'My Friend Silence'...my 1.5

powderfinger

Well, I guess cause I missed out on the 1.5 submission, this can be my take at it......

this was a very minimal production, mostly because my damn machine kept getting dropouts and crashing.......it was so freakin annoying that i pretty much gave up on this one for the time being.......

so, for that reason, pretty much everything is one or two takes........also, the structure is kind of odd because of my lack of enthusiasm towards programing drums.......

alright, enough excuses........the song is called 'my friend silence'....kind of mix between uncle tupelo and the cars...if that's possible

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1642&alid=154

"make sense -have a pretense"...goddamn it i have that in my new song....lmao....sonofa bitch..:D

cool song even if i have to rewrite mine now..
and you KNOW im a fan of the "woo-hoo hoo's"...!!!!
howd the musician search turn out??...

man the vocal effect or lack there of does remind me of the cars...weird...its not the tone or the melody....cool tho.

like the "silence" at the end too..

keep em coming
jamal

yikes pw, this is super, you're a great vocalist. I like this tune a lot. maybe more bass. but I love it. a great feel. thanks.

Good song. The guitars have great tone and the parts work really well together. That last chord/feedback made me flashback to "Ragged Glory", but judging by your name you're probably a Neil fan - and that's meant as a compliment.

Could use tons more bass guitar.

I can hear why you have a lack of enthusiasm for programming drums. This would sound awesome with a real kit.

It does get a little disjointed towards the end, but I really liked the song. Nice guitar tone.

very cool tune....you should persue this one and tighten it up a bit.....bring that bass up a tad....

at parts where you push the vocal, it has a very Ric Ocasek like quality to it tone wise and phrasing.....

well done......

MIKE

Jamal - that's weird about the lyrics.....keep 'em in your song...i'd like to hear them in the context of what you wrote

dtb - thanks for listening....i'll kick up the bass here in a while and post a remix

fprod south - i love 'ragged glory'....one of my top 5 favorite guitar albums of all time......more bass coming soon

Doug - thanks for listening

VOX - i'm getting ready to listen to your cover thread...thanks for hearing mine

Gidge - thanks for listening.......

Neat song...I'm hearing hmmmm... The Cars? :D It kind of has that sound to it. Maybe it's your voice?

Nice work. Sound purddy good.

Would love to be in a smokey bar somewhere listening to you do this live powder'duder. This thang rocks man!

cool song powder! turn up the bass! Yeah, I won't mention the drums.. nice guitar tone, good vox.. I think I heard some bass clams and maybe that's why it was so low.. good song.. I would really like to hear the rhythm a bit more supportive.. Since it was a 1.5, maybe you can go back in.. cool.

Cool song bro-Very good vocal performance-they sound great too-I like the guitar tone alot is that a rik??? Wasn't crazy about the drums--they seem to be taking power away from the song rather than adding to it--ahh i see you've already got your drum excuse out lol--if you can get the drums on par with some your other tunes-this will sound great--i hear a few cymbal crashes without a kick--that is usually a no no....anyways...The only thing that I didn't care for were the woo-hoo backup vox-they seemed a little on the hokey side considering the tune seemed kinda serious. Personal opinion of course....Overall I think it's a great song-well performed and recorded/mixed.

First--good song and groove. I love the woo hoo hoos! I dig your voice a lot too--especially when you go the upper range. It cuts through nicely. I second the Cars--to some extent.

In the low range, it sounds like the mids are a little scooped, but when you go up, it cuts.

That last chord! Yeah--thats what I'm talkin' about. I love the way it rings out and goes into that static stuff! One of those things that you have to be a guitar player to really appreciate--but I love those kinds of things.

1.5? You definitely captured the essence of the song in the "quick" mode. It would be worth going for the perfect version now. Keep the best of what you did and just concentrate on the fine details of the bass and drums and you got something cool.

Jagular - thanks for listening...gotta love the cars

David - thanks for listening man

B.SABBATH - i think the only remix i'll do is add a little bass...there's plenty more to do on this one, but i'm gonna keep in the minimalist approach of the 1.5 comp

Strat - the guitar is actually an epiphone sheridan......yeah, the drums is the main problem with this one.......in short, to get what i want, i think i need real drums, so i'm not gonna go overboard trying to fiz this one up until i get the chance for some real drums.....thanks for the honest opinons

Crawdad- yeah, i have to say i'm a fan of the feedback too......i use my little practice amp when i record more than i use my marshall.......it can get some nice and nasty feedback sounds at low volumes.......

Hey dude.

Nice song. I like the groove and tempered vocal delivery.

The vox sounds almost too hot for me. Maybe some gate to rid it of the artifacts in between lines?

I think the drum SOUND is very good.

Cool gits........the git on the right seems almost too hard panned.

Nice vocals .

Just some thoughts and nitpicks from my end of the world.

Bet this song rocks live:) :D

Peace,
Theron.

Good vocals. Theres some personality there. Good song.

Ill agree with crawdad. The vocals are scooped and hyped in the upper mids and top end. Which works except that they sound a bit hollow and boomy at the same time bec theres no instrument filling the space in the low mid region but they have what sounds like a bit too much proximity effect in the verses.
The kick drops out in alot of places and probably needs EQ and compression.
Give the guitars some more body at 500Hz. Bring them forward a bit. Bring the snare forward.

Good work. Good classic rock vibe.

theron - thanks for listening, i appreciate the comments....

JuSum - great mix advice...definitely some good stuff in there for when i remix....as this was just a quick 1.5 deal, i'm not doing the usual absurd amount of remixes i do.....but i'm definitely getting back to this one eventually......thanks

Hey Powder,
.......cool tune man. Im not gonna go into mix 'cause i know it was something you did to get done. I like the woo hoo hooo's:) Nice way to break it up.
g

Guernica, thanks for listening man......the whoo hoo's have gotten mixed reviews, but mostly for the best.....i like them cause they aren't like anything i've written before......it's all about trying new things

Back