My 30 second song for a commercial

Sounds pretty good. I'd probably have to see the commercial to really gauge it. It builds up a lot of tension and then just stops, but that might fit the commercial really well.

thanks - yeah it goes with the commercial pretty well.

now im just concerned if i should do some kind of 'mastering' before i give it to the commercial people. should i just run a compressor in the master fader or something or should I use sound forge or is fine the way it is?

My thoughts are these:

Because this is for a commmercial spot for what is probably a local commercial, the mixing sounds fine(ish). But also keep in mind that it will be played back to back with professionally produced content. I would say that the lead guitar is a bit thin sounding, and a bit weak on the distortion. Whenever I record electric guitar, I have to turn the distortion quite a bit lower than I like to play with, but in this situation, either a different distortion or more sustain might help it out.

The biggest problem I hear is that the timing is still a bit off. I never heard the first one, but it sounds like your "lead" guitar is getting ahead of itself and playing early on a lot of notes.

I would still say that the timing isn't tight enough. And I also noticed that the guitar seems to have intonation or tuning issues. That high note sounds pretty flat to me.

yeah im bending the notes. thats the flavor im going for. i think if i edit it anymore its going to be too 'protools' if you know what i mean.

im used to recording to tape for the last 6 months and i dont want to turn the recording into perfect elevator music.

honestly it sounds pretty tight to me but i do appreciate your input and your time.

People sometimes confuse bad timing and intonation with "human" sounding music. They are not the same thing. Sounding too "proTools" means that a mediocre musician doctors up the sound to sound perfect. Sounding human means that you play extremely well, you can bend strings to hit the notes you need, and you can play them with other instruments and have it mesh into one song, and you don't need to go back and have autotune or elastic audio fix your mistakes.

Playing sloppy doesn't give a good human quality. It gives an "I'm learning to play a new toy" quality.

I'm not trying to tell you that you are no good at the guitar, but when people use sloppy playing as an excuse to sound human, it doesn't work.

Back