Mp3's--need expert opinions

Ishtar69

Hi, sorry about my first post. I accidentally hit OK.

Anyway, we recorded using Sonar 2.0 XL through an Audiophile soundcard. I used both AKG flat response headphones and my computer speakers (Altec Lansing) to listen to the mix. All I can say is that I mixed to the best of my abilities and my ears are about to bleed if I mix anymore. The songs are available here:

http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Astralis/

I'm going to re-record my vocals since I know I can do a lot better (I'm gonna try it a bit buzzed this time--maybe on Guiness). But my main concern is how I mixed the other instruments. Any input is appreciated.

P.S. My bass player told me that the songs are "all lows and highs, and no mids." If you guys agree, how would I remedy this?

hi ishtar and welcome to bbs. i have not listened yet because your site there is having problems it booted my dowload 2 times at about 70 percent. ill try it again in a little while and see what happens. anyway sounds like your mixing with the same setup i have lol. altec lansings and a set of headphones. the altecs i have have a sub and two satelites, they stink for mixing but if you keep them turned down realy low you can check the mids and treble more effectively that way, what i like to do is turn them down till i can here everything in the song and it aint rattling the sub because of bass.then what you do is listen for the mids and highs and see what you think. if there isnt enough or to much locate where it is coming from,guitar,vox/etc. pesrsonally if its just a small amount you can either cut or add with the fxeq in sonar. but if its major just redo the track and make the direct source sound better with the adjustment . the better it sounds coming in the better it will sound when you listen to it.now to check and see how much bass i gott going on i turn it up and if i get a lot of rattling going on then i find the source and cut it a little if necessary. also listen to alot of your fav cds and compare your mix and try to make it sound the same this is a great exercise to execute and it will help you learn, you can get a spectrum analizer somewhere on the net for free,im not sure where it is anymore though sorry, im sure someone will remember and tell you. anyway i will try again later. god bless tim pate

Download seems to be working now. I got a copy of Showstopper. I don't know if the bass player meant what he said about all the songs or not.

Buy anyway, I'm listening on real cheap (and small) headphones, and I don't think it lacks mids too badly. The guitar running the little riff has plenty of mids IMO. Now maybe on other sound systems it sounds different.

But I'm looking in my el-cheapo spectrometer in Winamp and there seems to be enough material in the high midrange (2K-4K).

The low midrange (around 700hz-1200hz) is a little different. It might be slightly lacking there. If you had a little more sound there, the mix might sound a little warmer.

But it was a decent little tune.

edit: the bass lacked a little definition. Maybe that's why he said there are no mids. But the bass was a bit on the muddy side.

i think it sounds great for the most part.

sounds like a better recording then what you did it on i think. however, the vocals sound like your gear (or worse).

I'd try:
- one track of main vox, and maybe just a few random backup voval things here and there....
- what mic you usin for the vox? sounds not so crisp overall, maybe add some highs to that to try and just make it sound a little more "pro" - i dont know, worth a try at least. ha

peace

Back