Which MP3 Encoder

punkin

Univalve & Avatar Speaks
Two simple questions,...

1) Which MP3 encoder is considered "the best"?

2) Which MP3 encoder renders good results at a bargain price?

Thanks!

Some encoder facts

Hey, I wanted to post something about this soon anyway.

First off there really is no "best" encoder, per se. Encoders use "perceptual" methods to literally throw away audio information in order to save space at the price of some quality loss. They work by using some tricks using knowledge about how we hear. For example if two sounds happen at the same time and one is much louder, then we don't really perceive the softer sound much. Most encoders use this fact and just drop the information about the softer sound to save space. Bass isn't very directional to our ears, so low frequency stereo information can be folded down to mono without much noticeable degradation. Our ears are more sensitive to certain frequencies, and this is used to the advantage of encoders a lot.

Since they work on how we "perceive" sound, there's no way to quantify it. It's a subjective thing. In my own listening tests I found that one encoder may shine on a particular song and another does better on a different tune. Really, one may sound better on one part of a song and another better on a different part of the same song. Fraunhofer seems to shine at bitrates below 128kbps; LAME tends sounds best to me at bitrates above 128 and with VBR encoding (most of my critical listening tests with encoders was done about 3 or 4 years ago, so improvments may have changed things since then). Blade sounds pretty awful to me unless you use very high bit-rates, so I'd avoid that one.

All that said, I'm pretty darn fond of LAME overall. If you're using a Windows platform, just go to the encoders section at: http://www.mp3-tech.org/ -- they have a no-brainer install for LAME and a front-end for LAME called RazorLame. I haven't tried WinLame, but I'm sure it's a fine front end as well.

Why would anyone call their program "Winlame". It's mindboggling.

It's a front end for the LAME encoder. And LAME stands for "LAME Ain't an MP3 Encoder". How's that for mind-boggling?

I love command line utilities
I have one of these in every project dir

make.bat

d:\bin\lame.exe --bitwidth 16 -v --tt "The Rains" --ta "The Lost garage" master.wav TheRains.mp3

Just a quck anal-retentive note... if it uses LAME, then it's not a seperate encoder, just a front-end. Any LAME front end will have the same output, provided you use the same encoding options.

Thanks guys...I've downloaded several of the recommended products...I'll give them a go.

I guess I'm still wondering though if there's a better encoder as far as maintaining audio trueness. What would be considered "the best" or most accurate when played back?

Thanks.

Try CDex. Has about 15 different encoders to choose from (including LAME). You can try em all out and decide for yourself which one is the best.

Also supports VBR encoding, converts mp3's to wavs, rips from CD's, etc, etc.

WATYF

Its funny - I just went through this delima. I have 2 MP3 encoders - "Audio Grabber", a free, downloadable encoder, and the one in my recording software "Nuendo".

After much frustration with the sound quality from the freeware program, I used the proprietary one. The difference in sound quality was very noticable.
Its funny though, I never noticed it before. Critical listening and ear training definately pays off.

Back