my first song, please listen and critique

Hi

That's pretty good. I like the vocals and the acoustic guitars. The tone of the electric quitar needs some work. Also, I would take a slightly higher pitch for the snare but maybe that's my personal preference. Nice work.

/Jack Real

for me, the acu in the L is kinda thin and over compressed.

maby cut some (not much)mids out of the electric?
and maby turn it down.

de-ess the vox a little. just a few problems in the second verse.

have fun!

corban said:
acoustic guitar in the left hand speaker? just a guess

duh, absolutely. my bad, i guess i was having a brain fart. i agree with giraffe, they do sound a bit thin, any suggestions to "fatten" 'em up?

I think they meant the acoustic guitar on the left...

Not bad for a first post, as previously mentioned, the electric needs some work.... cut mids and volume should help a bunch.

The vox sounds pretty dry for my taste, but that's probably me. I'm on headphones but this is definitely alot better than alot of stuff that gets posted.

One other thing, I'm not caring much for the sound of your cymbals....maybe cut some mids there too if possible.

look forward to an updated version.

:D wow, thanks everyone!! i really wasn't expecting this much of a response. i'll take everyone's advice and try all of it. thanks once again!

p.s. more constructive critism please, how else am i gonna learn :)

Personally, I think the drums sound fine. I think the bass guitar is a bit thin. Maybe it's just me but I think the acoustic is a little out of tune. Not a bad effort overall.

I really liked that song. You might want to work on the fuzzed guitar tone, but really - that's a good song! And I'm a metal guy....weird....

OK - constructively I would suggest backing out a littel on the 'verb in the beginning. I get your desired effect, but the guitar is a little *too* lost IMO. And the fuzzed tone needs work. Too bright and thin.....vocals are too dry IMO...but good...

The other guys have more specific advice...I just wanted to say I like the song!!

this is so cool, the feedback is awesome.
honestly i've been battling with the tone of the "fuzz guitar" for a while now. the way i recorded it was i used my strat (very old, very crappy) and plugged it into my danelectro pedal (also crap) then into my DI box the directly to my mixer to my soundcard.

now when i re-record the fuzz guitar i've got my new epi les paul classic (love it) and my new boss ds-1 distortion pedal. i was also thinking about mic'ing my guitar amp, even though the amp is small and older than dirt i might be able to get a better tone out of it.

any thoughts on that??? suggestions?

wow for a first recording id say that sounds pretty damn good

but like others said the electric guitar tone needs some work

i'm glad ppl here give honest opinions and suggestions. thanks everyone! :cool:

i don't want to be selfish with everyone's feedback, so when i get home from work i'm going to check out as many people's works as i can. thanks :)

Last edited:
I would say at least try micing your amp. Even if it's a little crappy, you'll probably still get a better sound than direct. I haven't heard the song though, cause I"m at work.

corban said:
I would say at least try micing your amp. Even if it's a little crappy, you'll probably still get a better sound than direct. I haven't heard the song though, cause I"m at work.

hahahaha yeah work sure does suck up a lot of useful recording/practicing time. hahaha

Back