Mud and panning check

grn

Here's another song where I believe I've gotten the mix probably 90% there, but I just need a sanity check to make sure the weight of the panned instruments is not too heavy to one side or the other and there's not too much mud. I opted to do some hard panning on this to make room for everything. This is absolutely what I would consider a somewhat sloppy performance... or maybe a swampy performance... I definitely recognize that.

Honestly, I don't know how any of this mix works. It includes a heavily processed upright bass, comped keyboard parts, an extremely processed dobro, a clumsy banjo part, vocals that sit outside the pocket, and layers of triggered and artificial drums. Despite tweaking the instrumentation heavily while mixing and the haphazard nature in which it was thrown together with a variety of players, it's working for me.

I welcome any other critiques as well, though.

Just a fair warning there is some language in this song and I don't like to go into the meaning of songs too much, but I think some context might help remove the shock value so the music is the focus. I will just say this song - at least in my mind when I wrote it - is about over consumption and not based on personal experiences... mostly.

View attachment I Said Yes - 26 November 2020 (REMIX)_mixdown.mp3

I can’t listen on good speakers right now but nothing jumps out at me mud wise.

This is a good song. Reminds me of 50s music. You wrote this?

I can’t listen on good speakers right now but nothing jumps out at me mud wise.

This is a good song. Reminds me of 50s music. You wrote this?

Thank you, yes. Now that I have some extra time on my hands I'm going through the songs I've written that didn't really fit with the band I was in and cobbling together something to release finally.

This is a really fun tune. It's very unique in that, as CrowsofFritz pointed out, it's reminiscent of the 50s a bit, but the lyrics and instrumentation betray that time period. It gives it kind of a cool, anachronistic vibe.

Great performances again, and although it has a loosey goosey feel, it very much works, like you said. Mix-wise, it may be a tad boomy in the low end, but nothing big stuck out to me. Thanks for sharing. I dig it! :)

Back