Movie Score Help.

Erockrazor

I mix in (2x) real-time
New thing for me. My friend is making a short film and I haphazardly asked him if I could "compose" the score for his film. I have come up with this hunk so far. This is pretty much the trailer song. The beginning part that is quiet would be just background music I believe. I would like any suggestions you could give me with mixing and composition. I still feel that there is something missing in the song that would pull it together. If any of you could tell me what that is and maybe I can make a stab at it. Yes, I do realize I myself and not an orchestra or a great musician but if you could just point me in the direction of a better final product.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=9037

If curiosity strikes you, the movie is about a boy turning into a bicycle. Mind you its not supposed to be that serious (of a movie) but I am still trying to pull together something that he wouldn't be too ashamed of using.

Thanks for all of your help guys!-Eric

The score you have put together so far seems to have an ominous feel to it, which seems to be the opposite emotion if this is not a serious movie?

Then again, without seeing the script and screen-play of the movie, it would probably be next to impossible to make valid suggestions as to where to go with this, musically.

Cheers! :)

The score you have put together so far seems to have an ominous feel to it, which seems to be the opposite emotion if this is not a serious movie?

Then again, without seeing the script and screen-play of the movie, it would probably be next to impossible to make valid suggestions as to where to go with this, musically.

Cheers! :)

My friend wanted it to sound as serious as it could. The score for the trailer is supposed to start out slow and then by the end the main character is going to be getting chased by a bicycle. My friend intends to make the trailer look like its an extremely serious movie and very dramatic. I intend to have the score be intense and build up dramatically towards the end for the trailer. I would kind of like a mysterious sound for the parts in the movie, so the ominous sound is what I was going for during that part. By saying its not a serious movie ... I may have said it wrong. It is serious being that its not a comedy. It is not serious because the production will probably be less than half ass and editing won't be up to par.

I'm just seeing if I can find any more direction for improving the song. Thanks Ghost.:)

Hey thanks Tex. Too dynamic for internet video? I'm not really familiar with this but I am going to assume that since they're trying so hard to compress it down to a nice size they kill a lot of the audio to make it fit on the internet while they're at it ... in turn killing the dynamics.

I changed it up a little bit and I think it sounds a bit better now actually.I added a REAL :eek: violin loop ... needless to say it doesn't sound great but its the best I could do for the real thing. I might end up redoing the electric guitar sounds because they're pretty weak but here's the newest version. Thanks.Eric.

I am going to assume that since they're trying so hard to compress it down to a nice size they kill a lot of the audio to make it fit on the internet while they're at it ... in turn killing the dynamics.

True, but if you take care of it first it will sound better in the final product. If they guy doing the final mix is good he can do it properly but to most video guys the audio is just an afterthought.

I'm speaking as a guy who has had countless low budget movie songs ruined by bad final sound mixing. Back then it was optical soundtracks on 16mm film but now with shitty internet formats the limitations are similar.

If they guy doing the final mix is good he can do it properly but to most video guys the audio is just an afterthought.

Thats my least favorite part but to anything low budget, audio tends to be on the back burner. Sometimes the truth hurts.:mad:

I feel like the editor just plops the song onto the timeline and carelessly eq's,compresses or whatever else. Its a shame to compromise the audio that much.

Tex ... since we have our priorities straight ... wanna make a few short films? maybe a homerec documentary...

Back