My band's first mix...

Elu

My band is currently working on a full-length. Below is the first mix of one of our tracks that we recorded with our friend. Thoughts? Criticism?

Life

Thanks!

Vocals are too low in the verse and right side guitar is too loud throughout. Amost nothing coming out of the left side in comparison.

Not sure about the tempo slowdown before the chorus at :51...

Vocals are a lot better volume at chorus 1:11...but could still take right guitar down just a touch. Left side guitar reappears here - good.

Nice chunky guitars at 1:44....could handle more of that in this tune....

Guitars and vocals seem to be sharing a lot of the same eq area. Maybe try eq'ing some to give each a bit more space to breathe.

Drums are ok but could come up and get some more bottom end. Can't say I heard any bass guitar on this at all...

The song itself is very cool, catchy, makes you wanna bop your head.

Just a few mixing changes I would make but YMMV......

:D

i'm playing with my new Dynaudio Speakers today and listening to some mp3 clinic stuff, and I thought I would comment. The beginning, I likey. it kinda turns a little Blink for my later on, but I'm more into heavier stuff right now so whatever. I find the guitars a little grating for me, I brought down about 4db of 1.2 kHz or so, seemed to helpe for my ears. i also took down a little in 300Hz (little bastard) and it made the drums sound a little less muddy.

I agree that the vocals should be out a little more, but if you Eq and bring down the guits a little that may help.

It sounds to me like the bass guitar is carrying alot of the low end here, I'd like to hear a little more kick low, but I do like the sound of the kick. The snare drum tends to get lost a little (almost like the drummer got tired), I like it in the "you remember how..." part but then it starts to drop off in the "I don't know part", then comes back in the "you remember when..."part. But that may be on purpose.

Also I think there may be some phase cancelation w/ the guitars. Listen to them in mono and see if you hear them drop out. Try reversing the polarities and see if it makse a difference.

But I'm still breaking in and learning my speakers, so i may be talking out my a$$

Cant fault the song itself, the structures are quite well organised. But like previous people have said, the vocals need abit of work. Certainly before the chorus the vocals are too low and/or being forced out of the mix by the other instruments around them. You definetly need to allow more space for the vocals. Im not sure how much compression if any you used on the verse vocals, but they seem to differ in volume quite dramatically at times. Try working compression to bring things more forward in the mix, it will smooth out your levels a bit more. At times it seems like a wall of sound, but instruments are getting in each others way. You got to allow for that space. Good Tune.

Back