Mostly cheap gear, but it works...

Adzzz

Here's the tune:

In Vain

I think it sounds fairly good, but I'm not happy with all aspects of my mix....still a bit to learn I guess ;) Some opinions from fresh ears would be nice!

The gear I used:

Behringer digital desk, Virtualizer Pro, Composer Pro (x 2), Ultra Gain Pro, Alesis Quadraverb, Alesis ADATs (16 tracks).

Mics:

Behringer B1, B5 (x2), MXL 603s, Shure SM57 (x8), EV N/D857.

Thanks,
Adzzz

I have very cruddy speakers, but that sounded very nice.

I am wondering if you could tell me how you got the guitar sound.

I am wanting to know:

What Guitar
What overdrive/distortion petal
What Amp
What Mic
Where/how the mic was set up

Thanks,

Sounds great!

Jim

kjam22 said:
Really fortunate you could get studio-vogue to host your mp3 for you.

I don't believe that paying 10 bucks a year for a domain name makes me fortunate, but each to their own I guess. What about my song man? No critique?

Hi Jim,
the guitar is a Yamaha Strat copy with hotrail humbuckers. It went through a cranked Marshall 9000 series head, JMP preamp and quad box. No distortion pedal. SM57 on the cabinet, pointed towards the edge of the speaker cone. I messed around with the EQ a fair bit to find the edge I wanted. I thought maybe I mixed the guitar a bit loud?

Adzzz

That is an awesome song. Nice breakdown, piano parts and smooth guitar. Drums are great. Very musical, almost an anthem. Rockin'

ya man. good job. A major 7th chord in a rock-pop tune. F maj7?...you tuned 1/2 step low? Sounded like key of A...but pitch seemed closer to Ab. (Listen to any Steely Dan in your life?) It worked well though...good song..strong changes...good hook.

I thought the mix was pretty good. Nothing bothered me...and that's a good thing! I am only familiar with the Alesis. I have never used the other stuff you mention. Being a guitar player..I thought your rig sounded good...57 on cone.....
(always a gr8 guitar mic) seemed to work gr8. Mic placement can make a BIG difference.
I don't have anything to say bad..so...Ill shut up now.
peace.

Well the song has a 80s feel to it...

but good job! nice song, nice playing and nice productions...

you certainly know how to use your gears..... :)

man, this sounds GREAT what do you mean?
I think you did a great job on it. The drums actually sometimes sound like samples (are they??? hahaha.) , and sometimes they sound real. The more I listen, I start to think it's samples, because of the awkward awkward toms. They rest of the set sounds nice htough.

And, the song's a hit i think.

I think your tune is one of the best I'v heard on this BB! The song itself is really good, and i can't really hear much i'd chang in the mix. That's the stuff that makes me reluctant to post any of MY shit here....great all around tune.

Awesome song, great writing, great marriage of vocal style and writing style. "Cheap gear" is clearly a point of view I can't relate to, I use cheap gear!

The guitar is a great sound, maybe the intro's riff gets too much play time, almost 1/6th of the song. Real tight ending. Improve the mix? Nah.

The drums are too tight, can't be a real drummer.

And M Havlen, this is not a contest, man! Post your shit to improve your next mix, no need to impress anyone here. There are a few idiots who'll rip your work apart, but most here will offer valid criticism to help you get the most from the gear you have.

Thanks for the feedback so far people! I think I mixed the guitar a bit loud tho. I'm gonna remix it again.

For those who asked, the drums are actually an acoustic kit recorded live in our jam room. If you listen closely to the hi hats and cymbals you'll hear his occaisional sloppiness ;) The drummer is really powerful and hits them nice and hard so I got a really hot signal to "tape". I reckon his timing wavers a bit sometimes though. But he's certainly talented.

Any other comments?

Thanks...

really nice tune...:cool:
how did you got those tight drums??
the gtr sounds really cool

congratulations man

Wow! Superb guitar tone, excellent vocals, everything's perfect! I'm in awe.. I'd buy the album!

Kept thinking, who does that sound like.. then I realized it was the Canadian group "Harlequin"! You've probably never heard of them... Vocals are very similar.

This is a band playing at once in a real studio? I'd like to know a few details about the recording... Great job!!

Very good song... nice guitar tone... congrats!

Sonically though, the mix has a long way too go....... the drums are thin and buried and lack any definition. The bass is mostly a muddy and undefined boom.

You basically got the vocals and guitar right in the mix, but everything else needs to be balanced for more punch, tightness, and blend (from a mix perspective, not performance - the performance itself sounded tight!)

Once again proving the theory that you don't need the best equipment to produce a great sounding recording. You should be proud of yourself :).

It does not sound clear to me. Sounds like I have cotton balls stuffed in my ears - almost a muffled sound. The arrangement is good but I think the recording has a little ways more to go. Now you can start pelting me with rocks.

Inspirational Job!

Man, if that's cheap gear you're using well then your're an inspiration to me.

When it gets down to the fine details of a song that has the basics in place, everyone has a preference. In this case if I think your own opinion is the one that matters most. Keep on trackin! (and postin)

BTW: I agree with the observation of some Steely Dan influence here. Nice to be compared with artist like that.

Cheers! Ty

Back