Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My first Jazz recording

Thanks

My first Jazz recording

Sign in to disable this ad
    Just had my first jazz band in the other day. We did a 7-hour session, and they were rather enthusiastic about the idea of my posting one of their tunes. Anyway, I think we all kind of liked the way this one came out . . .

Second one down; "My Favorite Year."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/...d=1298&alid=-1

btw: It's nice working with guys who can sing, isn't it?

Thanks
    You're right he sure can sings. Sounds great. Not really my style though. Nice mix, sounds professional to me..

Thanks
    wow..sounds great..professional

can you make me sound like that

i like jazz...but lately i have been liking it more and more...i wish i could play like that
    It's all in the reflexes.

Thanks
    That's a little too "adult contemporary" for my taste ( I dig more traditional jazz) but the recording sounds really smooth and clean.

Good job, chess!

Thanks
    Not really my style of music, but man the recording sounds absolutely great! It reminds me of '70's adult contemporary. I appreciate the musicianship, and the writing. Total pro recording. Great job!!
    [url=http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3232&alid=-1]Here are some of my tunes. Good for a laugh![/url]

Thanks
    Thanks so much for the kind words, guys.

The style of music really isn't my bag, either, I must admit (kind of makes me think of riding an elevator or waiting in a dentist office). But I have to try and make it sound it's best regardless. Plus, getting the opportunity to work with skilled musicians can only make me look better, I suppose. Hey, it's gotta' work both ways. And it's less work (practically mixes itself).

Thanks
    Hey guy, remember me? We talked a lot when I was getting advice on my bottom feeder system. Anyway, great job. I love this kind of music.

Great sound and great job all the way around

Joe

Thanks
    Originally posted by Smokepole
    Hey guy, remember me? We talked a lot when I was getting advice on my bottom feeder system.
    You were the guy who was stuck in "preamp hell," weren't you? Those were some of my favorite posts; Bon Jovi and the Behringer compressors . . . the dmp3.

Speaking of which, that dmp3 was all over this particular track like flies on you-know-what. Had a keyboard d.i. through channel A, and a guitar DI in channel B (straight from the guy's digitech whatever).

So what did you eventually settle on, anyway?

Thanks
    hmm....

All i really want to say is that I'm really sorry that your first time recording some jazz is on some elevator music. (sorry i love jazz, but don't care for %90 of the vocal jazz i hear.) I don't want to go into the music or the group too much. Hard for me to critique this. To me though it sounds thin, sort of 2 dimentional. I definitly don't get the feeling that these people are playing in the same room- mostly that direct guitar puts me off in a bad way.

try a mix with the vocal a few db louder, possibly a reverb smattered over the mix, and get your fingers/mouse on those faders maybe- try to breathe some extra dynamic into the music.
    -jhe

Thanks
    I like the recording! Yeah, I agree it's kinda sounds 2 dimensional, but I like that for this! Yeah... Very 70's sounding... It works great for it!

Thread Information