My first attempt...please have a listen

the vocals need to go way up.......they're buried right now.......the tracks are all sounding pretty good, just crank the vocal up more

Yeah...I am having the hardest time with the vocals. The lead really needs to be done over as it really doesn't sound that good (could it be the SCM900???) :eek:

Yeah, I know that mic sucks but for $50...I knew what I was getting into. All the tracks were recorded through a Behringer MX602A into a Soundblaster Live at first. Then I picked up a Delta 1010LT and started cleaning up some of the sloppy sounding tracks. The lead vocal is from the original session and has a horrible delay on them (was recorded WITH delay, bad move). Guitars recorded with OLD Tube Works Tube Driver amp with an SM57. Drums were programed in Reason 2.0 and "Rewired" into Sonar XL 2.0.

Next on my list of things to buy are a decent Mic Pre...been looking for the Joe Meek MQ3 to no avail. It appears that they have discontinued it, oh well. I was also told to check out the Focusrite Track Master. I just ordered a Studio Projects B1 and I am looking into getting some small condensers in the near future for Drum overheads.

I wish my first attempt at home recording would have sounded this good.

But then, I started on a 4-track cassette.;)

If you add more guitars you might run into problems though. The mix is pretty full already, especially from the mids down. Everything has to have a place to fit.

If it was mine I'd re-do the vocals, add a guitar solo or two and put a fork in it.:D

That is exactly what I am going to do. When I said add guitars, I meant to the break section and some leads over the end. Then redo the vox.

Just bring the vocals up and you'll be cooking with Crisco.I would double the vocals all the way through for this kind of song.The music tracks sound pretty good......some frequencies in the drums,bass and guitars might be fighting for the same space though....something seems to be muddying up the mix as a whole.

You have some strong tracks though.....good enough to work with and tweak.

Great! Thanks for the feedback. I am not exactly sure what is contributing to the muddiness myself. I just realised that the guitar tracks were also from the original session. We tried to redo them but couldn't get the same sound, I think we got lucky once. Hopefully we will be finishing this one up soon. I am really getting into the HR thing....probably too much :)

I have a problem with hobbies...too many and not enough cash!!!

Great for a first dig recording! The vocals seem a little dry and need to be brought up, The guitar track has a muffled sound so maybe some eq will help there. all in all very nice job, I wish I had such a good starting point.
Peace
Bill

Try putting some compression on the vocals tracks and they will sit in the mix better. I agree with everone else, the levels are too low.

Nice job!

I haven't read the comments above, sorry if I repeat.

the 1st guitar sounds a little too sharp, but it when everything kicks in, it sounds fine. lead vocal needs to come up(need some compression, too), the bass guitar gets burried here and there. But the stereo image is nice and the drums sound pretty decent.

I think once you get the vocals fixed, this whole mix will sound 10 times better. Good job

AL

Nice performance all around. Nice pop song feel. Kind of had a mid-1970's feel to me.

In the interested of being repetitive, the vocals need to come up. The overall mix was a bit quiet. The bass in the intro was getting overwhelmed by the highhat. And the first guitar that came in was a little harsh sounding. Things shaped up just fine after the intro.

Good job.

Wilson.... Cool sounding song. I think the guitar tone is great. I hate to keep beating the dead horse, but the vocals do need to come up. Was the guitar recorded direct or miced?

Wow...I guess the vocals need to come up! :P

The guitar was recorded with a Tubeworks TubeDriver Amp, using an SM57, into a Behringer MX602A mixer, into a SBlive.

I see what you mean about muddy now. I was listening to the final mix on my PC speakers (Altec Cube 3 speaker) and it sounded much better than on the monitors (Event TR5s).

Back to the drawing board!

Back