Multi-platinum Recording Artist's Home Recorded Christmas Song!

Queue

Here's a little Christmas ditty sent to me by Chris Ballew. He's the former frontman from the Seattle alterna-grunge-power-pop trio "The Presidents of the United States of America". (The "Lump","Kitty", and "Peaches" guys...) He is a Home Recording/DIY nut since his pre-presidential days.

I'm the co-webmaster on a fansite Chris.Ballew.net, and he periodically sends us stuff for the site. He also mentors me along a bit by listening and commenting on my recordings that I send to him. This is his Christmas song he did for the website this year. This summer he upgraded his home studio. He had a Tascam 8-track casette, and upgraded to a G-4/Protools setup. Here's his notes on the song:

Basically it is all a C100s Mic for vocals and a drum loop that I slowed down a bit with a plug-in and the bass and piano and guitar are all through the POD. The whole thing was mixed in pro tools with plug ins that came with it. I want to branch out and get new plug-ins but I havnt had time to do it yet..

Vocals are doubled and run through a Pre Sonus Blue Tube pre amp. At 160 bucks the BEST mic pre for the computer environment I have found for the money and it only is a half rack space too.
that should cover it!
\chris

Oh yeah, the song... You can go in the front door, using the link above, and leave Chris a message (if you like), or just get the song with this link: Christmas Time is Here

Queue

KH,
Thanks for saying something... :rolleyes:

I'd have to agree on the keys, I'd love a little more of that guitar to poke through. I didn't even notice it (the guitar) on my first listen.

Queue

I heard that alot of great musicians come from Seattle!
Ill listen to the clip when I get home...no sound player on my work puter...
Peace,
Dennis

toyz,
You're lucky to live in Seattle, such a thriving music scene. I was there for a few days on business in 99, and had a ball.

You should catch Chris at a gig sometime. He always puts on a great show. He's also very down to earth, and hangs out and talks with fans... His current gigging group is called "Chris and Tad", I'm not sure if it is your kinda music, but very entertaining.

Queue

Yea the keys are LOUD, but everything else sounds pretty cool. The snare sound like the skin is kinda loose though. for my tastes atleast.

Ok. Keys are TOO DAMN LOUD. :) Like Kristian, I think the snare is a little thin.

Oh, and where's the kick?!

Groovy song. I have always liked this dude.

Back