is this music?? you tell me

aprilchangedme

hey everyone. if your interested, give my recording "Dont Be Silly" a listen at http://seanpatrickmiller.iuma.com and tell me what you think. Even if it starts driving your crazy, dont turn it off listen through it because it does have change. and tell me what you think, even if its that i am an idiot. ;)

Of course it's music. In fact, it's about 4 or 5 songs all playing at once. In that respect it's more music than most postings on the site. :D

I was gonna post something...but it wasn't helpful...

sounds like your having fun man...

Here's 5 stars...*****
Rock on,
Joe

Last edited:
Hard 2 listen 2.

I did like "Down in the mouth"I feel it has allot of potential.

I see your right down the road from me...stop in 4 a jam.

Robert Mark

Three elves w/gtrs, each playing a different tune :) A guy singing... kind of like Radiohead influence... but not as intricately laid together, and not quite the skill (yet ;))... it's more like an experiment by a guy who wants to record some music... and who's just starting down the path :)

Welcome to the board!

Chad

What is music anyhow right?

Actually...you suck in a really bad way. Well it's better than Drstawl's stuff.

I'm with Participant.

If you'd record this better, and with better playing it makes a lot more sense. And of course it's music - hehe, it's obvious I just visited my brother yesterday...a guy who likes to listen to screeching doors (Pierre Henry) or bleeping noises and tape echos (Stockhausen and Varèse) - anyway I digress, in my book this is still pretty conventional music.

But......calling it experimental music is not an excuse to stop thinking, or to stop worrying about sound or form (said Stockhausen once). You even have to work harder on your sound! With a nice 'conventional' song, people will recognize and dig the notes anyway and usually don't pay attention to the sound. This board proves that with a good song, you can get away with virtually anything, soundwise. But with music like this, most musical reference points are gone so you need to make it sound top notch. Just to make the listen as pleasant as you can. And yep, a clipping fart can be nice to listen too. As long as it's recorded and processed well...

Here's where I don't get off on this shit.. anyone can do this crap...just like throwing paint on a wall and calling it art. Hey...I can dig a hole with a spoon and call it excavating in miniature, Right?

Even though music can be simple in some of its purist forms, or wildest schemes, I feel that it has to be enjoyable by at least one person to be good. So, if you enjoyed it, I guess it made its way into the proper classification. I think most will think it is bad, except for those that are just thilled with just being able to preserve sound in some kind of storage medium...any medium...any sound. Those details aren't really important..., Right?

Personally, I think it's crap. Someone completely new to this form of sound manipulation could have the ability to do this without any prior attempts and do something equally as well. again, Right?
That shows zero talent and yes..you are an idiot for thinking you are unique with your sound contributions. How about body manipulations... any of those? Ya different there?

mixmkr; i never said i thought i was unique for this recording. I never said it game me credibility on any level like that. Alls i did was have some fun recording some jibberish, and asked people if they thought it was music. I dont agree or disagree with the fact that anyone could do this because they probably could, but who ever does? i am just seeing what i can do and what i can pull from people. If i can pull anger from you with some stupid recording, it only becomes closer to music in my opinion. Its not like i released this commercially...cut me a break. i dont have any "body manipulations" except for a tattoo...and if for some reason that too makes you angry, i apologize in advance for being such a huge idiot. thanks

I have heard a few songs that were pretty much just noise before, particularly from sonic youth. what did sonic youth do that made this type of thing ok? did they pour more meaning or skill into it? or was it just because no one really released such rough sounding "songs" before? I dont particularly like those crazy tracks as far as "yeah thats a real good song", but it does have some appeal somewhere. My guess is that it is simply sneering at the idea of what commerical music is today. but i dont know.

aprilchangedme said:
mixmkr....etc, etc...

no...I'm not angry at all. You just asked us to tell you what we think...and if you're an idiot or not. I apologize if my tone in my last post sounded like I was mad at you. I am most certainly not. I just told you what I thought (as asked) and additionally, I just think you're an idiot!!:D (for recording such nonsense!!)

thanks for sharing your ideas. Of course, if you have more, I'd like to hear them as well(body art and all!!:p <-----joke, eh??:D )

oh...btw, my last couple of threads have centered around a banjo...so that tells you my credibility. As a group, I have found that banjo players pretty much are always right. We do have a left too... so that doesn't makes us ALL right.

Back