My first acoustic song...

Sounds really well recorded. Nothing wrong with that. The little solo bit maybe could jump out at you a bit more, but that's just my first reaction.

keep on truckin'

First impressions are it sounds pretty damn nice! I'd cutt some bottom out of the backups. The lead vocals are pretty full and the backups seem to stack up some frequencies on top of them.

That's about it. Bringing down the backups may do it, I vote for thinning them up some or maybe both.

I'd probly use a low shelf to pull 3 or 4 db from around 400hz down maybe add a db or 2 centered at 5k and remix the volume of the backups from there. Lead vox might take a touch of 5k too but they sound fine when by them selves.

Sounds very cool & well written!

F.S.

Wow, that was quick!

Thanks for taking a listen, and for the advice... I'll mess around with it some more.

There is one thing that I can't figure out though. At about 1:29/30ish, halfway through the word "by" there is a click noise on the vocal, and I can't figure out why/ how it got there. Any ideas?

whjr15 said:
Wow, that was quick!

Thanks for taking a listen, and for the advice... I'll mess around with it some more.

There is one thing that I can't figure out though. At about 1:29/30ish, halfway through the word "by" there is a click noise on the vocal, and I can't figure out why/ how it got there. Any ideas?

Hmmm? It did not jump out at me. I will have to try and listen again. Right now I am on a lap top. Did you solo the vocal track to make sure it is that track?

F.S.

i didnt notice the click, but as i was listening i wasnt really looking for it. if you used auto tune it could have been doing it, i've heard it click before and not to0 sure why it did it. the song sounds really nice and is mixed nice. good job.

Nice job, sounds good.

This is very nitpicky and just my taste, so take this with a grain of salt. I am a strings player. I don't like how the strings end, they cut out too abruptly for me. Might want to fade them a bit more gently. To me, there is a big hole when they end. A longer, more gradual fade will cover that hole.

If it was me, I'd mix the strings just a bit more up, say 1 to 2 db.

Well I listened for the click. I closed my eyes so as not to poison my ears at 1:29 ;) I hear it but, it's hardly noticable. If you had not pointed it out I doubt I would ever pick up on it as it sits right now. If you plan to have it mastered or squeeze it tighter your self I would fix it now. It may become more of an issue.

Actually it's already an issue for you, sooooo if you can I'd fix it.

Sounds like a pop from somthing turning on in the house/facility. Bathroom heatlamp or a heater/ac. Something that draws some watts turning on can give you pops sometimes.

Oh ya the end does need serious work, I did not mention it before because I figured you just haven't got there yet. May still be the case;)

F.S.

the acoustic solo....is it compressed? just automate it if its quiet. its tone just seems a little colored.

the doubled acoustics...are those compressed? they're doubled so its tricking me. maybe make the attack a little slower, or just do without.

what sort of acoustic is it?

cool stuff. Pretty generic but well written and recorded. Is that an auto tuner I hear on the vocals?

myhatbroke said:
cool stuff. Pretty generic but well written and recorded. Is that an auto tuner I hear on the vocals?
Dude shut up. You only said that because someone else did. :rolleyes:

I think it sounds pretty damn good. Very good acoustic sound. Great job. Just fix the ending.

Greg_L said:
Dude shut up. You only said that because someone else did. :rolleyes:

I think it sounds pretty damn good. Very good acoustic sound. Great job. Just fix the ending.
Get off my ass. I didn't even read the other comments when I said that. You can tell it has an autotuner. It's got this ghost like sound to his voice.

I'm not gonna hide the fact that I did use pitch correction on some parts... More notably backup vox, and some lead parts that were fairly off-pitch. I didn't use it on every note I sang, (if you listen, there's still some words that are off-pitch... I left 'em like that for the sake of "realism".) and I think that "ghost like" sound was derived more from crappy room/mic technique than anything else... That and the lack of a good monitoring system is why I posted it here to see what others thought of it.

But thanks to all who listened and gave their opinion(s), I appreciate it.

cello_pudding said:
the acoustic solo....is it compressed? just automate it if its quiet. its tone just seems a little colored.

the doubled acoustics...are those compressed? they're doubled so its tricking me. maybe make the attack a little slower, or just do without.

what sort of acoustic is it?

Offhand, I don't believe the "solo" is compressed... If any, a very small amount. The intonation on it (Martin DMXE) is a little out of whack, so maybe that's what you're hearing when you say "colored?"

The doubled acoustics are compressed, but as far as the settings go I couldn't tell you offhand.

I am listening with laptop speakers so take this lightly.

Sounds good. Nice mixing of guitar and vocals. clean. The intro jumps right out which is nice. I hate when people play long drawn out intros that have no relevance. It just makes it repetetive.

The vocals on " tears that I cry...memories you and me..." the harmony or something sounds off mainly on the "tears that I cry...memories" line. Just being nitpicky since everyone else already gave you a decent overall assessment. Could be the auto-tune if thats being used, or just the harmony not being totally locked in.

Also, the second chorus on the line " you and meEeEe." did you punch that one in or something? It seems like it jumps out faster. It seems almost out of time or out of sync or something. Like you almost forgot to say the line and then spit it out real fast.

Other than that it sounds pretty good. hope I helped.

Good stuff man.

I'm diggin the guitar sound, the lows could be cut a bit, but I like how the highs aren't overly bright but rather it glistens when you single strum the chords.

The ending could be cleaner, I hear you hitting your keyboard or something at the end to stop recording. haha. I have those in my songs too. Probably stick in a long fade out that cuts out before the clicks and you're good.

I'm curious to what your setup is like.

-T

TLEE1183 said:
Good stuff man.

I'm diggin the guitar sound, the lows could be cut a bit, but I like how the highs aren't overly bright but rather it glistens when you single strum the chords.

The ending could be cleaner, I hear you hitting your keyboard or something at the end to stop recording. haha. I have those in my songs too. Probably stick in a long fade out that cuts out before the clicks and you're good.

I'm curious to what your setup is like.

-T

Haha yeah, the whole ending is pretty sketchy. I was in a rush to get the song done, and obviously looked over some things. But yeah, those noises are keyboard noises lol.

My setup is pretty minimal. It consists of an Alesis multimix usb mixer, a Blue Bluebird, and a computer. The guitar in this recording is my Martin DXME.

Back