mp3 encoding problem

Rusty K

I've posted this thread in another section of HR but I haven't gotten a complete answer to my problem.

After encoding my wav files to mp3, I'm finding that they are clipping. I've tried several different methods....My multitrack software conversion, WinLame, and RazorLame. All methods have increased the level to varying degrees. On one particular track, WinLame had about a +1.5db increase to both channels, RazorLame was +.90db and my multitrack was +.50db. In the first two examples there was actual clipping of the mp3.

My conclusion is that this must be a common occurance when endcoding to mp3. My question is....what can I do to remedy the clipping situation? Is it ok to do further processing of the mp3 such as amplitude adjustments?

Rusty K

Did you try cDex like in my post to your other thread?

Also, any adjustments to the MP3 file will result in re-encoding and the quality loss will be 2-fold.

If you know that you'll get to exactly +.90db, why don't you just master the track .90db quieter then? It's as easy as that.

The different results are most likely due to different parameters you gave to lame. See the options of those GUI's. Razorlame conveniently displays the command line at the bottom. Any other software using LAME like the Audition-plugin, cdex or Exact Audio Copy (to name merely those few from the previous thread) will all give the same results, provided you use the same parameters.
Also, any adjustments to the MP3 file will result in re-encoding and the quality loss will be 2-fold.
No it won't. MP3gain works completely lossless, and you even can undo the process, just in case.

This software is really helpful sometimes. I once downloaded a mp3 file which peaked somewhere around +6dB throughout. It could be completely cured by just reducing the volume. You don't have that much luck on a ruined CD.

If you know that you'll get to exactly +.90db, why don't you just master the track .90db quieter then? It's as easy as that.

Yes I can do this if I'm in control of the track from the beginning but what about ripped files? I can't be the only one experiencing these problems. I think this is just overlooked by many and perhaps I'm making too much of it. It seems that in the mp3 download business, consumers don't seem to mind the inconsistencies.

I tried Mp3Gain with three tracks at once. I found the result to be that it leveled the peaks to the parameteres set but average RMS looked to be all over the place.

So is Mp3Gain the only "lossless" processing that can be done to the mp3?

Rusty K

Yes I can do this if I'm in control of the track from the beginning but what about ripped files? I can't be the only one experiencing these problems.
Most people just don't care, as they are accepting a loss when encoding to lossy formats anyways. And people who do care, use MP3gain on their entire mp3 collection.

But you actually can do the exact thing with a CD rip. Load the ripped track in Audition, convert to 32 bit, reduce the volume by the value your mp3 goes over 0, and then save it to 24 bit and encode it again from that file.
So is Mp3Gain the only "lossless" processing that can be done to the mp3?
I don't know any other. And even if they exists, they can't do any better than this (adjusting in 1.5 dB steps).

Back