My 1st mix - The Game - be gentle LOL

markuslee

I'm trying to do this whole mixing performing mastering thingy on my own. Here's my first mix, well the first one I'll let anyone listen to.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thank you!!

Attachments

• Game-3-11-15.mp3
    4.5 MB · Views: 23
I can hear everything distinctly (for the most part). Couple spots where the guitars smash themselves into indistinctville, but for a first reviewable, it's fairly good.
Couple of late hits in the guitar playing that could easily be moved in the DAW.
Like the Bowie-esque vocal.
Good song overall.

The drum reverb is pushing the snare and cymbals too far left/right in the mix. If those are intentional pans, stop that! lol :p

Mixing Multitracked Drums

Bring the bass guitar up a smidge.

The vocals are uneven, might consider doing some bus compression (routing all the vocals through one compressor) to smooth them out.

The SOS Guide To Mix Compression

Looking at the mix overall as a first, you did quite well. If anything your approach (whether intentional or accidental) resulted in a creative sounding mix. But the rules that govern mixing are there for specific reasons, and like with most art, until you understand the rules it's hard to break them 'artfully' without sounding amateurish.

I thinks a great debut. Personal opinion I think I the distorted guitars need to be a touch brighter.

well it's a period piece. very digital sounding, clear, but even though I can hear the bass guitar it doesn't really move air that much. But I kinda like that obscured dry sound. It doesn't exactly sound "pro," but it has another quality to it that makes it a bit more personalized

It does sound like a Bowie pastiche mashed with the melody I am Woman by Helen Ready [video]https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=I+am+woman[/video]
Pinky's spot on about the drums.
Mixing is a seriously difficult task.
Mastering is that to the power of 132.
You've made a good start to the mixing - now start reading, listening & tweaking.
When you get THE mix you can ponder the concept of mastering (and get someone to do it for you).

Back