My Attempt at Townes Van Zandt's Nothin'

HeyHeyMyMy

Red Member
Hi folks,

I'm trying to decide whether or not to upgrade my pre-amp, so I thought I would see what people thought about the quality of this recording. I recorded it live last night in my bedroom with my RE20 on voice and a Naiant 1Os on guitar. Both were run through my DMP3 into the Firepod and then into Sonar.

I've been considering getting a Grace 101, a UA SOLO 610, or something along those lines. My main question is: do you think it's worth it, or is the sound quality of this recording (albeit in MP3 form) decent enough? I'm sure the Grace or the UA will make it sound better, but considering my funds are very limited, is the sound quality I'm getting out of my setup OK?

Here's the song:

Thanks very much.

Thanks. Is it worth dropping $600 or so on a new pre-amp, or should I just stick with this for the time being?

I think you're getting a fine sound now. If you "WANT" to spend $600.00, go ahead,but first ask yourself....do I "NEED" to spend $600.00:D

Sounds very good -- there's some hissy noise, but it's not obvious to me where it comes from. The only equipment we have in common is the Naiant, but mine are pretty quiet, and I can't imagine it's the RE20 or the DMP3 or the Firepod. Is the DMP3 signal going through a second preamp in the Firepod?

Hi folks,

I'm trying to decide whether or not to upgrade my pre-amp, so I thought I would see what people thought about the quality of this recording. I recorded it live last night in my bedroom with my RE20 on voice and a Naiant 1Os on guitar. Both were run through my DMP3 into the Firepod and then into Sonar.

I've been considering getting a Grace 101, a UA SOLO 610, or something along those lines. My main question is: do you think it's worth it, or is the sound quality of this recording (albeit in MP3 form) decent enough? I'm sure the Grace or the UA will make it sound better, but considering my funds are very limited, is the sound quality I'm getting out of my setup OK?

Here's the song:

Thanks very much.

Man, that sounds great. I don't think another pre is going to give an appreciable difference. The song is good, the voice is good, it's all in tune, what more do you want?

Sounds very good -- there's some hissy noise, but it's not obvious to me where it comes from. The only equipment we have in common is the Naiant, but mine are pretty quiet, and I can't imagine it's the RE20 or the DMP3 or the Firepod. Is the DMP3 signal going through a second preamp in the Firepod?

Yeah, I noticed some hiss too. No, it's not going through a second preamp in the Firepod, it's going into channels one and two on the back, but the phantom power is off and the channels are turned to 0 gain. Maybe I'll try a few more songs today to see if I can't deduce where that hiss is coming from.

Thanks to everyone for taking a listen.

I think you got some nice sounds....the guitar is really pretty natural sounding, and the voice sounds like it fits this tune well....both captured nicely. Equipement seems to be working just fine...I'd be happy with this...very happy. :D

Back