Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: This is my ~30th Version. Have at it!

Thanks

This is my ~30th Version. Have at it!

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello to everyone!
    This will be my first post on this forum so i will give a little intro of myself.

I am trying to write, record, mix and master my own songs for some time now, with various success. I have been able to grow my experience gradually and looking back at my previous records i was able to learn how to avoid those mistakes.

I have also upgraded my recording equipment with some guitars, but most importantly with Rode NT1 and Focuserite Scarlett Solo.
    This mic & Interface have been a big improvement in recording quality over my previous chinese condenser mic setup.

I have finally finished a song that i feel is polished enough to show to someone else besides my wife and friend.

I would hope you can give me any kind of criticism regarding what i should focus on and try to improve on this mix or take in account for the next efforts.

Mostly i feel that i struggle with below listed things so i hope you can give me some comments on those:
    1.Voice clarity and Effects, Reverb. I would like to know if this is good amount or any other tips?
    2.Voice loudness, If it sits correctly in Mix.
    3. Mastering the final result to sound good on all equipment. Hardest i find is to master so that it would sound good in the Car. usually I will find some distortion or clipping in the car, although i don't hear any on my Headphones or speakers. I am adding limiters, and try not to turn the volume in Mixing stage, too much.

Sorry if the text is too long. The Mp3 Is in Attachment. This is like 30th version now
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Welcome, Haveatit.

I'm on headphones. The bass needs to come up a little, and the kick should come up even more to match it. IMO, the bass' notes should be shorter so as to lock into the drums, not the rhythm guitar. I think you could also do with less reverb on the vocal.

I'm hearing the lyrics clearly in most phrases - good job there.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spantini View Post
    Welcome, Haveatit.

I'm on headphones. The bass needs to come up a little, and the kick should come up even more to match it. IMO, the bass' notes should be shorter so as to lock into the drums, not the rhythm guitar. I think you could also do with less reverb on the vocal.

I'm hearing the lyrics clearly in most phrases - good job there.
    Hello, spantini and Thank You.

I have tried to adjust the bass and drums for quite some time, and the problem i find is that when i boost up the kick, it will start to trash my car stereo, while other songs with strong kick will not. So i can't quite figure out, why is that. Any tips how to solve this?

As for bass, it is the first time i tried to play a bass guitar and i really appreciate the suggestions, since a have close to none experience.

Also i am really intrigued to try and record bass locked in with drums and see how that would sound. Thanks for the suggestion, i will try that out.

Thank you for your input.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Haveatit View Post
    Hello, spantini and Thank You.

I have tried to adjust the bass and drums for quite some time, and the problem i find is that when i boost up the kick, it will start to trash my car stereo, while other songs with strong kick will not...
    If your car is relatively modern and still has it's original stereo system, it's likely the stereo has a set of presets or, if you're fortunate, possibly an equalizer with several adjustable frequencies. I'd play the song with the stereo-trashing kick through each preset and see how that affects what you hear. By presets I'm referring to JAZZ, COUNTRY, ROCK, CLASSICAL, etc., which will carry their own specific EQs.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    Really tight doubling on the guitars. The guitars had a little nasally tone tho. I didn't care much for that.

Snare sample was pretty good. But the drums sound canned.

I like the feel of the song.

The vocal was OK. Too much reverb for me. The performance varied - parts lacked energy and other parts really felt good.

The bass part was a little ho-hum. I think there is space in the low end for the bass to do more than a drone on the root note.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleM View Post
    The bass part was a little ho-hum. I think there is space in the low end for the bass to do more than a drone on the root note.
    That would really pick the song up, for sure. Give it some movement and rhythm
    "No healthy person waits in line with a slew of geriatrics on a Sunday morning for pancakes" - RFR https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt

Thanks
    Vocals way up in front. Guitars have no balls/thickness. Bass and kick do not sync.

I see what you are doing with effects, but there is not a continuity with the tune, so they seem overkill. They may not be if.... Just need to get a focus on the whole presentation of the mix man.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    First impressions - listening on average computer speakers (closest i can get to car speakers)... I think evrything I want to comment on has already been covered but here's my 2c worth...

The kick and bass really need to sync... you're losing a lot of punch by having different rhythms for each... ideally the bass should follow the kick to really deliver a knock-out punch.

Vocals are too far in front of the mix... reverb could come down a bit (ie. dial in more of a dry vocal signal).

Guitar tone is a bit strident... it pierces the ears so try EQing differently... reduce the highs so that they dont take your head off (especially those last few notes at the very end of the song).

Bass line could be more melodic rather than simply following the root of the chord...

Ummm... on the whole it's not too bad... the melody is pretty good and the arrangement also works pretty well for me ... the rest are just nuts and bolts...

Also, when listening on your car stereo, make sure that your EQ is flat... I don't know how fancy your stereo is... mine is very basic... just bass, mid and treble ... I always set each to 5/10 (where 0 is off, 10 is all the way up) and just listen for anything really obviously wrong in the mix rather than trying to hear and correect subtle EQ or effects.

Good luck! ... I'm sure that version #31 will be even better.

Thanks
    First of all, thanks to all of you who took their time to listen and respond with the suggestions and some good explanations.

I am really happy i found this forum, because i have no other experienced insight that would tell me what to improve. Mostly everything sounds okay for others. So thank you guys for that. I can see this as very nice, professional and friendly community!

Quote Originally Posted by spantini View Post
    If your car is relatively modern and still has it's original stereo system, it's likely the stereo has a set of presets or, if you're fortunate, possibly an equalizer with several adjustable frequencies. I'd play the song with the stereo-trashing kick through each preset and see how that affects what you hear. By presets I'm referring to JAZZ, COUNTRY, ROCK, CLASSICAL, etc., which will carry their own specific EQs.
    My car stereo has basic EQ, like Tekhed66 explained, with bass, mid and treble. Boosting for example the bass to higher, i get my speakers destroyed, but for some good studio record it does not. I am just wondering, what would be the steps to achieve this? Because i know that many people will set their EQ bass up.
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleM View Post
    Really tight doubling on the guitars. The guitars had a little nasally tone tho. I didn't care much for that.

Snare sample was pretty good. But the drums sound canned.

I like the feel of the song.

The vocal was OK. Too much reverb for me. The performance varied - parts lacked energy and other parts really felt good.

Can i understand what you mean by canned? Do you feel the drums should be more clear? Or some reverb added?

Quote Originally Posted by Tekhed66 View Post
    First impressions - listening on average computer speakers (closest i can get to car speakers)... I think evrything I want to comment on has already been covered but here's my 2c worth...

The kick and bass really need to sync... you're losing a lot of punch by having different rhythms for each... ideally the bass should follow the kick to really deliver a knock-out punch.

Vocals are too far in front of the mix... reverb could come down a bit (ie. dial in more of a dry vocal signal).

Guitar tone is a bit strident... it pierces the ears so try EQing differently... reduce the highs so that they dont take your head off (especially those last few notes at the very end of the song).

Bass line could be more melodic rather than simply following the root of the chord...

Ummm... on the whole it's not too bad... the melody is pretty good and the arrangement also works pretty well for me ... the rest are just nuts and bolts...

Also, when listening on your car stereo, make sure that your EQ is flat... I don't know how fancy your stereo is... mine is very basic... just bass, mid and treble ... I always set each to 5/10 (where 0 is off, 10 is all the way up) and just listen for anything really obviously wrong in the mix rather than trying to hear and correect subtle EQ or effects.

Good luck! ... I'm sure that version #31 will be even better.
    For the vocals, the only way i can understand to put vocals further away from front is using more reverb or adding some stereo effect, but then the vocal will not be clear enough, at least from my previous tries. Any other way to do that?

I Have tried to reduce highs on the guitar, but then it sounds too muddy on my opinion, and i don't know how to overcome that either. Maybe some tips for this?

Overall i really agree to all of your suggestions and they hopefully will lead me in right direction if i will find some ways how to fix it. The most impact i can see for the song would come from the bass if it is more melodic and synced to the drums.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Haveatit View Post

For the vocals, the only way i can understand to put vocals further away from front is using more reverb or adding some stereo effect, but then the vocal will not be clear enough, at least from my previous tries. Any other way to do that?

I Have tried to reduce highs on the guitar, but then it sounds too muddy on my opinion, and i don't know how to overcome that either. Maybe some tips for this?

Overall i really agree to all of your suggestions and they hopefully will lead me in right direction if i will find some ways how to fix it. The most impact i can see for the song would come from the bass if it is more melodic and synced to the drums.
    What I and everyone else means is that your vocals are mixed too loudly... in other words, they are too loud in the mix and the level should be pulled back a little bit so that they sit better in the overall song... dont add more reverb as that will make them too mushy but still as loud.

The guitar EQ might need some fine tuning... what are you using to adjust your EQ? ... the 'highs' might be OK but perhaps the 'high-mids' might be the culprit... you said that you have a Focusrite Solo... did it come bundled with some Focusrite plugins? ... they have a free plugin called Midnight EQ which is very good and allows you to adjust frequencies in specific bands.

Also (finally) perhaps try doing the final mix using a compressor (eg Glue Compressor) in your Master channel... that's assuming you're not using one already ... it can make a difference to the overall mix and could e the secret ingredient if used wisely... too hard to explain how to use it here... You tube has a ton of info on what it is and how to use it.

First thing to do however, is to fix the bass guitar / kick track... get them locked together and hear the difference.

Thread Information