering" ;) ) was done in Ozone. I love it - I don't pretend to understand it all, but I can make my songs sound better with it than without, which is good enough for me :)

On this one I added a bit of air EQ, did some very gentle 3-band compression, added a TINY bit of reverb, and limited the mix to get a bit of extra volume in there. I don't like to squash all the dynamics though, so it isn't mega-loud. Ozone is a great thing - well worth persevering with.

lynx - thank you for the kind comments.

songbird - you are very kind, and I really appreciate it. James have done some great stuff, so that's a real compliment. Thanks again for listening.

Khompewtur - Cure references always cheer me up! And "commercial radio friendly" is good - I'm going to try and sell this stuff when I get an album's worth, so if it floats some folks' boat, all the better. Thank you for the confidence boost. :)

HevyD47Ca - thank you very much. Pop sensibility - cool, I always wanted one of those! :) Thanks for listening.

TripleM - nice to hear from you, and thanks for listening. The "woo hoo hoo"s are really badly sung. The range is half falsetto and half not, so I find it completely impossible to sing properly.

It's funny, I was thinking about double-tracking the chorus vocals, so I might give it a try. Thanks for the idea.

Harmonies - usually I love lots of harmonies, but on this one I kind of resisted it. A close harmony that follows the chorus melody might sound a bit cheesy, and "oohs" could be a bit "soft" for this song. I really don't know - do you have any suggestions for what kind of harmonies you think could work?

sloop - thank you. The oohs are a bit buried because they're not very good :( I'm going to ask my wife to sing them instead...

skids - it's funny, my brother said something very similar, that it took him back to his student days. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Not sure about the "kazoo electric" though - that's a real valve amp, I'll have you know! ;) I'm really bad at choosing good guitar sounds - any tips on how I could improve it?

Thank you so much for the comment re the vocal. I deliberately kept the early part softer, then gradually roughened it up. Do you think that works, or should I go for rockier from the start?

Pedullist - Great to hear from you. Get some sleep! I've got a LOAD of listening to do - your recent trip into electronica is on my list...

CanopuS - thanks for listening. Here's a brief gear list:

PC, Windows XP, SONAR 2.2, TC Powercore, Ultrafunk plugins, Izotope Ozone, Autotune
Mics: Superlux CM-H8A, Shure SM58
Behringer MX1604A mixer
Laney LC15 valve amp
Fender strat, custom Jim Moon acoustic, Yamaha RBX270 bass
Alesis M1 Active monitor speakers

The bass is DI-ed. The strat through the Laney is miced with the 58. The vocals and the acoustic are miced with the Superlux.

The drums are a Sonic Implants soundfont, some SlicyDrummer/FillinDrummer loops, and a bit of manual tweaking.

I always record LOADS of takes, and comp together something workable. I find it really hard to "nail" a good complete take, especially with vocals.

Acoustics have lots of bottom-end removed, and a bit of air added. Bass is very compressed. Electrics have lots of bottom removed.

Vocals are compressed and EQ'd, plus lots of Autotune.

The bits of feedback are actually fake - I did them with the Tassman synth, because I can't turn up my amp loud enough to feedback without frightening the neighbours. :(

Cheers

AB

Another great song, very nice man...

I like this alot, this ranks right up there with your other songs... Your accent goes great with this style of music...

The recording sounds nice and clear, the mix sounds good, no complaints from me....

Very catchy melody...:)

Great job!!

great acoustic sounds.........nice start

it seems like it lost a bit of the 'spatial' sound when the electrics kicked in compared to the acoustics....but the tone is good.......

great vocals...i really like the song.......great mix......what are the drums?

Nice tune ! Your vocs were pleasant and the acoustic oerf complimented the overall feeling of the song! I would have added some chorusing or delay when you sang the chorus,"My Heart Fades" just for some emphasis,but that's just my opinion.

Good job ali-baba-ish!

alibish said:
skids - it's funny, my brother said something very similar, that it took him back to his student days. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Not sure about the "kazoo electric" though - that's a real valve amp, I'll have you know! ;) I'm really bad at choosing good guitar sounds - any tips on how I could improve it?

Thank you so much for the comment re the vocal. I deliberately kept the early part softer, then gradually roughened it up. Do you think that works, or should I go for rockier from the start?

I loved the kazoo guitar! :) That emoticon was supposed to say it was cool.

I think your approach of building the vocal was right on. I would not change a thing in that respect. If you were retracking I may look at the phrasing in a few areas. It sounded a little unsure/off, but really no big deal. I would only pay attention to it if you happened to be retracking for some reason. This is really good stuff. Nice work. Your accent takes the cake! :)

Nice to see you back on the board, alibish.

Tasty sound on the acoustic. Impeccable pop styling. Engaging vocal delivery. Bring up the vocal in the chorus 1.5.

Okay, through headphones, there's this thing going on with this mix that I'm struggling with in my mixes as well - the acoustic guitars sound more upfront than the vocals. It's not a big deal, but it bugs me - in order to hear the acoustics in a busy mix, I have to crank them up so high they sound like they're being played at the front of the stage and the singer's behind them. Probably better mixers than me can pull it off, but I'm starting to think that I should keep acoustics out of busy mixes. Whatcha think?

What's the metallic effect on the e guitar that solos at 2.12? I'm not sure about it. I'll let you know after a few more listens. Right now it sounds harshly metallic, but often I just get used to stuff after a few listens and then it's okay.

I like the feel of this one - really nice. 'But when I hear you're doing well, well, well'. Lovely.

Hey Al,
Nice man, ...very nice. The recording is very clean, and well thought out and put together. I love the oooohs in the bg vocs. really nice. Not sure about the guit line that kinda slips outta key at 3:10 or so, it sounds intentional so im sure its artistic choice.... just kinda stood out at first listen. Beautiful song here bro. gw/5

Great song...

Just from a listner's point of veiw thier seems to be a tinty or to much of the metal sound to the guitar at times (you may have planned it that way...

I am new at doing this at well and learning, but there seems to be an opportunity to play with the dynamics of the music...during the verses the music volume should pull back a little to let the lead vocal stand out...sometimes I have a try to listen for the words...another words the music and singing seem to mix...

But I want to say this is good music, good lyrics, and a great recording...

Back