My first jab at recording.

innobidova

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=516796
With all of my new gear, and with little experience as a recording engineer/enthusiast, I'm trying to become familiar with the results that I should expect to achieve. I'm a little embarassed, so I won't say what gear I used but I'd be glad to tell if asked. If you can, though, please try to develop some thoughts on it and share them with me! I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

Last edited:
innobidova
Good beginnings.
The bass needs a little controlled EQ. Not much BASS in it.
I wish my 1st recordings were this good.
The voices are a bit lifeless.
The picked guitar brings a nice dynamic just when needed.
Maybe pan the vocals whne the bvox come in OR be a traditionalist with bass & voices in the middle & guitars panned.
Keep at it.
Cheers
rayC

Good tune, I like the rhythm guitar sound you're getting here.

The bass is a bit trebly (as mentioned by RayC) and I would prefer it panned center.

Vocals are a bit too "roomy" - I'd bring them closer to the mic - although you've got a definite room reverb happening...

Nice lead part on the end.

This is just a taste though - when can we hear the whole song!

Thank you. I actually meant to pan the bass back to the middle after messing around with it, but I forgot about it. I certainly am all about the traditional approach mentioned by rayc. As I record my band in the next couple weeks, I'll be sure to take notes of what's going on so I don't forget anything. I EQ'd everything except the bass because I was mixing with headphones at the time :eek:, and the bass sounded okay in the headphones. My monitors will soon be put to use. The vocals sound roomy because I put too much fake reverb on them. Also, I was only 80% trying and I'm not much of a singer anyway. That might explain the lifelessness. Oh yeah, and I threw up the night before which made my voice shakey. I also forgot to use the metronome for the vocals, so that's why they're a little delayed. I did mess with distance and gain, though. I think, as long as I practice more, I'll start to get some decent vocal takes. I don't plan on recording the full version, since this one was just for fun. I'll certainly post back with my band's upcoming material, though, which should be much better as I'll get more serious about it. Much more time will be spent editing. I think it helped to post my clip here because it raised my conscience for preparing any future listening delights. But, sorry to tease with that minute-long summary. I think it's more of a tease, though, not to post my gear so I'll just go ahead and do that. I used:

*untreated bedroom
*Epiphone PR100
-D'Addario phosphor bronze custom lights
-Dunlop nylon .88

*ESP B-105
*Audio-Technica AT4050
-Stedman pop screen
-Martone cable (Canare StarQuad with gold plated Switchcraft ends)

*Extreme Isolation headphones
-used for vox and mixing
*Fostex T50RP headphones
-used for acoustic and bass
*Presonus Firepod
*Tracktion 2
-some effects were used (see above explanation)

Back