My first song on here!

SnakeDog5050

2 headed snake witha rake
Hi everyone, I'm brand new here. Looks like a cool place. I look forward to hearing and reviewing everyone's stuff!
So I have a bunch of songs for a CD I've written that I'm curious what everyone thinks. This one's called "Showdown at Carla's Club"

http://www.soundclick.com/artist/7/jameswalrus_music.htm

Let me know what you like/dislike. Any comments would be awesome! Any recommendations on the mixing would help too since I'm just getting into that stuff, like if anything sticks out at any point... for one I'm not quite sure if the bass guitar is mixed right yet... thanks! :D

I pretty muched liked the song. Only one thing I don't like with the recording is the first time were distorted guitar comme in the scene afterwards very good recording ! I like the style of your song it's something rather different ! :)

No Pizza???!!!!! Damn. :D

I like the song, but it sounds mixed pretty heavy to the higher sounds. Might need to try and eq them down a bit. I would like to hear a bit more of the bass. It does seem to get drowned a bit. Overall, the song is good, and you played very well. Just seems to be some mixing issues. Try and lower some of the higher pitched sounds, and that might help the bass. If not, you might need to boost the low end on the bass.

Cool tune, just needs a bit of mixing work on it.
Ed

Hey thanks you two! That's cool you like the song. I guess you can eat some pizza while listening to it, eh? :D Anyway, thanks for the help on the bass. I lowered it, so I can easily raise it again. I think it's just my speakers that are misleading me. I don't have any monitor speakers so the bass sounds too loud on mine, but then I start to realize most songs on this system sound like they have too much bass. It's kind of tricky mixing that way.

Hey real cool song. I agree with above with the highs but to me it sounds like its the lead guitar taking up alot of the highs/high mids at times. Sounds like it sticks above everything else which is cool just maybe a bit too much. Love the song and playing though. On the good note of mixing side i really dig how the bass sticks out, thats my downfall as of late, personally i never get that right.
Again nothing negative really i totally dug the song.

Take care
gary

hi

Okay i am just back from a gig ...my band played last night and the sound was awesome ...we played tonite and i felt like walking off stage lol.....worst gig of my life...anyways

i am very drunk ....but i will say this much about the mp3 ...its very messy ....i'm guessing there isn't meant to be much structue to this type of song/tune................i think the drums sound real good

i'm not overly fussed about the guitars....synth sounds good at the start

but like i said, i am very drunk and in a very very bad mood with a certian s
sound guy at the gig .......... :confused: i will listen again 2moro when i am less inebriated

Lurgan...maybe you just should have waited until tomorrow to post....

gbav...you didn't make much sense...first you say you agree with Dogman that the bass is too low...then you say that you like how the bass stands out in this song.
This is why it's hard to post in this forum...some people try to sound like experts but rarely make sense....Except for those of you who are qualified to post, and you know who you are.
My opinion is that it's a great performance, but you need to turn up the bass a little bit.

Hey guys, thanks for the reviews! Even if you're drunk ;) You're probably going to come on here tomorrow and not even remember writing that... and realize there's no synth in the song. :p I guess it does kind of sound like a synth though...

Anyway, the "sloppy" structure is just my style. This song actually has more structure than most of my stuff with that repeating chorus type riff. I'm just more into writing progressive type stuff. And as far as instrumentals go I usually like one guitar that's kind of the vocalist/lead instrument. Two of you said the lead sticks out a little too much, so maybe I overdo it a bit this time.

Gary, you say you're looking for a better bass sound. The way I record mine is that I plug the bass into my cheap preamp that goes into the soundcard and record really loud, but without distortion. Then when I work with the mix I lower it/eq it as needed. It's just nice to start with something so full and work down rather than having to work up from something weaker. I also use the amplitube software for my bass amplifier.

Thanks again guys! Till next time...

...you didn't make much sense...first you say you agree with Dogman that the bass is too low...then you say that you like how the bass stands out in this song.
This is why it's hard to post in this forum...some people try to sound like experts but rarely make sense....
Over reacting maybe? IMO writing about music is a convoluted thing at best, and if something comes across odd, it's good to consider possible alternate meanings.

Getting a verbal idea across re music can be tough. For instance, in another thead somebody who I know has a very good ear said, "Has a dark tone to the vocals, that goes in a different direction than the music. Music is not so dark. I think the vocals would sit better if you eq'd some of the high end out of them". Contradictory? Naw... "tone" can mean different things. So can "sticks out". Well, my point is that many of the things we say about music could be misunderstood. Words like "tonality", "mode", "loud", "tight", "song" and many more are each used often to mean very different things.

Oh, and Snakedog, the tune and arrangement are cool. Beyond that... what Dogman said.

Tim

Last edited:
lurgan liar said:
Okay i am just back from a gig ...my band played last night and the sound was awesome ...we played tonite and i felt like walking off stage lol.....worst gig of my life...anyways

i am very drunk ....but i will say this much about the mp3 ...its very messy ....i'm guessing there isn't meant to be much structue to this type of song/tune................i think the drums sound real good

i'm not overly fussed about the guitars....synth sounds good at the start

How was i able to type so good.....sorry about my drunkeness, i was in a very bad mood last night....

I've listened again and i really like it....lol i have no idea how i heard a synth lol .....what on earth was i drinking lol :eek:

I really like the quiet section around 4 minutes ...nice riff :D

You need to calm down, I agreed with him on the high end being to high I didn't mention anything about the bass except I liked it. Why I sometimes dislike posting here is i hate defending myself about things I never claimed to be an expert on. I don't even know why im bothering to reply to be honest.. take care

gary

gbav, don't sweat it......You gave your opinion, which is what SnakeDog was after. The rest is inconsequential.....

I rarely say anything negative about anyones music post, and I do not want to start now. But if you put it up, you obviously want input. I also did not read any of the other replies you may have gotten, so as not to influence my input.

First I want to say that I like the guitar tones, and I would love to hear some good bass tone. You do seem to lose confidence in your geetar playing , in several places. I thought at one point you were just going to stop....I do like the composition of this tune.

It definitely needs to be tighter, even if it is meant to be loose, it needs to be tight loose, which it isn't.

I think you do have the makings for a kick ass song. Hope I have not offended you.

That is my 2 cents worth :)

Hey everyone, I appreciate the input. And don't worry gbav, I understood what you're saying and that was helpful. And true-eurt, no problem, anyone can feel free to bash my stuff if they feel that way when they hear it, I'd rather hear negative input than nothing at all. As far as the tightness of the song goes, I agree there are places it could be tighter. it's probably just my style of recording now. I prefer to go and record something I already know on the first take of each instrument really loud and in more of a live setting. To me it just always feels like the song has more emotion that way than sitting there and playing individual parts till they are perfect. If I ever do anything I'm really serious about I'd make sure all the parts are perfectly together or just practice it more, but for now I'm just having fun and seeing where it takes me.

And lurgan, that was impressive typing! Maybe there's like a hidden synth in there that only drunk people hear, that'd be cool.. later all ;)

SnakeDog5050 said:
Hey everyone, I appreciate the input. And don't worry gbav, I understood what you're saying and that was helpful. And true-eurt, no problem, anyone can feel free to bash my stuff if they feel that way when they hear it, I'd rather hear negative input than nothing at all. As far as the tightness of the song goes, I agree there are places it could be tighter. it's probably just my style of recording now. I prefer to go and record something I already know on the first take of each instrument really loud and in more of a live setting. To me it just always feels like the song has more emotion that way than sitting there and playing individual parts till they are perfect. If I ever do anything I'm really serious about I'd make sure all the parts are perfectly together or just practice it more, but for now I'm just having fun and seeing where it takes me.

And lurgan, that was impressive typing! Maybe there's like a hidden synth in there that only drunk people hear, that'd be cool.. later all ;)
No,no,no,no...I am not bashing!!! Never bashing! That would be soooo wrong to bash someones talent...I am sorry you took it that way. I apologize, I'm just am not good at expressing myself at times! I meant it all as constuctive critcizm.(you did say you wanted that), NOT BASHING!! :( I meant what I said that I thought you had a kick ass song in the making!!

Oh no true-eurt, I didn't mean it that way. That wasn't directed at you. I just meant to say to anyone - feel free to say anything negative if you feel that way. I'm asking for it and I'm not going to be offended by it. Sorry for the confusion. ;)

SnakeDog5050 said:
Oh no true-eurt, I didn't mean it that way. That wasn't directed at you. I just meant to say to anyone - feel free to say anything negative if you feel that way. I'm asking for it and I'm not going to be offended by it. Sorry for the confusion. ;)
Whew!!! I am glad of that. :) Thanks for not being offended.

Nobody has a bigger heart than True. She really didn't mean it as bashing. And Snakedog should be commended for taking everyone's comments for what they are...opinions.
Personally, I think it's a cool, loose jam.

Back