My first effort

Generally, I like your sound. Some good arrangements and interesting melodic contrast. Not so into the the lyrics, just hear too many cliches. Vocals need some more development. You could probably turn down the effects a little on the vocals as well. The guitar solo at end of "come to me" should be a lot higher up in the mix. Good work overall, stay the course, I'd be interested to see what else you come up with.

sounds good. not my type of music though. i make hip hop. are the drums electronic? your drums are to basic i think. you need some snap to it. my opinion

Thanks for the input. Keep in mind this isn't a final mix and I'm using very cheap gear. I'm only 21 so I Have plenty of time to learn the ropes of recording.

By Vocal development what do you mean? (any tips)

The Drums for the most part are electronic:) I don't have a drum set at my house at the moment.

Did you listen lo-fi or hi-fi? because on lo-fi the drums really does lose it's snap.

I haven't posted here for a year or so, but I'm doing some home recording again and like the spirit here. On your mixes, I don't like the drum sound at all - monotonous and boring. Nothing worse than boring. The quality of the sound is OK, so maybe you can put in some fills or breaks or cymbal crashes here and there. The first 2 songs sound like they use the same drum pattern at the same tempo. Not a good idea, especially if you listen to them in order,

drums: crazy wet samples - proccessed to the max, but you might like that sound. I think what everyone is saying about them is that they do not sound realistic at all. It's really TITE and COMPUTERIZED...etc. doesnt feel human/real,etc.

vox - sounds worse when it's panned, sounds lofi kinda.
guitar affects in the "bridge" is kinda cool I think...ha.

Drums. In your first tune, your intro consists of synth drums or something. The beat is ok, but it just sounds cheesy. I don't have a kit either, but I do have the best loops in the business.

Check this out...very reasonably priced:Drums On Demand

Guys I really appreciate the feedback:) I've let tons of my friends listen to the 4 tunes I posted and none of them had anything negative to say about the drums (in fact they usually would ask who played the drums). But I notice the electronic quality to them as do you because we're musicians. Some of you guys maybe drummers (I'm not and I'm using a Zoom Rhythm Track).

I'm not trying to make a album to sell 100,000 copies. All I want is a solid demo to show my friends and fellow musician's.

But aside the drums what do you think about the actual songs? (no one has mentioned my guitar or bass playing so i'm guessing that's a good thing). Most people including k105 think the songs are catchy and good pop tunes. But then again thier not musicians and not as critical to the little things us musicians are.

Disclaimer: I'm somewhat new to recording too, so my take advice with a friendly grain of salt. :)

Yep, the drums. They have so much reverb on them that they sound like an 80's hair metal drum machine. Not necessarily a bad thing, if you like that type of music. But if you're looking to make them sound realistic, I'd find some better drum samples and hold back on the processing a touch. You could also probably lower the snare sound in the mix a bit. Also change up the beats a bit with some fills and stuff, maybe. The beats in the first two songs sound a bit too similar, as someone mentioned. The drums in the last song sound best to me.

The guitars sound good...nice and fat tone you got there (good playing, too). Cool wah-wah, too. Overall, I think the lyrics could be just a bit louder in the mixes. I'm finding it hard to understand the lyrics at some points. What I can hear is pretty well done, though.

Sounds real good so far, this is quite a first effort!

I appreciate the feedback Synesthesia. I agree I think I need to raise the vocals a hair. The last song is my newest one so you can see I'm getting better with the drum samples I have.

Here's my equipment.

Yamaha MG 12/4 mixer
comp16 compressor
Marshall AVT50 AMP
Studio Projects mic
Roland Monitors

I need a few upgrades as you can tell:)

dont stress it dude i may be worse off than you

Behringer B1
Behringer UB802
Behringer DI
Behringer composer pro (compressor)
Behringer headphone amp
Zoom 2000 reverb/delay
Boss GT-6
audiophile 24/96
sonar 2xl
samson 65as

Only listened to D.L.A.

I think that if you tweak your technique a bit and get a (human) drummer with some cool chops on there, you'll have something pretty cool there.

Not that this isn't "pretty cool" - You know what I mean...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Yeah I could really use a HUMAN drummer (even though I'm kinda partial to a techno sound). But my setup at the moment isn't enough to record drums. Thanks to everyone who gave my music a try.

Back