My First Track/Mix -- NEED Feedback!

mbouteneff

Hey y'all,

I've been lurking in the clinic for a while now, and it's finally time to dive in. I could really use some feedback on this track; it's my first, so beware of the pain!

Here's a 192 kbs version:

Here's a 128 kbs version at SoundClick if the above fails:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=614386

Please let me know what you think, what's good, what's bad...thanks!!

-Mike
(Sonar 3, Reason 2.5)

well thats a really great song...!

i'm not sure how to relay what i'm thinking in words as to the mix, but here goes a try anyway..

it seemed real flat, not tone wize but in a demensional sence. There were some nice pannings on the backing vox, but were hard to hear due to the fact that they sat so far back in the mix.

The fx were really cool on the corus, and the reverse fx on the intro and outro really stood out to me. liked that alot!

Wow. I like it.

Was actually waiting for the band to kick in, but was then surprised by the middle part with the voices in the background which I think is nice.

To be clear, I'm listening and judging on simple headphones as I'm in my lunchbreak at work right now. So there could be other artifacts that I'm not hearing, or things that I'm hearing differently due to the monitoring system.

The only thing I would change at first sight is the delay on the lead vox from 0:27s onwards. It is a bit to much in the background. After around 1:10s, it becomes more to the front, and that's better.

So I would either make them more to the front, or mute them.
My 2 cents :-)

Greetings,
The Niz

Hi Niz and Turtlishous,

Thanks for the feedback, it's MUCH appreciated.

I'll definitely have to look at how I can improve the panning (dimensional) variety in the song... And I'll also bring up the vocal echo.

The mix definitely sounds better with headphones, and worse, say, in a car. I'm not sure why, though perhaps it's related to the 'dimensional flatness' The Niz refers to? Would it help if I just panned everything a little harder left and right? I've kept bass and voice center, and guitar slightly right...

Thanks for your help!

-Mike

Hi

This is a great song. I like the guitar, the vocals and the arrangements. Do you plan to make a more electric version of it ? I think it would be great.

Excellent work.

/Jack Real.

Jack Real: Thanks for the compliments! About an electric version, I'm not sure, that's a great question... Probably not in the near future, as I've got some other songs I've written that I'd love to get recorded. But an electric sound could be very cool...I'll have to think about that.

Thanks!

-Mike

mbouteneff said:
Hi Niz and Turtlishous,

The mix definitely sounds better with headphones, and worse, say, in a car. I'm not sure why, though perhaps it's related to the 'dimensional flatness' The Niz refers to? Would it help if I just panned everything a little harder left and right? I've kept bass and voice center, and guitar slightly right...

Thanks for your help!

-Mike

do you have anything other than your cans to playback on?
as far as the panning goes........i'll pan bass about 15% right on just about everything i do. (depending on the overall master levels, might be left.)
vox i'll keep center and backing i'll double, one hard R and one hard L .

I nice Frippy trippy backward intro.
REALLY good song.
It is begging for electric guitars esp. that swirly bit of strumming & of course the intro does create an expectation. However it works really well as an acoustic tune - though, personally, I'd drop the Frippintro.
Actually - use this version & add 2 electrics, beef up the bassline to it & make 2 mixes: one with & one without

For the record, the dimensional flatness quote was not mine, but Turtlishous'.

An electric version would be something to consider, I agree and I would certainly take a listen.

Greetz,
The Niz

I think you got a great sound out of the acoustic. The playing was good too.

I think an electric version would be cool, or at least one with more instruments (maybe drums?).

Good song and the mix sounds fine to me.

Hey ,

Great song , great singer !!

Comments:
The backings are a little too wide panned.
Acoustic guitar layered and panned LR would sound even better I think, Or if it's already panned, you could pan it even further.

This would sound fucking great with drums, bas , electric guitar, maybe a bit of cello even !

Very nice job

Again, thanks for the awesome comments...your feedback is extremely helpful! Some replies:

Turtlishous: I do use a pair of m-audio BX5a monitors. They're not perfect (the left one is a little shot with distorted sound), so I do a lot of back and forth between the monitors and headphones. ... Panning on bass is interesting, I'll have to try that out. I've got the guitar panned 20% right, so maybe I'll try the bass at 15% left. I've got the background vocals panned about 40% left, which should be ok for now. Great suggestions!

RayC: I love the idea of creating a 2nd version with electric guitars! The 'Frippintro', as you call it....I'll have to think about removing it; I'm sorta partial to it. :)

The Niz: Oops, sorry for the misquote. Another vote for an electric version -- now I'll definitely have to consider it...

Danny.Guitar: Thanks for the feedback on the guitar and mix. I'd love to add drums, but I'm not a great drum loop surgeon yet (and I don't play or own a set). Some day, if I ever hit a studio, maybe I'll get a friend to play a track.

Speaking of which, what do you use to create drum tracks? (besides recording actual drums)

Blor007: By "backings", do you mean the background vocals? Right now, the acoustic guitar is only a single track, panned 15% right. Perhaps I should try doubling it, and panning 100% right, and 85% left? I love the cello idea -- in fact, I've thought about it; unfortunately, I don't know anyone who plays one yet. :) I did add a cello synth trrack to the bridge, but that's not the same.

It seems a lot of people think an electric version is called for -- I'll have to give it a shot some time. Thanks so much for your feedback, everyone!!

-M

mbouteneff said:
Danny.Guitar: Thanks for the feedback on the guitar and mix. I'd love to add drums, but I'm not a great drum loop surgeon yet (and I don't play or own a set). Some day, if I ever hit a studio, maybe I'll get a friend to play a track.

Speaking of which, what do you use to create drum tracks? (besides recording actual drums)

I use ToonTrack's EzDrummer. Best sounding drums I've heard and for only about $180 it's definitely worth it.

By the way, what kind of guitar/mic are you using on this track?

danny.guitar said:
I use ToonTrack's EzDrummer. Best sounding drums I've heard and for only about $180 it's definitely worth it.

By the way, what kind of guitar/mic are you using on this track?

EzDrummer -- I'll need to remember that. I tried a few Reason drum loops, but nothing ever sounded right, and they all seemed to get lost in the mix. Thanks for the tip!

I used a Yamaha acoustic guitar, an Epiphone Les Paul electric guitar, and an MXL v67G mic. I used the mic on all vocals and the acoustic guitar, and plugged the electric guitar and bass directly into a pre-amp. Fun stuff!

Cool song, I like the intro, also that it stayed acoustic. I would be great with electric pumping in with drums, but it seems that is the usual thing to do. (And I love and play electric guitar and drums) But stayeing like you did kept it kind fresh for me. Mix sounds good to me, but I'm still a newbie in the mastering/mix field.

Back