My best song yet...

elenore19

Slowing becoming un-noob.
I am extremely proud of this song, more than any other ones I've written.

Have a listen, if you would.
Comments and criticism are strongly encouraged, especially in terms of recording quality.

Thanks guys. (and ladies)

-Elliot

www.myspace.com/freakerswithspeakers
song is called "My Aggravating Truth"
I don't like the title of it, but until I think of a better one, that's it.
I wrote all the parts except drums. I recorded the piano parts, the bass parts, and the vocals. The bass part will become more complex once our bassist gets back, I'll let him do his thing. But what I did works for now.
Thanks again!

Updated version: http://media.putfile.com/My-Aggravating-Truth-take-2-70

Last edited:
OK, some quick thoughts.
1) Did you mean to have piano in only one channel? I can only hear it in the right channel.
2) Sounds like the distorted guitar, bass, and kick at times are all competing for the same low frequency, giving the low end a muddy sound. Or maybe it was your intent to make it more dark sounding???????
3) Distorted guitar seems unbalanced, L>R.
4) There's a few places where the crash hits are so close together it gets all mushy. any compression used?

OK, some quick thoughts.
1) Did you mean to have piano in only one channel? I can only hear it in the right channel.
2) Sounds like the distorted guitar, bass, and kick at times are all competing for the same low frequency, giving the low end a muddy sound. Or maybe it was your intent to make it more dark sounding???????
3) Distorted guitar seems unbalanced, L>R.
4) There's a few places where the crash hits are so close together it gets all mushy. any compression used?
1) Yeah, I wanted the channel on the right side only, except in the chorus it is centered I believe. What are your thoughts? Do you like that how it is? Or should I choose something else?
2) I did not mean for that to happen, I didn't really notice it. Any chance you could tell me like at what parts in the song that happens? If I was going for the "darker sound" does it sound alright? What is your opinion?
3)Alright, I'll look into it. My right ear is like tons more deaf than my left ear so I have L/R issues sometimes. It sounded like L>R but I figured it was just my ears playing tricks on me.
4)I have no used compression on the overheads. Just on the kick/snare really. I'll try out some compression on the overheads.

Thanks!

its interesting.

vocals are a bit over the top. and the mix is a bit messy. its not bad for recording a whole band.

1) Yeah, I wanted the channel on the right side only, except in the chorus it is centered I believe. What are your thoughts? Do you like that how it is? Or should I choose something else?
2) I did not mean for that to happen, I didn't really notice it. Any chance you could tell me like at what parts in the song that happens? If I was going for the "darker sound" does it sound alright? What is your opinion?
3)Alright, I'll look into it. My right ear is like tons more deaf than my left ear so I have L/R issues sometimes. It sounded like L>R but I figured it was just my ears playing tricks on me.
4)I have no used compression on the overheads. Just on the kick/snare really. I'll try out some compression on the overheads.

Thanks!

1) For me it's distracting to hear an instrument in one ear only because that never happens in real life listening situations. Anyone else care to comment?
2) At about 0:50 for a few measures and again at about 1:50 for about 30 seconds, just as examples. Again, it may just be that "grunge" sound you're looking for. In between I love the guitar tracks. I think it sounds great.
3) I may have had my headphones on backwards? L? R?
4) It's worth a try messing around with compression on the overheads. Maybe parralel compression. I'd just experiment. May clean up the sound of your crashes a little.

its interesting.

vocals are a bit over the top. and the mix is a bit messy. its not bad for recording a whole band.

How do you mean over the top? Volume? Quality? Terrible voice? Lyrics? Thanks.

1) For me it's distracting to hear an instrument in one ear only because that never happens in real life listening situations. Anyone else care to comment?
2) At about 0:50 for a few measures and again at about 1:50 for about 30 seconds, just as examples. Again, it may just be that "grunge" sound you're looking for. In between I love the guitar tracks. I think it sounds great.
3) I may have had my headphones on backwards? L? R?
4) It's worth a try messing around with compression on the overheads. Maybe parralel compression. I'd just experiment. May clean up the sound of your crashes a little.
1)Yeah, I see what you mean. I wonder what others think on this. I always like to try and take advantage of making things stereo, so I usually spread things out to clear things up and also to take advantage of the whole stereo thing(like I just said, ha.)
2)Oh, alright, those parts. Okay, yeah, well the guitar/bass/lowpiano chords are all the same notes/progressions for that section right before the chorus. So maybe that's why it sounds muddy..? Hopefully if the bass part changes it will clear that up more. I personally don't mind it, and couldn't really tell without you pointing it out, but it's good to know about. Thanks!
3)I'll listen more closely and be sure to get some of my friends' opinions on the whole dealio.
4)Parallel compression? Not sure what that is. But I'll definitely mess around with some compression on them and see if it cleans it up a little.

Thanks for the input! Really, it's fantastic to get some constructive thoughts on the song. Thanks!

its interesting.

Not to put words in nopoetic's mouth, but I think he may be saying in a round about way that you guys should really start auditions for a vocalist. The instruments I think are honestly pretty good and show a lot of potential. I like your band. The vocals, honestly, not sure any amount of signal processing will make it sound good. Find a good vocalist with some good range who can carry a tune and your band will instantly improve 200%. IMHO.

the vibe of the vocals. they may fit with the song, yet I feel like you're trying too hard to sound like a "professional" vocalist. the feeling of the words is there, but it lacks the heart that I find necessary to bring out the meaning of what you're saying.

basically, you're trying too hard to get your point across. too many vocal theatrics. stick to the soul of what you feel when you sing those words and you'll get it to sound like you and not how a vocal coach would say you should sound. know what I mean?

Not to put words in nopoetic's mouth, but I think he may be saying in a round about way that you guys should really start auditions for a vocalist. The instruments I think are honestly pretty good and show a lot of potential. I like your band. The vocals, honestly, not sure any amount of signal processing will make it sound good. Find a good vocalist with some good range who can carry a tune and your band will instantly improve 200%. IMHO.
Alright. Yeah, we've heard a lot of things about our vocals, but we have improved believe it or not. Ha. But yeah, I very much enjoy singing and hope that my voice will become good enough to be accepted eventually. Thanks for the input, I'm glad you like us. Did you listen to any of the other songs by chance?

Thanks again for the input.

the vibe of the vocals. they may fit with the song, yet I feel like you're trying too hard to sound like a "professional" vocalist. the feeling of the words is there, but it lacks the heart that I find necessary to bring out the meaning of what you're saying.

basically, you're trying too hard to get your point across. too many vocal theatrics. stick to the soul of what you feel when you sing those words and you'll get it to sound like you and not how a vocal coach would say you should sound. know what I mean?
Yeah, it's a difficult thing for me. I can play a ton of instruments, but no matter how hard I try it's hard for me to get a good sound with my voice.

Also, I've been trying to make my voice more acceptable to people who listen, before people were just like "you suck." And I lived with that, because I did. Now I think I'm a Little better at least, but I guess I might be trying too hard.
I've never encountered a vocal coach, I've always wondered if it would actually help at all or not.
I definitely see what you mean. I'll consider it for future songs, not sure if I'll change this song, but maybe I will when we re-do the song.

Thanks so much for the input guys. It really puts things into perspective for me and helps me realize some things. Thanks!

Elliot

I'll upload an updated version of the song soon. No redone vocals, sorry guys, but some work on the guitars and cymbals and such.

no problem. I've had to learn on my own how to sing as well. I still need a lot of work, but I realized that its only going to be good if its honest. Too much stress to sound a certain way will just end in people seeing that its not you singing. Not really you anyway.

Just trust your own voice. Don't try to sound like anyone else. Even if the take isn't note-perfect, if the energy and soul is there, it over-rides some wrong notes.

I suggest listening to some hip-hop (any Wu-Tang, Deltron 3030, BIG, Busta Rhymes in particular), and some reggae (Damien Marley - Welcome to Jamrock feat. BIG, Eco-Mouse), the Beatles, the Kinks, and the almighty JAMES BROWN.

I'm not even talking style-wise, but if you wanna learn to control your voice learn from the best.

Elenore,

There's a local bluegrass band that gigs a lot here locally . They've spent a lot of time in Nashville recording. Extremely tallented multi-instrumentalists. I'm talking national champion quality mandolin, fiddle, really good banjo. Really tight band... There's just one thing holding them back from making the really big time, in my opinion. They can't sing, and they refuse to get someone who can. I love their music, I just can't listen to their voices. So no one buys their CDs. You've got some really catchy tunes and some good instrumentals, but...

no problem. I've had to learn on my own how to sing as well. I still need a lot of work, but I realized that its only going to be good if its honest. Too much stress to sound a certain way will just end in people seeing that its not you singing. Not really you anyway.

Just trust your own voice. Don't try to sound like anyone else. Even if the take isn't note-perfect, if the energy and soul is there, it over-rides some wrong notes.

I suggest listening to some hip-hop (any Wu-Tang, Deltron 3030, BIG, Busta Rhymes in particular), and some reggae (Damien Marley - Welcome to Jamrock feat. BIG, Eco-Mouse), the Beatles, the Kinks, and the almighty JAMES BROWN.

I'm not even talking style-wise, but if you wanna learn to control your voice learn from the best.
Thanks, yeah I'll definitely look into some hip-hop and reggae.
The thing is that in this song I really felt like that was my true voice, maybe I do it more in my voice when I play it live, where i really throw my emotion into it. But thanks again man.

Elenore,

There's a local bluegrass band that gigs a lot here locally . They've spent a lot of time in Nashville recording. Extremely tallented multi-instrumentalists. I'm talking national champion quality mandolin, fiddle, really good banjo. Really tight band... There's just one thing holding them back from making the really big time, in my opinion. They can't sing, and they refuse to get someone who can. I love their music, I just can't listen to their voices. So no one buys their CDs. You've got some really catchy tunes and some good instrumentals, but...
That made me actually laugh out loud. Very well put. I think I get the hint, and I'll definitely be running the idea past my fellow band members. Thanks for the compliment on the instrumentals and such. Thanks for the input. I see there is a general consensus here that we should most definitely get a new singer...Thanks again!

Updated version: http://media.putfile.com/My-Aggravating-Truth-take-2-70

live is always more real. its about figuring out how to get that energy through recordings. the balance of the two is golden. you learn what you're doing wrong and what you're doing right.

hey, I'm dieing for some input on my track, no one is posting anything. any help?

www.myspace.com/agentofmonaco

Definitely. Listening to it right now.
I like the feel of it, and the like ambient vocal/chorus deal in the background on some parts. The actual vocals are a little too repetitive in terms of pitches. But now that I listen to it a second time they grow on my more.

What are you looking for for critique? It all sounds pretty tight. The vocals maybe could be turned up a little for my tastes.

But yeah, I'm not sure what else to tell you. Sorry, wish I could help more. I like it.

i see what you're saying about the repetitive nature of it. i've had that problem with writing anything. i lose it on the changes. but you said they grow on you. im not sure yet. i started this song from scratch, no ideas previously at about 10am today and i finished around 11pm, so i'm looking for anything that could be improved.

i see what you're saying about the repetitive nature of it. i've had that problem with writing anything. i lose it on the changes. but you said they grow on you. im not sure yet. i started this song from scratch, no ideas previously at about 10am today and i finished around 11pm, so i'm looking for anything that could be improved.
Alright, I'll listen to it and see if it were my song what I would change. Get back to you in a sec.

Yeah, I personally would definitely switch up the vocal movement a little. Switch it up once or twice or something. But that's just me.
I would also turn up the vocals a bit. Otherwise, it's very simplistic in a way. But I think that is a good part about the song in a way. I dig it, I would definitely want to hear other stuff as well.

Still not real help there. I like it, just switch up the vocals maybe, maybe switching them up would sound even worse, I have no idea. Experiment I suppose.
Hope that helps a little, sorry I couldn't be more help.

haha. man i have the same opinion. i've been listening to this song for probably 2 hours and i guess i gotta take a break from it, give it a few days or so and come back. i know what you're saying about changing it. if i try and change the vibe of the leads it might just fuck it up completely. i dont know either, but its good to know someone else is just as confused by it as I am. maybe thats what makes it good or something. i dunno. i appreciate the input.

i have a lot of other songs that i've done, but nothing I think is up to par with what I can do now, and my band is working out an album right now. we have a few analog tracks up on our myspace, no vocals really, which we've been recording the past few days, but hopefully our singer will be able to finish the main tracks so i can do the harmonies and backups. if you wanna check em out.

www.myspace.com/humanzeetheband

they're rough but the vibe is there musically.

I'm a little late to this party...tried to your song, elenore19, but it won't load in the putpile.com page. Everything's coming up on the page, but the song never loads, so the play button doesn't activate... :(

Maybe there's a ghost in the machine. I'll try later.

Back