music for making love

ametth

Sir Cool of Coronado
okay, heres another song of mine..still not finished(story of my life), can you guys tell where the missing guitar part is?

I really want you guys to tear this one apart, the mix is not all that great.

ametth

oh, bty..this is the song I'm putting on the compliation, if you want to wait for the cd, dont download this.

...and antother thing, I sang the wrong lyrics at one point...

[This message has been edited by ametth (edited 05-07-2000).]

excellent chorus...verses have the vox too masked...

on the verses...if I were producing, I'd open
up the middle by panning the guitar to the
right or left, adding room ambience with reverb to get it subliminally into the oposite channel...then because the guitar may sound unbalanced to one side, I would add
some countering strings on the opposite channel of the guit...subtle strings...nice tasty strings...dropped at the chorus though...

real nice bass chords.

that's my opinion FWIW. :)

Ametth,

I really dig the song! Really nice quality to it.

I must always preface my mix suggestions by saying that I'm listening through a lovely pair of polk audio speakers attached to my moniter. But here goes...

My ears don't hear much bass. I think it would really warm things up. Perhaps the guitars could use a little more treble brightness. I agree with ric's suggestion of panning the guitars with some stereo verb to allow them to bleed across the stereo image. The lower vox on the chorus work to great effect, and the piano adds nice highlights to the guitar part. I really appreciate that you graciously avoid the trappings of the stomp-box chorus, using it mostly for added texture. I look forward to hearing the finished mix. I'm sure its gonna be good!

BTW, Are you a fan of Sunny Day Real Estate?
-lzb

Great tune...have to agree with Ric about the vocals being masked...I really like the chorus and also agree with the idea of strings up to the chorus, it would make some good drama....I didn't (as lazyboy said) hear much bass, and I think it would be nice to have a little more bottom...chorus clipped a little for me when the vocals arrived, maybe just my speakers....gibs

Other than the recomendations already made, I like your production. Great drums! I can't wait to hear your final version of the song.

Thanks for the seggestions everyone, I will post another mix of of it soon!

Lazyboy, HUGE fan of SDRE :)

ametth

Nice Song Matt ! I was hearing Toad the Wet Sprocket in the Chorus . . . which was great BTW. Agree with others comments on suggestions for the verses. Well put together.

Regards,
PAPicker

Sweeeeeeet! Nice job ametth!
I also heard a bit of "Toad" in there, and also a bit of Betty Serveert... musically, that is.
Nice transition throughout the song. Well written - well performed. :)

Ametth,

I liked the song. Well written lyrics and well arranged music. I humbly disagree with a few of the posts. I thought that the bass was fine for that song. A few comments.

1) I would like to hear the vocals resung. There are a few parts that the vocalist sounds like he's straining. There were a few parts that the vocals were a little out of tune. Have the singer use more air support during the re-recording. This song has such great potential... everything one could want in a great commercial song: great lyrics, musicianship and arrangement.

2) The vocals in the verses need to either be turned up, or you may need to clean up the location around the vox so that nothing is fighting with the singer. (maybe using the panning advice you got above) The vocals are the most important part of this song, despite great musicianship. As you stated, it's "music for making love". Lovers like lyrics!

3) The verse section could have been sung with a little more air support. Even though they are being sung softly, air support is key so that things don't lose their life.

4) The snare drum rolls and stuff in the very beginning of the song were a little stiff to me. It sounds like the drummer may be focussing too much on the metronome (if there is one). I'd recommend doing it over (just the snare part in the beginning) and letting more spaces of silence be a part of the snare line. There's an Oasis song that I recall a few years back that had a similar snare drum part throughout the song. I think the lyrics were something like "champagne supernova... in the sky...". Listen to that for how they had a looser feel. Whatever you do, just not so stiff. In fact, since you've got the piece recorded, don't listen to a metronome (If that's the case). Just base the new snare part on what's already there.

5) I personally thought that the feedback after the end of the song was a little too loud and present (in your face). I would have liked to hear that part be more distant (maybe accomplished with a touch of reverb), lower in overall volume and fading out more quickly than it did. Use your judgement. Just my opinion.

Overall, a great song with strong commercial potential with a little tightening up of things. You said "tear this one apart" so I did my best.

Rev E

Finally got around to taking listen ammeth.

What can I say? Sounds awesome!!!

Especially the chorus - I really dig the panning of the guitars! Drums sound great! Vocals sounded pretty damn good too!!

An extremely well-crafted song - great dynamics!

Nice song, good mix. I think the vocals are fine up to the chorus. At 2:39, I think you do the hook line the best, if you can keep them all as consistent, should be cool.

I agree with pretty much everyone elses take on it.

- vocals could be a little louder during first verse.

- snare stuff at start - maybe bring down the snare (make it even more background) and emphasis the kick more?

Catchy tune!

Emeric

Just thought I'd pop in to say that I dig yer tune. I already told you what I thought in the chat room I know...but it's cool to get feedback in the forums so...

Did you get that CD done yet?

Slackmaster 2000

Back