my first full-length

jimmychalk

Hey y'all, I just finished the first full-length cd from my home studio. It's being put out by my church... I did all the tracking, mixing, and a good bit of performing and we had it professionally mastered (spent about an hour doing it... rush job!!)

Check it out here and let me know what you think. It's the first CD on the list.

http://www.communitybible.com/music/index.html

Not beeing christian, the lyrics mean zip to me, so I can't comment on those. I can however, comment on the musical aspect:
Who you are:
More than a good song. Good production too. Female vocals could use more emotion, and the climax could be a bit bigger. The male vocals are really not my thing.
Never changing:
Snare sounds too far away (sound like the recording room is not completely dry?). About the song itself: same story. Nice, but please don't let the other songs be of the same stuff.
Stellar:
Ah, thank you, acoustical guitar. Ok, it's pretty clear the production is gonna be pretty good through out the album. Try to make the drums a bit less dry on every song, especially the snare sounds boxy to me.
Rest of the songs:
In a nutshell, you seem to get the basic idea of how to write a song, but that's just what they are, songs, and nothing more. They don't my make skin tingle or even put a smile on my face. They sound ok, good at times, but with a very small "wow" factor. Everything is predictable, it's either an acoustical song or a poprock song. You don't seem to have "your sound". Try to work on that, and try writing stuff that's a bit more off the main road.

One last thing:
I know it's a praise album, but absolutally every song seems to have the exact same theme and idea. That could be the entire point, but it doesn't keep me interested for 10 songs.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks Halion... I've definately noticed the lack of dynamics and "skin-tingling" coolness. This is the first album I played on and recorded and I'm amazed at people who can get a great product when they do so much because being involved on so many levels just lends itself to a little bit of monotony. You guys rock.

Anybody else got some idears or comments?!

Hey Jimmy,

I AM a christian and this thing rocks, in all aspects. How did you get guitar on you covered me. Thats the sound Im looking for. I know thats a little open ended. The whole thing sounds great. I would really like to hear the story behind this whole thing. Keep on Keepin on man.

Tony

I guess I was expecting something along the lines of "traditional gospel" music when I read this thread. But thats besides the point, it sounds good to me except there wasn't that ONE song that would that really moved me whenever I hear a gospel album.

Back