Moron needs help with mixing/clipping/tonal balance challenges (song link included)

So, I think this version is finally pretty close to acceptable (for me). I actually went to a mixing engineer to help and educate me. The various changes included (among several other things):

- a high pass at 40Hz for the bass and kick
- a boost in levels for the bass and kick between 100Hz and 200Hz
- a low pass at 5KHz on the bass, and 10Khz on the kick
- low pass at 150Hz on the vocals (really cleared them up)
- a high pass on the whole mix at 35Hz, and a low pass at 17Khz; and a reduction of 5dB at 250Hz

There was some other stuff done, but the main things were to boost and round out the low end (mainly bass and kick) while, at the same time, getting rid of some of the sludge. And then tame some of the high end without losing too much clarity.

At this point I'd say there are two issues. One, the mid-highs might be a little too high in the mix. Two, there's not great separation between the guitars and vocals in the mid-high range (they're fighting with each other a bit). But I'm not sure if I really care a whole lot about either of these. I'm just glad it sounds meaningfully better than the last version, which was borderline ok. This is almost acceptable to my ears:

You mean a HPF on the vocals at 150Hz? I can say I've not used a LPF on vocals except way up top (>~15kHz) if I think there might just be some noise up there.

And why do you post Landr mastered mixes? So is it the mix or the master I'm hearing - not gonna try to figure it out.

P.S. I kind of harbor a distrust/dislike of Landr - I mean, how many unique algorithms do you think they really have at work, a half dozen, maybe? (Joining the masses decrying/wondering how/why all music sounds alike - while letting computers decide how the music should sound, after they've been programmed based on how most music sounds...)

I only listened to V2. My first take is the vocals are completely lost in the mix. They seem to be swamped in reverb. The entire mix has too much reverb, but mostly the vocals. If they were dryer, it might not be as much of a problem on the rest of the mix. But as is, it's kind of a mess.

Back off on the reverb, and repost. I might be able to give you a better critique after that.

Trippy. Like others above, I only heard V2. I like it. I like it a lot. The fact that the vocals are awash in reverb doesn't bother me. Maybe you could reduce the reverb just a bit. You have a dreamy, modern take on a 1960's Marin County hippie vibe. If that's what you were going for, you nailed it. The kick is still a bit too clicky for my tastes, but overall, nice tune.

Back