Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: More tracks for everyone to practice mixing and have fun with!

Thanks

More tracks for everyone to practice mixing and have fun with!

Sign in to disable this ad
    First of all I'd like to give a big thanks to NL5 for assisting me in the upload process.

I have 10 tracks here, they all start at the same time. 24bit 44.1kHz .wav mono

The song is just a little improv jam, pretty psychedelic. The bass has some fuzziness goin on, just for a heads up.

This thread is actually a continuation of another thread I recentley made where I mixed the tracks and asked for advice on how to better my skills. But what better way then to give you guys the raw tracks and see what you can do with them, plus its fun! If this works out well, I'll have to upload some tracks from an actual song. Enjoy!

heres your link to the tracks: http://www.lightningmp3.com/upload/Jam Mix.zip

heres your link to the original thread I started: https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=257026
    [URL=http://www.aqueousband.com]My Band: Aqueous - www.aqueousband.com[/URL]

Thanks
    Downloading now. SHould have something back at some point today.

Cheers NL5 for hosting! and cheers Nick the Man for the files!

Eck

Thanks
    I'm downloading now Nick (that's a DAMN big file!). I'll get back to you later.

Thanks
    Hey Nick, heres how I think it should sound roughly. Hope you like.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=10823

I'm really digging the snare recordings.
    What snare/mics/pre's were used if you don't mind me asking?

Eck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecktronic View Post
    Hey Nick, heres how I think it should sound roughly. Hope you like.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=10823

I'm really digging the snare recordings.
    What snare/mics/pre's were used if you don't mind me asking?

Eck
    Nice! That was quick. I hear alot of the changes you have made, the cuts on the guitar and such. I really like how you got the bass to sound (if you could let me on that secret). toms also sound great, those are something I didnít spend much time on yet. However, I can't get used to the kick sound. I think itís just that metal kick that ive never been accustom to. After listening for a while now I really like the snare as well, what did you do to achieve that sound?

The snare is really nice, It's a Mapex Black panther with the gold hardware (if that makes any difference) Top and bottom mics are both 57's and they both run to my M-audio Octane.

I thought that I was going to be made fun of for the sound of my raw recordings, but I guess after hearing NL5s raw tracks, I canít expect to get those.

[URL=http://www.aqueousband.com]My Band: Aqueous - www.aqueousband.com[/URL]

Thanks
    Hmmmm, well, I only spent a few minutes, and used presets from another project I'm working on, so it's pretty rough still Left the Tom tracks muted as well as one snare track. Fantastic tune to mix. My old band used to um, smoke, and play improv shit like this for hours. I kinda went for a bigger sound as well as pumped up the psychedelic aspect of the tune. If I get some time I'm going to tighten it up and put the tom tracks in there.

edit - link removed - new link below.
    Last edited by NL5; 01-10-2008 at 15:46.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -B.F.

Thanks
    Thanks Nick.
    A true magician never reveals his secrets,
    but I'm no magician I'm an audio engineer.

For the bass I firstly used a compressor to bring the bass track together more using a high threshold and lowish ratio.
    Then I applied EQ (picture included)
    Next I used a multi-comp from 160Hz or so down, to tighten up the low end a bit making sure I used makeup gain to bring the low end back up to the original level.
    Lastly I used yet another compressor, this time with a low threshold and a higher ratio to tame the dynamics.

For the snare I used a little bit of the bottom snare compressed and with a cut in the low mids, boost in the lows and boost in the highs. I only used a small amount of the bottom snare as I think your snare rattler was a bit loose.
    Top snare was compressed similar to the bottom then EQd in the same kind of way as the top snare.
    I added a nice amount of room reverb with time of about 2.8s

Eck

Thanks
    I tried to make the jpeg ofthe EQ picture smaller than 64kb but I couldn't seem to, so sorry theres no piture.
    I cut the low mids and boosted a (GOOD bit) around 590Hz and around 1.9k roughly.

Eck
    Last edited by ecktronic; 01-10-2008 at 11:24. Reason: Got The Frequnecies wrong, sorry. Thats the right ones.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NL5 View Post
    Hmmmm, well, I only spent a few minutes, and used presets from another project I'm working on, so it's pretty rough still Left the Tom tracks muted as well as one snare track. Fantastic tune to mix. My old band used to um, smoke, and play improv shit like this for hours. I kinda went for a bigger sound as well as pumped up the psychedelic aspect of the tune. If I get some time I'm going to tighten it up and put the tom tracks in there.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/upload/meandbob.mp3
    How do you give your lightningmp3 file a name?
    I just get a number.

Eck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecktronic View Post
    How do you give your lightningmp3 file a name?
    I just get a number.

Eck
    It's my server - I can upload directly to it.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -B.F.

Thread Information