My first crack at the grinder

LeeRosario

I just wanted to share a little something of what's new on my end.

I'm currently working with a band called "Alpha Beta Base". Interesting sound, I must say.

I had a chance to post an unmastered version of a song called, "Push Me". Give the guys props, they have worked really hard!

If you want to have a listen, let me know what you think. Easy, I'm a bleeder!

just kidding. Enjoy. :)

Song

Sounds like a good and punchy mix man. Not much to say, as it sounds really good here. Nice performance, and it came out well.
Ed

Dogman said:
Sounds like a good and punchy mix man. Not much to say, as it sounds really good here. Nice performance, and it came out well.
Ed

Thanks man :)...

I guess at this point I'm just probably thinking of ways to really get these vocals going a bit more...

can't really think of anything for the moment. Probably reworking the lyrics a bit seems to be some kind of option. Any ideas are always welcome!

LeeRosario said:
I just wanted to share a little something of what's new on my end.

I'm currently working with a band called "Alpha Beta Base". Interesting sound, I must say.

I had a chance to post an unmastered version of a song called, "Push Me". Give the guys props, they have worked really hard!

If you want to have a listen, let me know what you think. Easy, I'm a bleeder!

just kidding. Enjoy. :)

Song

Hey Lee,

Sounds great on my work pc speakers!
Very clear and each instrument distinguishable, I like the guitar tone, but I think the main mix drops down in volume too much when the vocals enter!....or is it the vocals too up front for the rest of the mix!..........That is purely a levels issue!

I love the synth sounds of strings!

The vocals definitely come more alive as the song progresses!

I really like this tune Lee, I am going to download and play on my home stereo!

Nice work!....Thanx for sharing!

Gorty

cincy_kid said:
listening as I type. Some 311 influences? ;)

nice recording job. I like the sound of this song.

oh most definitly. I've gotten that alot since I started showing the mix. Probably why I got so into ABB in the first place. :)

Very cool, the vox are particularly good. Nothing for me to nitpick here, its a good mix and a good band. Nice stereo effects. I would of course use real string players.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D but the string thing sounds good. Well done and props to the band. :cool:

Gorty said:
Hey Lee,

Sounds great on my work pc speakers!
Very clear and each instrument distinguishable, I like the guitar tone, but I think the main mix drops down in volume too much when the vocals enter!....or is it the vocals too up front for the rest of the mix!..........That is purely a levels issue!

I love the synth sounds of strings!

The vocals definitely come more alive as the song progresses!

I really like this tune Lee, I am going to download and play on my home stereo!

Nice work!....Thanx for sharing!

Gorty

hehe!

about the vocals, I think that will probably settle a bit better once we get to mastering.

I of course wish I had the ability to do it myself, but I think that parts far beyond my equipment and knowledge. I feel more useful as a track/mix engineer, anyway. :D

Oh, plus hey....I activated the download, so you can definitly have at it. :D

Kind words guys :)

By the way, did anyone catch the reference? Alpha Beta Base is a reference from a movie which happens to be Neds (drummer) favorite movie. One of mine as well.

I'll give you a hint,

"This is Buck Burdock, calling from Alpha Beta Base"

"Who's Buck Burdock, Ted?"

DavidK said:
I would of course use real string players.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D but the string thing sounds good.

Oh you don't know how bad I wanted that! It just came out too expensive. :(

Next time around, I definitly am fighting for real strings. (cough cough) :D

I personally am a huge fan of live string ensembles, but we ended up settling with the reason strings.

The original wasn't supposed to have strings, but I started fiddling around one night with the sounds and out came that part. Showed it to the band the next day and they came up with that Zepplin "string battle" thing.

Kinda cool how that allowed us to rewrite the second verse of the song.

WARNING WARNING......NON GENERIC GUITAR SOUND
Nice touches on the periphery: the psych guitar that noodled in the L speaker for a few moments at 1.30, the light percussive touches in the right.
What did you use for the guitar sounds? Just far enough away from generic to sound meaty yet mighty.
Some of the lyric phrasing is a little stilted around 1.50+.
The B/vox sit nicely.
The string wars would'v been nice real. Can't have it all - BUT....
The line has a very eastern feel - something that The Tea Party do so well.
Well done in the recording & pretty good work in the playing too. It all hangs together like it belongs.
Cheers
rayC

This is something really special!
Very nice! Guitars are sounding like a nice dream!
Can I please listen one more time?

rayc said:
WARNING WARNING......NON GENERIC GUITAR SOUND
Nice touches on the periphery: the psych guitar that noodled in the L speaker for a few moments at 1.30, the light percussive touches in the right.
What did you use for the guitar sounds? Just far enough away from generic to sound meaty yet mighty.
Some of the lyric phrasing is a little stilted around 1.50+.
The B/vox sit nicely. Can't have it all - BUT....
The line has a very eastern feel - something that The Tea Party do so well.
Well done in the recording & pretty good work in the playing too. It all hangs together like it belongs.
Cheers
rayC

thanks for the comments man :) def like the detail on the info.

You know quite honestly, on the guitar sounds we went with a Line 6 POD rackmountable, but I think the difference was really in the EQs. The studio we are using for this carries "Q-Clone" which basically copies the exact sound of any EQ.

I think I ended up going with one of the Neve settings. The before and after was amazing. Gave the guitars a nice mist.

The rest was pudding production work. So in other words, what I usually do is I have the rhythm guitarist work with at least two types of distortion per song:

-A slightly less chunky with a slightly lower gain setting. I usually like the sound of rectified stuff. Deftonesish if you will.

That in turn ends up being the main left and right guitar tracks. To help with "chunk", I used both L and R outputs from the line 6 and assigned it to a mono track. So you kind of have 2 guitar takes in one.

This is what I label "Verse D Guitars L and R". The effect is specific to the verses, but I also have the guitarist play through the choruses as well.

-Second, the chorus guitar tracks,

If you listen carefully, you can hear a second layer of guitars comming during the choruses. This plays blended with the verse guitar tracks.

I usually reserve the chorus guitar channels for a meatier, ultra thick fuzz distortion. Not so shrill on the high end as the verse guitars. The gain is full blast on this one.

I keep these seperated for obvious reasons...plus it makes it alot easier to create different progressions for the song.

So by the end of it, my track list would look like so:

Intro Guitar L
Intro Guitar R

Verse Guitar L (also my main guitars)
Verse Guitar R

Chorus Guitar L
Chorus Guitar R

Lead Guitar L
Lead Guitar C (to fill up the center channel in key places)
Lead Guitar R

So each grouping has a different and specific guitar effect and type of distortion. So in the end, you got a few different colors to work with and it helps the song naturally fall into place without a lot of automation.

Same with voices. The intro sequence uses a different mic than the main voices. Same with that last outro sequence. All with the intention of creating different colors. :)

I'm excited, cause we'll be going back later today to tackle those few parts. again, thanks for the comments guys.

very nice, this is on pc speakers at work.
any problems you may have are underneath my threshold of
detectibilty. nice tune, nice performance, nice sounds, nice work.
could have been on the radio if I didn;t know better.
C.

Sounds great. How did you do the vocal effect at the beginning on "The age of misconception..."? I know that's a standard trick, but I can't figure out how to do it.

dirtythermos said:
Sounds great. How did you do the vocal effect at the beginning on "The age of misconception..."? I know that's a standard trick, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Sounds like the singer is singing into a megaphone (dont know if this is a megaphone or just an effect put on after though)...

Back