My first song on the mixing clinic

Cool tune...

Mix wise your vox is being buried by the guits....
the tracking seems good it's just that you should be able to find better space in the mix for each track...
perhaps lower the volume of the guits slightly to give the vox a chance to be heard better .....

I like the song man....
Take it easy,
Joe

Okay, I'm going to absolutely rip this apart piece by piece.

I like this as much as anything I've ever heard on this site. I like this better than 95% of the commercial cuts I've ever heard in my life.

Hope you're not crying or anything.

Bump the vocal level a tad.

Very cool tune and performance. A liitle too much compression on the guitars. I can hear it pumping. And as mentioned push the vocal up.

Track Rat said:
A liitle too much compression on the guitars. I can hear it pumping. And as mentioned push the vocal up.

Yeah, I actually added compression and limiter to the whole mix with t-racks. I'll tame it some and bump the vocals up. Thanks for the suggestions and keep em coming if you can fellas.

Great sound and a good performance. Not a bad first submission. I agree that the vocals are a bit burried but nothing that can't be fixed.

Good job!

yeah the "mastering" job is the only thing that is really annoying...

i bet if you went back to the original, got the vocal level a bit better, you'd have a much better mix on your hands.

great job.

allow me to pull a chris harris - your voice really reminds me of Jonny Reznik (goo goo dolls). good stuff.

never one to get all of my thoughts into my first post (that's a sign that i kept listening and really liked it!)...

i love how unstructured this song is. it sounds very stream of concioussness...love it.

I really like it. Cool song, very good vocal.

I have a few mix comments, which may or may not be useful:

I'd like to hear the voice more clearly. Turn it up a wee bit, but maybe also carve out a bit of space in the centre guitar with some gentle EQ?

(By the way, how have you tuned that middle guitar? It sounds really loose and cool, and the slight string buzz on the bottom string makes it sound almost sitar-like. Nice.)

The left-hand guitar is, to my ear, too far out to the side, and a bit exposed. I'd bring it in to about 3/4 Left, and maybe soften the sound a little. Try a touch of reverb maybe?

Other than that, very nice. I'm looking forward to hearing the next version.

Cheers

AB

The center guitar is tuned C#C#C#C#G#C#. It gives it that droning quality I was after.

The other panned guitars are standard, but capo'ed at separate fret positions.

Thanks fellas for the comments. They are invaluable. I'll work on the mix more tonight and try to post the second version asap.

wes480 said:
allow me to pull a chris harris - your voice really reminds me of Jonny Reznik (goo goo dolls). good stuff.
Dude...wes, LMAO ... you have no IDEA how hard I had to bite my tongue not to type that. I'm trying to show some self-restraint. LOL. Good call, though.

Nice song. Yeah bump up the vocals.

The only thing I might add to what the others said is that the very wide panning of the guitars is a bit much if the listener is wearing headphones.

Compression is way too heavy on the whole mix. It's killing your tone.... and the vox are too quiet. (basically everything everyone else has already said. :p)

Overall it's a decent first recording. I'd try using different EQ settings/light reverbs on each guitar part to get a bit better separation between the gits. I also do all-acoustic recordings and I have a hard time getting the gits to separate too.

(He not only sings like the goo goo dolls, but plays like em too... the Goo's always tune their guitars to one note so they can play with one finger... I guess it's a "technique" they picked up back when they were a punk band. :p)

WATYF

just echoing comments about overcompression and low vocals and stopping by to say i care. now that the 1.5 challenge is over i can actually keep up somewhat.

so you tune your guitar to all the same note 'cept one string? that's really weird.....but i'm not a guitar player, and i just learnt what DADGAD means a couple months ago.

i like the mandolin.

Great tips fellas. I'm lovin' the ideas I'm getting here.

Anybody have any ideas for extra instrumentation or cutting back on some?

auburncatfish said:
Great tips fellas. I'm lovin' the ideas I'm getting here.

Anybody have any ideas for extra instrumentation or cutting back on some?

drums? bass? keys? uh...?

seriously, get some production happening, bring that mando in and out of the spotlight, push that ac. gitter back a ways... ditch T-racks...or use sparingly, watch the crispys on the vocal sound, kick in a sizzling lead gtr lick, and walla!!

nice tune...the drone gets a little old afterwhile, to me though..

and... how do you tune a gtr to all one note?? weird string assignment? What would a 12 string be like with this tuning??

Good tune, I like it...

Like everybody else though yu need to bring the vocals up or turn everything else down. But I'm just a "rook" so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Dennis

Good

Good song. I agree with one of the other posters... it somewhat reminds me of Goo Goo Dolls. You got some good acoustic guitar tone happening there, but a bit less compression would probably make it even better.

I have noticed some discussion in this thread about ditching T-Racks or cutting back on its use. I have used T-Racks on the first and only song I have posted on this board. What are the downsides to using T-Racks? What would be some of the better alternatives to T-Racks?

-ex13

Back